Main Menu

Vintage uniforms

Started by Walkman, March 24, 2014, 11:42:57 PM

Walkman

Our Wing legislative guy brought part of his large collection of CAP memorabilia to wing conference this weekend. I thought you guys might enjoy these vintage uniforms.

TarRiverRat

Love it.  I still say we need a like button added to the forum. 
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

MIKE

Those old style CAP distinctive buttons would look good in lieu of the Hap Arnold wing and star buttons on the current uniform.  The red epaulets are a little too Eastern Bloc though IMO.
Mike Johnston

SunDog

That's some bad hat, Harry.

Panache

Quote from: SunDog on March 25, 2014, 02:41:23 AM
That's some bad hat, Harry.

It's all fun and games until somebody looses an eye to a hat.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MIKE on March 25, 2014, 12:55:37 AM
Those old style CAP distinctive buttons would look good in lieu of the Hap Arnold wing and star buttons on the current uniform.  The red epaulets are a little too Eastern Bloc though IMO.

Or the old(ish) style CAP buttons that we could wear on the Tony Nelson jacket - the ones with the CAP crest in place of the USAF crest.

I see your point about the red epaulettes; however, I could tolerate those to have hard rank back.

I would wax lyrical about being proud to wear that old uniform instead of the sickly G/W...except that someone would likely say "we can't have khaki, it's too expensive so fuhgeddaboudit!"
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

pierson777

I really enjoyed your pics.  Thank you for posting them.  I would like to own a WWII era CAP uniform.  I've considered modifying one of my existing WWII Army Air Force uniforms to include the CAP buttons, the red epaulets, and the red sleeve braid.  I can't the see the sleeves of the jacket in the pic, but I assume it had red officer braids.  Is that correct?  Do you know if the red epaulets on the jacket were wool material like the rest of the coat?  Does anyone know if the jacket without the red epaulets was correct, or was that just one of those "a little out of the regs" things?

My home airport has a Commemorative Air Force museum and they host a "1940's Dance" every March.  Most of the attendees dress in 1940's garb including WWII era uniforms.  I would love to wear a CAP uniform just to be a little different than all the other AAF uniforms.  Maybe people would ask me about it and then I could explain about CAP's past and present.

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^^The red epaulettes were what was worn initially.  Later the USAAF allowed us to wear the same uniform as they did but with CAP insignia.

So, your USAAF uniform would be a good "canvas" for your 1940's dance.

I'd like an Ike jacket from the era even better!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

pierson777

When did the Civil Air Patrol patch come into being?  The one with the red rectangle superimposed over the and blue triangular shape that was worn over the right breast pocket.  Obviously sometime after 1947, but was it ever worn on the pinks and green?

If anyone has any wings, hat device, lapel insignia, etc. that they want to sell, I'm interested in buying.  I see them on ebay often, but they are out of my price range.  Who the heck is buying them at those prices anyway?

ColonelJack

A while back I proposed (here, not to the Uniform Committee) that we wear USAF uniforms with gray epaulets like the original red ones on the WWII Army uniforms pictured here.  It's an idea not without historical precedent.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Private Investigator

Quote from: Walkman on March 24, 2014, 11:42:57 PM
Our Wing legislative guy brought part of his large collection of CAP memorabilia to wing conference this weekend. I thought you guys might enjoy these vintage uniforms.

Now those are some sharp khakis and everyone knows my humble opinion.

Walkman, thank you for sharing.   :clap:

Walkman

I wish I had brought my other pro camera to take the photos, but I didn't ant to lug the thing around.

The WWII era is very special to my wife and me. Both of my grandfathers served in the war. I love going to re-enactments and things like that. I've considered getting a vintage CAP uniform sometime and attending an event in it.

BTW - I have a large set of photos from a re-enactment event on Flickr if any of you historically-minded people would like to check out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walker-family/sets/72157632827832563/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walker-family/sets/72157632654823161/

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 25, 2014, 11:42:34 AM

A while back I proposed (here, not to the Uniform Committee) that we wear USAF uniforms with gray epaulets like the original red ones on the WWII Army uniforms pictured here.  It's an idea not without historical precedent.

Jack

I would not be opposed to that, but there are probably those who think such a suggestion would tick off the USAF. ::)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Cindi

Quote from: Private Investigator on March 25, 2014, 03:15:24 PM
Quote from: Walkman on March 24, 2014, 11:42:57 PM

Now those are some sharp khakis and everyone knows my humble opinion.

Walkman, thank you for sharing.   :clap:

Yes thanks for sharing Walkman! Forget my idea about the blue airline uniform, this is the uniform guys! I love the buttons, the CAP insignia, the khaki color and best of all the Coca Cola patch. The cap might need some work though.

Back to the fifties guys! Lets hit it, Dale Hawkins sings Susie Q, 1957

arajca

Make the shirt light blue with an AF blue tie and get rid of the chest patch and use the majcom on the left sleeve shoulder.

Panache

Quote from: Cindi on March 26, 2014, 03:38:52 AM
Yes thanks for sharing Walkman! Forget my idea about the blue airline uniform, this is the uniform guys! I love the buttons, the CAP insignia, the khaki color and best of all the Coca Cola patch. The cap might need some work though.

That patch.  Oh God, that patch.

It looks like it something straight out of Space Mountain!

Garibaldi

I think I posted a picture of the historic stuff my dad gave me. I used to have a complete set of plastic WW2 ribbons like courier, target tower, etc. but I lost them.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Private Investigator

Quote from: Panache on March 26, 2014, 04:34:16 AM
Quote from: Cindi on March 26, 2014, 03:38:52 AM

That patch.  Oh God, that patch.

It looks like it something straight out of Space Mountain!

Exactly, I would give you a "e ticket" for that Space Mountain ride!   ;)

Nikos

Really like the Tan uniform with the blue hat and tie. :clap:

Cliff_Chambliss

Oh, lioke the uniforms worn by John Wayne and Robert Stack in the movie "The High and the Mighty"?
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

The14th

The one with the Coca-Cola patch looks like something straight out of the Fallout video games.

Grumpy

Well, we wore those in the summer and blues in the winter.  So if nothing else it would be more expensive because of having two different sets of uniforms.  But, yes, that's my favorite uniform.  Love the silver tans.