Oldest A/C in CAP

Started by Maverick925, July 26, 2013, 02:16:37 AM

vento

And that airplane is only is only 38 years old. Much younger than most airplanes in my local FBO...  >:D

a2capt

Around here? Where? Cinema Air is long gone ;-)

SilverEagle2

Quote from: NIN on August 26, 2013, 12:30:08 AM
Quote from: vento on August 25, 2013, 04:45:30 PM
May I ask what Wing are you on?   :angel:

Mustang is definitely on the left wing.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Now that sir was fuuuuuunny! And oh sooo true!

N4728K is a great flying bird. Also doubles as a superb glider tow plane.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

flyboy53

I logged two sorties (four hours) as an observer in 42 Golf back in 1979 when I was with the Alaskan Wing. What an airplane. Those two sorties were flown two pilots up front and four observers in back and that aircraft could be flown from any type of airfield -- pavement, grass or gravel.

Anyone know what ever happened to the California Wing squadron that had the fleet of AT-6 Texans. I read about them as a cadet in an issue of Air Progress magazine and was always amazed.

bosshawk

Don't know about a CAWG Sq that had AT-6s, but can vouch that no such animal has existed since 1993, when I joined CAWG.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

AdAstra

Members of San Fernando Senior Squadron 35 bought war surplus T-6s in the late 1950s or so. Photos of their flight line show 10-12 aircraft. The birds were all painted "rescue" yellow, and included military-style markings, nose art, etc. An article in the April 1967 issue of "The Golden Wing" (the wing's magazine at the time) proudly announced that "RESCUE" had been painted on the bottom of the wings of all "B" Flight's T-6s for easier identification of their mission.

The squadron moved to nearby Whiteman Airpark when San Fernando Airport was closed --- in order to plant more houses in the booming SFV. At some point (I still can't determine exactly when) the T-6s went to Condor Senior Squadron 135 based at Van Nuys Airport. I flew two sorties as observer, including one with Captain Cliff Shirpser over snow-covered Mount San Gorgonio, at 11,503' the highest peak in Southern California.

Around 2008-9, California Wing deactivated the CAP squadron, but it continues today as "The Condor Squadron", "attacking" the USS Lane Victory on its day cruises out of San Pedro Harbor, and performing memorial fly-overs for events throughout Southern California. Long gone are the rescue markings, and today the planes sport a variety of military markings including WWII-era Luftwaffe.
Charles Wiest

a2capt

2009? I can't find charter # 135 in any CAPWATCH data that I have stashed.

Though they are listes as of April 2001, but in December it's gone.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010413014514/http://cawg.cap.gov/html/Cunits/cunit1.htm

AdAstra

You are absolutely right, a2capt! Squadron 135 was gone by 2002. For some reason, I associated the deactivation with Col Parris' tenure as wing commander, when really it was Col Myrick's first term. Interesting to note that seven of the 17 squadrons listed are now gone....

And "they" are right: nothing ever disappears from the Internet. Interesting to note that seven of the 17 squadrons listed on the locator are now gone....
Charles Wiest

PHall

Quote from: AdAstra on August 29, 2013, 08:20:10 PM
You are absolutely right, a2capt! Squadron 135 was gone by 2002. For some reason, I associated the deactivation with Col Parris' tenure as wing commander, when really it was Col Myrick's first term. Interesting to note that seven of the 17 squadrons listed are now gone....

And "they" are right: nothing ever disappears from the Internet. Interesting to note that seven of the 17 squadrons listed on the locator are now gone....

At one time there were SEVEN squadrons on or within 1 mile of Van Nuys Airport. Col Myrick closed and or consoladated a number of those units.
Some, like the Condor Squadron, were private flying clubs that pretended to be CAP units so they could fly on the Air Force's dime.

sardak

QuoteMembers of San Fernando Senior Squadron 35 bought war surplus T-6s in the late 1950s or so. Photos of their flight line show 10-12 aircraft. The birds were all painted "rescue" yellow, and included military-style markings, nose art, etc. An article in the April 1967 issue of "The Golden Wing" (the wing's magazine at the time) proudly announced that "RESCUE" had been painted on the bottom of the wings of all "B" Flight's T-6s for easier identification of their mission.

Mike

SKYKING607

Kinda looks like ol' Cliff Shirpsher's (sp?) plane.
CAWG Career Captain

sardak

^^It is Cliff's, from a long time ago, in a galaxy...

Mike

PHall

I've got a few hours in the back seat of that bird.   Never, ever tell Cliff to hold it steady for a minute so you can take a drink of water.
That and make darn sure your shoulder harness is tight!