Main Menu

HWSNBN and Harwell

Started by Archer, March 05, 2014, 07:44:58 AM

Archer

What exactly happened with these individuals? I know Harwell is a former National/CC but other than that, it seems that all the research I dig up indicates that the membership wants to keep the controversies relating to these individuals all hush hush.

Panache

Short versions:

At the point Harwell was made National CC, that post was a Brigadier General (1-star) position.  Using subterfuge, trickery, and the darkest magics, when he was officially named to the post, he decided that he wanted a second star, so he made it a Major General (2-star) position, angering many in the Air Force.  There is a theory that the reason we're wearing gray shoulder sliders now (and maroon shoulder slides before that) was because the AF wanted to "put CAP in their place" after this.

As for HWSNBN, well, the less said, the better.  But let's just say it was discovered that he cheated on his exams to get the job, and leave it at that.

a2capt

..and I'd -almost- buy that except the National Commander position rank today is.. you guessed it, Major General. Two stars.

If they were that upset about it, why didn't they just pluck the star?

OTOH, we did have purple ..

Archer

I appreciate the direct answer. As far as HWSNBN, can you at least explain why the less said, the better? Without defeating the purpose, of course. Can you at least give me a string to pull on?

P.S.
I feel like these are the questions members ask right before the black 182's from CAPSOC show up.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Panache on March 05, 2014, 07:58:41 AM

At the point Harwell was made National CC, that post was a Brigadier General (1-star) position.  Using subterfuge, trickery, and the darkest magics, when he was officially named to the post, he decided that he wanted a second star, so he made it a Major General (2-star) position, angering many in the Air Force.  There is a theory that the reason we're wearing gray shoulder sliders now (and maroon shoulder slides before that) was because the AF wanted to "put CAP in their place" after this.

The important part left out of the otherwise well done summary here is ... the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force who oversees such things had approved the major general grade for our NAT CC, and the Secretary of the Air Force signed off on it, but nobody bothered to run it past the Chief of Staff of the Air Force at the time, and he was the one royally angered by the move.  Since the grade was a fait accompli, the CSAF flexed his considerable muscle by requiring us to switch to uniform components that would show even the newest, dumbest Airman Basic that we were NOT officers in the USAF.  The berry boards (maroon epaulets) were the result.  Later, after a couple of other CSAFs had come and gone and tempers had cooled somewhat, we switched to gray epaulets, and in recognition of the services CAP provided, our NAT CC was once again allowed to promote to major general.

Interesting note:  The major general grade to which Gen. Harwell self-promoted was never actually rescinded.  His CV, General Warren Barry, could have worn two stars when he succeeded Harwell, but (wisely) elected to remain a Brigadier General.

As for HWSNBN, well, the less said, the better.  But let's just say it was discovered that he cheated on his exams to get the job, and leave it at that.

Roger that!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

AlphaSigOU

HWSNBN was busted for having someone take an AF-proctored exam for him. His 'Corporate Service Uniform' (at least in the way it was introduced; it really wasn't a bad uniform once changes were made) and his constant firing of wing and region commanders apparently raised the ire of the BoG and he was unceremoniously sent packing. The cheating scandal is what probably took the cake.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

FW

"HWSNBN" was not removed from office, however his membership was terminated by the BoG for various reasons; abuse of power, falsifying a silver medal of valor award, FW&A, and a couple of lesser charges. The charge of "cheating on exams" was never proven, however the Air Force made significant changes to testing procedures for its AFDL courses after his membership termination.  We can also thank him for starting us on the path we are now traveling on.  >:(

flyboy53

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 05, 2014, 11:09:13 AM
Quote from: Panache on March 05, 2014, 07:58:41 AM

The important part left out of the otherwise well done summary here is ... the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force who oversees such things had approved the major general grade for our NAT CC, and the Secretary of the Air Force signed off on it, but nobody bothered to run it past the Chief of Staff of the Air Force at the time, and he was the one royally angered by the move.  Since the grade was a fait accompli, the CSAF flexed his considerable muscle by requiring us to switch to uniform components that would show even the newest, dumbest Airman Basic that we were NOT officers in the USAF.  The berry boards (maroon epaulets) were the result.  Later, after a couple of other CSAFs had come and gone and tempers had cooled somewhat, we switched to gray epaulets, and in recognition of the services CAP provided, our NAT CC was once again allowed to promote to major general.

Interesting note:  The major general grade to which Gen. Harwell self-promoted was never actually rescinded.  His CV, General Warren Barry, could have worn two stars when he succeeded Harwell, but (wisely) elected to remain a Brigadier General.

Roger that!

Jack

Your also forgetting the incident in the hotel where this national commander took a room reserved for a real Air Force two star.

jeders

Quote from: Archer on March 05, 2014, 09:13:42 AM
As far as HWSNBN, can you at least explain why the less said, the better?

