Salute Me or Divorce Me

Started by sardak, September 01, 2013, 07:05:58 AM

sardak

I have purposely left full names out of this, despite them being in the public domain.

Waukesha [Wisconsin] Daily Freeman, 7/2/1947 (newspaper)

'Major' Sought Salutes; Wife Seeking Divorce
MILWAUKEE, (UP)—Mrs. Rosalyn W sought a divorce today, charging that her husband, Clifford, demanded that she "salute him." Her suit charged that W, a business executive and a major in the Civil Air patrol, told her to address him "by his military title at all times."
From TIME
Miscellany, Jul. 21, 1947

Aftermath. In Milwaukee, Rosalyn W asked for a divorce from husband Clifford; he insisted that she salute and address him by his title of major (in the Civil Air Patrol).

The settlement of this divorce went all the way to the Wisconsin Supreme Court. She appealed part of the original judgement, but it was upheld.

Mke

Private Investigator

... was she an active duty airman? That might be the start of the "urban legend" we all know ...   ;)

NIN

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 01, 2013, 03:36:49 PM
... was she an active duty airman? That might be the start of the "urban legend" we all know ...   ;)

She later married RM.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NIN on September 01, 2013, 03:37:45 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on September 01, 2013, 03:36:49 PM

She later married RM.

R.W. to R.M. complete 180!

Storm Chaser

I asked my kids to call me Major Dad when I got promoted.

Unfortunately for me, my wife also gets promoted to a "higher rank" every time I get promoted, or so she says.  ;D

NIN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 01, 2013, 04:13:19 PM

Unfortunately for me, my wife also gets promoted to a "higher rank" every time I get promoted, or so she says.  ;D

I made Captain in 1993. My (now ex-) wife used to say, "Oh, Captain my Captain" in a mocking way all the time.

She got a dirty look every time, too.  Or I'd pause, giving her the time to say it, and then continue on as if nothing was said.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

sub1284

Sounds like a typical mililtary wanna be. I hope there isnt many of these nut jobs in CAP.

NIN

Quote from: sub1284 on September 01, 2013, 06:04:00 PM
Sounds like a typical mililtary wanna be. I hope there isnt many of these nut jobs in CAP.

Considering that this news article was from 1947, you can just extrapolate the numbers over the last 66 years...

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

My guess is there's way more to the story and the press picked up on the one item that sounded juicy.

This is likely a very contentious divorce involving a lot of money, the settlement went to the state supreme court, not exactly
your typical divorce.

At home?  Silly.

In the context of a large activity, especially one involving cadets?  Not so silly.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: NIN on September 01, 2013, 04:21:02 PM

I made Captain in 1993. My (now ex-) wife used to say, "Oh, Captain my Captain" in a mocking way all the time.

She got a dirty look every time, too.  Or I'd pause, giving her the time to say it, and then continue on as if nothing was said.

I had an ex-wife who did not like CAP either. In a choice of the two, I pick CAP. Some people do not get it.

ol'fido

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 02, 2013, 11:20:18 PM
Quote from: NIN on September 01, 2013, 04:21:02 PM

I had an ex-wife who did not like CAP either. In a choice of the two, I pick CAP. Some people do not get it.
Probably cheaper that way too. ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Critical AOA

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Private Investigator

My wife looks forward to Wing Conference as much as I do. If she says, "the Colonel's wife needs to new shoes." Well, she gets new shoes   ;)

NIN

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 05, 2013, 07:23:55 AM
My wife looks forward to Wing Conference as much as I do. If she says, "the Colonel's wife needs to new shoes." Well, she gets new shoes   ;)

Oh. This is key info. Could have used it 10-15 years ago.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: NIN on September 05, 2013, 10:35:04 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on September 05, 2013, 07:23:55 AM

Oh. This is key info. Could have used it 10-15 years ago.

Roger that Colonel. This year she is getting matching shoes and purse, I am getting a collector's grade 1911A1.   8)