Online Squadron Histories?

Started by MacGruff, June 09, 2013, 10:41:35 PM

MacGruff

As I am digging into my new responsibilities, it occurred to me that it would help me if I could look over some existing Squadron Annual histories that people consider to be good to have a template or a model of what should be inside them.

One of the members here was very helpful and pointed me to a Wing level annual history that's available online. Can anyone point me to squadron level annual histories?

Thanks,

AdAstra

Welcome aboard!

Here's a collection of 49 unit histories http://www.scribd.com/collections/3380827/CAWG-Unit-Histories from various squadrons in California Wing. There is no prescribed format for unit histories. As you will quickly see, they come in a wide range of formats and lengths. The objective is to get it down on paper (or electronic file).
Charles Wiest

RiverAux

I believe there actually is a very highly structured format for annual unit histories.  Forget what the CAPP number is. 

It really needs to be scaled down to a "basic" format that most units are going to be able to put together.  The official format is going to be beyond most folks.  Providing the required supporting documentation is a little much in some situations. 

MisterCD

CAPP 5 is the document you are referring to, and it has not been updated since 1990.  An update is sorely needed, but templates for the histories can (and will) accompany any revision to make submission a little less daunting.  As Lt Col Wiest has graciously shared, the squadron histories vary in depth and breadth but the fundamental virtue that they were submitted ensures that the volunteer contributions will be known to researchers years later.

Supporting documentation may seem to be "a little much," but its presence reaffirms the veracity of information in the synthesized history.  Far too often we are left with the secondary history, be it an article or submitted report, with no idea where the the "facts" and figures originate from.  Perhaps they are falsified? The documentation provides support and an opportunity to also reexamine the conclusions of the historian in the submitted report, among other virtues.

MacGruff

I got CAPP-5 and read it. It gives the template and determines what information needs to be included, but I think that some samples and examples would help me as well. As I mentioned in my opening post, I have been given a Wing level history which followed the same format and was very useful, but it's scope was obviously broader, and I am looking for something more similar to what I need to produce.

Thanks for the help!

Private Investigator

AdAstra had a great link for Squadron Histories. They vary from a one page document on a Squadron letterhead to a 30 page booklet based on the Wing History template.

I always did my Squadron History based on the Wing model. The first year it looked rather thin. But by my third year it was a very professional appearing product. Practice makes perfect. BTW, did your Squadron do a Squadron History before you were assigned the job? Most likely not. Does the other Squadrons in your state do a Annual Squadon History? Being generous I bet 75% do not.

Once you get the Annual Squadron History thing worked out. Then you can do more. Like a listing of all Squadron Commanders. If your Squadron has been around for a long time and no one had done one it might be impossible to fill all the gaps.