Mostly because it has been discussed and beaten to death, resurrected, killed with fire, brought back, and finally buried in a deep grave under a mountain of ice. He's kind of like ABUs at this point, beyond the occasional jab, we're all a little tired of discussing it. If you want to read more, you can search here for HWSNBN, also known as Antonio 'Tony' Pineda, or you can search for U.S. Ranger Corps, the now defunct organization he founded after being booted out of CAP.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Panache

Quote from: flyboy1 on March 05, 2014, 01:56:03 PM
Your also forgetting the incident in the hotel where this national commander took a room reserved for a real Air Force two star.

That's a new one to me.  I've never heard that particular story.

AirAux

Another story I haven't heard on here.  We had National Conference in Atlanta when all of this was going on.  Supposedly, he arrived at the airport and was told to get back on the plane and go home.  He never showed at the Conference although he was scheduled.  I think he was removed/replaced very shortly after that.. 

Cindi

Quote from: flyboy1 on March 05, 2014, 01:56:03 PM

Now that is quite troubling.  The volunteer national commander of the Civil Air Patrol taking an Air Force two star's hotel room should give us all sleepless nights. To prevent this from ever happening again, the CAP should wear its own distinctive uniform without the epaulets of course. I suggest the airline style uniform once in fashion with our air force brethren:

:clap:

Cindi

Quote from: FW on March 05, 2014, 01:08:53 PM
"HWSNBN" was not removed from office, however his membership was terminated by the BoG for various reasons; abuse of power, falsifying a silver medal of valor award, FW&A, and a couple of lesser charges. The charge of "cheating on exams" was never proven, however the Air Force made significant changes to testing procedures for its AFDL courses after his membership termination.  We can also thank him for starting us on the path we are now traveling on.  >:(

Fred: I can see why you might of been "taken to task" in the past for your chat room postings. I found the following at another website. Is this the incident that you are referring to in your comment "falsifying a silver medal of valor award"?  Has the CAP silver medal of valor award been rescinded for these individuals for this incident? If so, this is the first I have heard of it. I always thought their actions were heroic. From another site:

CAP HEROES - "so that others may live" - Silver Medal of Valor Recipients: Maj. Gen. Tony Pineda, National Commander, Col. Dan Levitch, FL Wing Commander, and Col. Eileen Parker, FL Wing Vice Commander, received the Silver Medal of Valor. This award is the highest honor that is presented within the Civil Air Patrol. Each received this special award because they risked their life in order to save others when they came upon an automobile accident while returning from National Headquarters. Gen. Pineda assumed the duty of directing traffic and oversight of the accident. Because of the imminent danger to the trapped occupants and leaking fuel, Col. Levitch climbed through a window to assess the injuries of the four passengers, extricated them from their seatbelts and passed them through a small window. Col. Parker laid the victims down away from the vehicle, aided and consoled them.

:redx:

Panache

Wait.  Hold on.  Full stop.

HWSNBN got a Silver Medal of Valor for directing traffic?

And you're okay with this?

NIN

Quote from: AirAux on March 05, 2014, 03:24:33 PM
Another story I haven't heard on here.  We had National Conference in Atlanta when all of this was going on.  Supposedly, he arrived at the airport and was told to get back on the plane and go home.  He never showed at the Conference although he was scheduled.  I think he was removed/replaced very shortly after that..

I remember that. .
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Panache on March 05, 2014, 04:01:20 PM

It was worse than that.  HWSNBN gave himself the SMV, for a traffic accident that investigation determined never actually happened, and pushed it through the Awards Committee (along with those for Levitch and Parker).  Look at the photo.  See how uncomfortable with all this nonsense Levitch appears.  See how Parker doesn't look all that thrilled.  It had to be right about this time that these two realized just what they'd tied their legacies in CAP to.

Nobody in CAP was okay with this, the "final straw".

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

ColonelJack

Quote from: AirAux on March 05, 2014, 03:24:33 PM

He was quite brazen about declaring that he would be at the conference, presiding in his role as NAT CC...and that the BoG didn't have the authority to tell him he couldn't be there.

As noted, he did not show up at the conference.

Do the math.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Panache on March 05, 2014, 04:01:20 PM

The good ole boy network is strong.

You look the other way at the Squadron level, then Group, Wing, Region and National falls like a house of cards. It is all about integrity and at all levels we have shortages of integrity.  8)

a2capt

Quote from: Cindi on March 05, 2014, 03:58:02 PMFred: I can see why you might of been "taken to task" in the past for your chat room postings.
Irony Strikes Twice.

Such a darling photo, they all look so thrilled, with an expression of "I hope they never investigate this.." But after all, it must be true. They're volunteers.. who volunteered themselves to the award. ANY ONE OF THEM could have spoken up.

I really need some of that Kool-aid..

capmaj

So is it naive to think that the award/s were later revoked! Or are they still in place due to at least one of the recipients still being with CAP at National?