Happy 72nd Anniversary Civil Air Patrol

Started by James Shaw, December 01, 2013, 11:19:45 AM

James Shaw

Today marks the 72nd Anniversary of the founding  of Civil Air Patrol.  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

BillB

Does it?  The order establishiong CAP by LaGuardia is dated December 4th. It's posted on Facebook.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Luis R. Ramos

Then reprint all CAP pamphlets that list 1 Dec 1941 as the date...

Start with CAPP 50-4v2 p. 5, the student manual for Level 1.

This is a hectic job. Other regulations also refer to CAP's establishment as 1 Dec 1941.

From CAP Officers Basic Course, Legal Basis:

QuoteLocated in Washington D.C., the recently established Office of Civil Defense, headed by
Director Fiorello La Guardia received notice of the Civil Air Patrol concept. By the signing of
Administrative Order No. 9 on December 1, 1941 by Director La Guardia, the Civil Air Patrol
became a reality and was to be lead by Brig Gen John F. Curry, USAAC.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

TexasCadet

Happy anniversary (or is it birthday?)! I can't wait for the 100th one. Only 28 more years!

NIN

w00t!

I joined CAP about 8 months before the 40th Anniversary.

Never thought I'd be here to see the 72nd.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Stonewall

I've been a member for more than 1/3 of CAP's existence.  Very surprised there was no mention of it in CAP's site, and no anniversary message from the CC.  Unless I missed it.
Serving since 1987.

James Shaw

Quote from: Stonewall on December 01, 2013, 04:30:33 PM
I've been a member for more than 1/3 of CAP's existence.  Very surprised there was no mention of it in CAP's site, and no anniversary message from the CC.  Unless I missed it.

I am sure they thought about it. General Carr is pretty good about this type of stuff. It will more than likely be up tomorrow after the folks at NHQ return.
Jim Shaw

Stonewall

Quote from: capsafety on December 01, 2013, 05:26:12 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on December 01, 2013, 04:30:33 PM

I am sure they thought about it. General Carr is pretty good about this type of stuff. It will more than likely be up tomorrow after the folks at NHQ return.

Really?  So nothing was put out?  I figured I likely missed it.  What good will sending something out after the fact do?  If the anniversary fell on a holiday or weekend I would expect something be drafted ahead of time and released before or on the actual date.  I don't consider the 72nd anniversary something to celebrate with a parade, but all military branches as well as a lot of organizations and companies like to recognize their anniversary by a simple memo to its members or at the very least a small spot on the organizational website.
Serving since 1987.

James Shaw

Interesting side note for my fellow CAP Historical Folks. Please take a look at page number 3 of the attached PDF.
Jim Shaw

Eclipse

CAP can't make up its own mind when it was actually created and then back-dates the paperwork.

The stage was set from day one (whenever that was).

"That Others May Zoom"

MisterCD

The Civil Air Patrol's national office began as a division of the Office of Civilian Defense (OCD) on 1 December 1941, but Fiorello LaGuardia, national OCD director, did not formally announce the creation of the CAP organization until the ninth (with the administrative order establishing the organization signed the previous day). Granted, the argument can be made that the CAP dates back to 7 November 1941 (see attached files) or even October, or September. For the federal government, the file Jim Shaw posted references Executive Order no. 8757, which established the Office of Civilian Defense on 20 May 1941 ( http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=16117 ) when CAP existed as little more than rudimentary ideas. For the purposes of federal policy, however, this is a less nebulous date to establish boundaries of recognition.

Our observed birthday is 1 December 1941. As with many organizations, the selection of a set date is rarely perfect or without argument. The organization predates American entry into the war, and this above all else is without argument.

SarDragon

The first CAP birthday I celebrated was number 23.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

James Shaw

The information I posted is intended as another historical document for members to view. It is not intended to try and challenge the date that CAP recognizes at its Charter Date. The vast majority of the historical documents I have seen all support our celebrated date. Just thought it was interesting to see and share.
Jim Shaw

Private Investigator

One year when I was a Group Commander we had a birthday cake. The oldest Senior Member and the youngest Cadet present got the first two pieces.

BTW, my Wing Commander sent a birthday greeting to our Wing. I am not sure about the others.   8)

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: MisterCD on December 01, 2013, 07:11:49 PM

Our observed birthday is 1 December 1941. As with many organizations, the selection of a set date is rarely perfect or without argument.

USMC holds November 10 as sacred. But there were probably half a dozen guys who went to bed early on November 9, 1775, knowing that they'd be signing up new Marines the next day and who considered themselves as "the first." But that means nothing - November 10 is the official date and that's that.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Garibaldi

I joined 8 JAN 1981. BG Boyd was the National Commander. My CAPSN was 796294. I had just turned 13.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

TexasCadet

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 02, 2013, 06:20:39 PM
I joined 8 JAN 1981. BG Boyd was the National Commander. My CAPSN was 796294. I had just turned 13.

I feel like a newbie. I joined on 4 Jan 2012.

NIN

I was just after you, May 1981. 798207 :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: TexasCadet on December 02, 2013, 06:39:00 PM

I feel like a newbie. I joined on 4 Jan 2012.

You are a newbie. ;)