What Wing Commander had the shortest tour/term?

Started by Private Investigator, February 23, 2014, 06:38:39 PM

Private Investigator

Not to highjack another thread. I was wondering how many Wing Commanders do not last six months?  ???

a2capt

Muniz, the Pineda Puppet Fake CC installed in CAWG.. 5 months, 17.5 days.

Moral was so bad, they had to cancel a Wing Conference because hardly anyone signed up.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 - September 11, 2007

Cindi

Quote from: a2capt on February 23, 2014, 07:22:17 PM

Moral was so bad, they had to cancel a Wing Conference because hardly anyone signed up.

I believe there is a Colonel Jesus Muniz who is or was not to recently the Rocky Mountain Region Vice Commander. Is this the same Jesus Muniz who was once commander of the California Wing? I think we should praise Colonel Muniz for his service, no matter how one assignment might of turned out. He is a volunteer after all. Commanding a wing as large as California has to be a very tough assignment. Thank you for your service Colonel Muniz!  :clap:

Speaking of 2007, those were the days! I think Amy still has this picture hanging above her fireplace:  ;D

ZigZag911

A few years back IN WG officer (I think CS) was appointed wing commander and almost immediately removed, within less than a week...some sort of struggle for control within the wing and at  region/National levels.

Seemed kind of unfair to me at the time, the guy had some innovative ideas...besides, that's a lousy way to treat someone.

MSG Mac

NHWG had two commanders who were not only replaced within a week, the records of the Command were erased at National. One lived in Kittery Maine (the North side of Portsmouth Harbor), the other in Tyngsboro, MA, a stones throw from the NH state line. The assumption was that the State wouldn't support some one who live outside NH, despite their having been members of the Wing for years. ERGO no state appropriations.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

We had a conference that year. That's the same year Ed Lewis and Dion DeCamp died.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Yes, we did have a conference that year. But it was not the one that was originally scheduled, that they were begging people to sign up for. That was supposed to be at March ARB, on the weekend of 28-30 March. They cancelled it the week after Muniz was canned, with about 3 weeks remaining, having only less than 30 people sign up for it by that close in. Mostly staff that committed. When you've got to resort to trying to lure people by saying there will be a dunk tank..  you know you're sunk. Morale was -really- in the toilet. The national membership numbers for the next couple years showed it well. The conference was rescheduled and held in November, in Ontario.

Remember, Pineda was a volunteer, too. We all know how well that turned out. No thanks. Shenanigans on other members trump recognition.

SarDragon

Quote from: Cindi on February 23, 2014, 07:49:10 PM

I believe there is a Colonel Jesus Muniz who is or was not to recently the Rocky Mountain Region Vice Commander. Is this the same Jesus Muniz who was once commander of the California Wing? I think we should praise Colonel Muniz for his service, no matter how one assignment might of turned out. He is a volunteer after all. Commanding a wing as large as California has to be a very tough assignment. Thank you for your service Colonel Muniz!  :clap:

Speaking of 2007, those were the days!

[pic redacted]

I don't think this the same guy. I don't recall exactly what he looked like, so can't say yea or nay, based on the pic. IIRC, "Muniz, the Pineda Puppet Fake CC installed in CAWG" didn't keep his eagles, and exited CAP some time later. There is only Muniz in eServices, attached to PRWG.

I had personal dealings with him prior to his time as CAWG CC, and let's just say that I was disappointed at his appointment.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cindi

I don't think this the same guy. I don't recall exactly what he looked like, so can't say yea or nay, based on the pic. IIRC, "Muniz, the Pineda Puppet Fake CC installed in CAWG" didn't keep his eagles, and exited CAP some time later. There is only Muniz in eServices, attached to PRWG.

I had personal dealings with him prior to his time as CAWG CC, and let's just say that I was disappointed at his appointment.

Here is General Vazquez, Colonel Jesus Muniz (holding the certificate) and General Carr at the 2012 Commanders Course Graduation:

Is this the same Colonel Jesus Muniz from California Wing? If not, in fairness, everyone should know there are two Colonel Jesus Munizes out there.

bosshawk

If my old brain still remembers, the Col who commanded CAWG briefly was named Munoz and he retired soon after getting canned.  I was the CD Director at the time and he and I had a number of things in common in that regard, so I heard from him a time or two after he lost his eagles.

When all is said and done, what difference does it make?  That was seven years ago.  A couple of you guys from CAWG didn't have the close dealings with a  follow-on Wing King that I had and you can be glad for that.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

NIN

Quote from: SarDragon on February 24, 2014, 01:38:20 AM

IIRC, the guy appointed to be the CA Wing commander was from Colorado, so that might track, sorta.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Search is your friend: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1795.msg28698#msg28698

Quote from: bosshawk
"Folks: Gen Pineda has struck again: this time, the California Wing Commander, Col Virginia Nelson, has been relieved of command.  Stated reason: disagreement with CAP auditors over the location of some "restricted" funds.  No funds missing, according to the email received yesterday from CAWG CC.

With all of the conversation on this thread about the good General and his firings, thought that some of you might be interested.

LtCol Jesse Munoz(or Muniz), currently of CO Wg, named as interim commander.  He is apparently a former CAWG member.

Stand by to stand by."

March 25, 2007

Edit: WOW - that thread!  My eyes!  The goggles do nothing!

"That Others May Zoom"

Cindi

Quote from: NIN on February 24, 2014, 02:05:57 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 24, 2014, 01:38:20 AM

IIRC, the guy appointed to be the CA Wing commander was from Colorado, so that might track, sorta.

Well they are both named Jesus Muniz. Maybe they are related. If we are lucky, an Anthony Pineda will apply for the National Commander's job.  ;D

Virginia - If Tony Pineda is on the line, don't take the call:

"To all members of California Wing,

Major General Tony Pineda called and relieved me of command effective today. The recent audit of CAWG finances showed that while there is no money missing from CAWG, there is disagreement on the amount of restricted funds in CAWG's books. A number of you have been working to help clarify the situation and I owe you thanks for all your time and effort. MGen Pineda feels appointing a new wing commander would be beneficial in rectifying this situation. He has appointed LtCol Jesus Muniz as the interim commander. LtCol Muniz was recently a member of Sq 144 and is currently serving as the Colorado Wing Director of Aerospace Education. He can be reached at [email redacted]

I would like to thank all the members of CAWG for their hard work and dedication to our missions, to our squadrons, and to CAWG. I treasure the time I have spent with each of you. Let's all work together to continue to make CAWG the best in CAP.

Virginia Nelson"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

The PRWG photo is the same individual. 5 months, 17 days. Less than half of the year probation period. Pineda was removed month later. PR is four time zones from CA.

Cindi

Quote from: a2capt on February 24, 2014, 02:19:16 AM
The PRWG photo is the same individual. 5 months, 17 days. Less than half of the year probation period. Pineda was removed month later. PR is four time zones from CA.

So there is only one Colonel (LtCol) Jesus Muniz. Glad we cleared that up. Seems he has made some new friends. I wish him the best and thank him for his service!

PHall

And Virginia finally got her Eagles back and she is now the PACR/CV.

Cindi

Quote from: PHall on February 24, 2014, 02:39:19 AM

All's well that ends well!

SarDragon

Quote from: Cindi on February 24, 2014, 02:32:30 AM
Quote from: a2capt on February 24, 2014, 02:19:16 AM

So there is only one Colonel (LtCol) Jesus Muniz. Glad we cleared that up. Seems he has made some new friends. I wish him the best and thank him for his service!

IMHO, the only member he ultimately served was himself. YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Quote from: SarDragon on February 24, 2014, 03:08:11 AMIMHO, the only member he ultimately served was himself. YMMV.
... and someone gave him (back) the bird ... Amazing. The whole era was majorly disappointing, and itself should not be forgotten, lest we go there again.

FW

Quote from: Cindi on February 24, 2014, 02:45:14 AM
Quote from: PHall on February 24, 2014, 02:39:19 AM

All's well that ends well!

I'm also glad Col Nelson got her Eagles back, however her relief from command was justified.  CAWG, at the time, had almost $250k unaccounted for in aircraft maintanence funds.  This was due to a long and improper practice of letting squadrons have the money without accounting for it.  Col Nelson refused to correct the practice and deal with the shortfalls.  The Air Force insisted we pay back the money.  When Col Nelson refused to come to terms, she was relieved of command.  The entire  membership of CAP ended up paying for the shortfall when Gen Courter forgave CAWG's debt, and promoted Virginia to the grade of Col. 

Other wings had also had such shortfalls, however no other wing's debt was forgiven that I know of, and no other commander was relieved because of it. 

Quote from: a2capt on February 24, 2014, 03:11:02 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 24, 2014, 03:08:11 AMIMHO, the only member he ultimately served was himself. YMMV.
... and someone gave him (back) the bird ... Amazing. The whole era was majorly disappointing, and itself should not be forgotten, lest we go there again.

Our recent history has been full of such nonsense.  Our present governance is partially the result.  We must all remember what we went through and build a stronger foundation; holding our core values to heart, and focusing on serving our communities as the professionals we train to be.

"it is what it is" (anon)... :(

SarDragon

I know that you were a lot closer to the situation than the rank and file folks here in CAWG, but the word I was given by two different legal beagles in the wing was that the money was: a. never missing, just "improperly accounted for", and b. the money was paid back via reduced wing dues disbursements ver some period of time.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

What you heard was misleading. The funds were not just unaccounted for. Squadrons used them for other purposes. The wing paid back only a very small portion of the debt by the time it was forgiven.

The point I'm trying to make is; these political decisions don't do much good for CAP. We should do better.

Airfoil

I recall Vern Fowler in Georgia Wing had a pretty short stay before his hasty departure.

Private Investigator

Quote from: FW on February 24, 2014, 10:58:40 AM
What you heard was misleading. The funds were not just unaccounted for. Squadrons used them for other purposes. The wing paid back only a very small portion of the debt by the time it was forgiven.

The point I'm trying to make is; these political decisions don't do much good for CAP. We should do better.

You are saying, basically they were commingling funds. It happens all the time in the corporate world but anyways I can see why we went to "Wing Banker".

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 25, 2014, 08:42:31 PMYou are saying, basically they were commingling funds. It happens all the time in the corporate world but anyways I can see why we went to "Wing Banker".

Part of the problem is that many wings were (are?) assigning aircraft to squadrons and then
actually expecting the units to cover some maintenance and incidentals costs - I've heard some
horror stories about big dollars being expected from squadrons.

As said, WBP, CMX, and other controls have all but eliminated these as even possible anymore,
and the fact that Col Nelsen got her eagles back is a clear indication that things may not have been
done correctly, but in the grande scheme, no fraud was alleged.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 25, 2014, 08:42:31 PM

You are saying, basically they were commingling funds. It happens all the time in the corporate world but anyways I can see why we went to "Wing Banker".
Not comingling - misappropriating funds. If the funds are provided for a specific purpose, then used for something else, that's misappropriation. Also not uncommon in the corporate world, but can create serious issues.

Private Investigator

Quote from: arajca on February 25, 2014, 09:31:16 PM

Not comingling - misappropriating funds. If the funds are provided for a specific purpose, then used for something else, that's misappropriation. Also not uncommon in the corporate world, but can create serious issues.

If you wrote a check on acct #5150 instead of on acct #5051, you made a boo boo and it will get corrected. It is different if you wrote a check on acct #5150 for your mistress in Belize. Then I will come and get you   8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2014, 09:21:23 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on February 25, 2014, 08:42:31 PMYou are saying, basically they were commingling funds. It happens all the time in the corporate world but anyways I can see why we went to "Wing Banker".

Part of the problem is that many wings were (are?) assigning aircraft to squadrons and then
actually expecting the units to cover some maintenance and incidentals costs - I've heard some
horror stories about big dollars being expected from squadrons.

As said, WBP, CMX, and other controls have all but eliminated these as even possible anymore,
and the fact that Col Nelsen got her eagles back is a clear indication that things may not have been
done correctly, but in the grande scheme, no fraud was alleged.

I concur   :clap:

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on February 25, 2014, 09:31:16 PMNot comingling - misappropriating funds. If the funds are provided for a specific purpose, then used for something else, that's misappropriation. Also not uncommon in the corporate world, but can create serious issues.

I agree, but it's a fine line.

"Misappropriation" infers theft. "Misaccounting" is probably a better term.  To bean counters in the GAO it may mean the same
thing, but they are used to operating in a mostly employee environment where everyone in the room is getting paid, plus expenses
and sometimes housing and life expenses.   In that world, "misappropriation" is self-enrichment.

In a CAP paradigm, it's usually someone trying to do the right thing, who uses the wrong pen, wrong account code, or
puts the gas bill in the electric company envelope and forgets to sign the electric bill.  And usually the people involved
have paid for the privilege of being accused of stealing.

For every pizza sale bug-out, there's 1000 man hours spent doing ROS' for a $6 car adapter, or a 20-year old broken typewriter
someone mid-classified as FOB.

Personally, I've seen plenty of situations where people were just "lights off", made bad decisions, or who can't balance
their own checkbook, but few and far between actual malfeasance.  With that sad, I also know of a number
of high-visibility, high-dollar outright thefts that wee the catalyst for many f our rules an procedures.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 25, 2014, 09:42:24 PM
Quote from: arajca on February 25, 2014, 09:31:16 PM

If you wrote a check on acct #5150 instead of on acct #5051, you made a boo boo and it will get corrected. It is different if you wrote a check on acct #5150 for your mistress in Belize. Then I will come and get you   8)

Aircraft maintanence funds are restricted to just that.  If a squadron uses the money to pay for anything else; FWA!  The Air Force is never happy when taxpayer assets are missused.  Because this was pre WB and CMX, we can say it was just sloppy book keeping. It is why the Air Force just wanted a refund instead of someone's head in a box.  That a commander would refuse to correct such.... not so good. 

Eclipse

Quote from: FW on February 25, 2014, 10:43:02 PMThat a commander would refuse to correct such.... not so good.

Yeah, that's the weird wrinkle in this.

Caught with a major error, just fix it.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Not exactly as dramatic as a removal from command, but if memory serves correct, I remember reading about a wing commander back in the 70s that died after only 3 months into the position during a CAP aircraft accident.  I think it was Iowa or Nebraska. 

a2capt

That hand's off, no ruffled feathers approach .. which tended to be what it was, especially if it wasn't cadet-centric, does not always end well. :)

The type of command that you could bring a clear problem to the table, have a discussion on it, and leave not knowing if anything was going to happen, or if they even believe anything is wrong.. 

Eclipse

It's an interesting paradigm - for all the rhetoric about being a military auxiliary, being officers, and now the NCO reboot,
pomp and circumstance, etc., the one part that we actually need - "doing what you're directed to do, when you're directed to do it,
in the manner you are directed to do it, like it or not", is all but left on the table.

And in many organizations which have similar missions and purpose, that's pretty much the only thing that is expected, to
the exclusion of everything else.  "Do what you're told, or leave".

Everyone can't be "empowered, self-directed, and self-actualized" while at the same time beholden to higher authority.

"That Others May Zoom"

spaatzmom

Antonio J. Pineda, Jr.
Major General
Past Commander, Florida Wing, CAP
(Aug 10-Dec. 13, 1996

Joseph M. Martin
Colonel
( August 18, 2001. to 11-SEP-2001) As a result of incompatible differences with the Region Commander at the time, then Colonel Antonio J. Pineda, Jr., he resigned from the position and now retains the grade of Lieutenant Colonel.

a2capt

What a joke, how they didn't see that coming .. so sad.

MSG Mac

Quote from: spaatzmom on February 26, 2014, 12:38:36 AM

Antonio J. Pineda, Jr.
Major General
(Aug 10-Dec. 13, 1996

Joseph M. Martin
Colonel
( August 18, 2001. to 11-SEP-2001) As a result of incompatible differences with the Region Commander at the time, then Colonel Antonio J. Pineda, Jr., he resigned from the position and now retains the grade of Lieutenant Colonel.

His son Col. Joseph M. Martin Jr became FLWG/CC three years later. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

Oh, good lord. I read that at first as another Pineda .. good god, no. Scarlet Letter all the way. I'm sorry, but just No.

spaatzmom

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 26, 2014, 02:10:39 AM
Quote from: spaatzmom on February 26, 2014, 12:38:36 AM

Antonio J. Pineda, Jr.
Major General
(Aug 10-Dec. 13, 1996

Joseph M. Martin
Colonel

His son Col. Joseph M. Martin Jr became FLWG/CC three years later.

Yup and both the Martin's are very honorable men.  Florida wing is fortunate to have them.

Chappie

Quote from: bosshawk on February 24, 2014, 02:00:15 AM
If my old brain still remembers, the Col who commanded CAWG briefly was named Munoz and he retired soon after getting canned.  I was the CD Director at the time and he and I had a number of things in common in that regard, so I heard from him a time or two after he lost his eagles.

When all is said and done, what difference does it make?  That was seven years ago.  A couple of you guys from CAWG didn't have the close dealings with a  follow-on Wing King that I had and you can be glad for that.

I was at an evaluated SARX in Bakersfield while he was the Commander.   It was the first time I met him and was the last time I saw him.  Later that afternoon, the SARX was shut down because somehow the base staff "lost" an aircraft.   The aircraft was not responding to the reporting in and to repeated calls.   Long story short...someone had confused the tail numbers/call signs.  They were out there but not identified correctly.    It was a very scary period of time....especially with the PCR Liaison Officer on board.  Everyone breathed a big sigh of relief when the mistake was learned and that all on board were safe.   Needless to say, it was not the evaluation did not go well.

He may be a great guy and all...but he was not a good fit for the CAWG.  Very unfortunate for both he and the wing.

Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Private Investigator

That first week in September 2007 was the Fossett search too. Interesting times indeed.  8)