Main Menu

Historian program

Started by BillB, August 15, 2012, 12:33:22 PM

BillB

As a holder of a Masters Degree in History, I think I'm qualified to speak on this subject. CAP has a multitude of Historians at the Squadron, Group, Wing and National level Plus the CAP Histroical Foundation. And there is no coordination among them. How many Squadron Historians have submitted a unit history to Wing? How many Squadron PAO's have provided photos and copies of news releases to the Historian? Does the Historian at Squadron X have any idea what material may be stored in boxes at the Wing level on his/her units history?
To often a member is assigned as Historian just to fill the slot on the manning table, and has no idea what to do. So they do nothing. On the reverse side of the coin, there are several people in and out of CAP that are making a serious effort to document the history of CAP. And their efforts are not acknowledged or it seems in one case frowned on by the powers that be.
What is needed is a revision of the Regulation and a review of the Historian Professional Development program. Most important is leadership from the National level. Provide guidance from every level to the next lower level, and that is missing in the CAP Historical Program.
I've started five Squadrons in my 50 years in CAP, two of those units no longer exist. And I have never heard from a historian in the other three units asking about their early history. The average Historian has never done an Oral History Project with former members from the 1940's and up. Or how to do an Oral History interview.
Changes need to be made in the CAP Historical program(s) to provide leadership at all levels.   <end of rant>
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

Part of the problem is that the official format for a unit history is probably beyond the capabilities of most of those that are likely to fill squadron historian billets.  Anyone who has ever looked at one is likely to go, "whoa, thats too much".  What is needed is a fairly simple fill-in-the-blank form that could be done by just about anyone that would at least capture the highlights of that year.  Sure, it wouldn't be as good as using the current format, but I bet it would actually get used.  Some annual history is better than no annual history. 

Sad to say, the same is probably needed at the wing level.  Trying to get the information needed to do the current annual history from all the staff officers is just about impossible. 

And speaking of leadership, where are the annual historical reports (using the official format) that should be being produced by our national historians? 

James Shaw

I appreciate the post and would like to address some of the thoughts and concerns put forth.

I personally do not have a Master's degree in History, but I can only speak for myself on this. I do have 4 undergraduate degrees in different subjects and currently working on a Master's in Occupational Safety & Health. Not shabby for a "Hobby Historian". Some of the other Historians come from the Engineering Field and several with advanced degrees and education. I state this because the level of research experience needed to complete these college degrees is not easy.

I do not feel that you have to have an advanced education or any college in order to make a good dedicated volunteer member. Please note that I say Dedicated Volunteer Member, I don't think this is what you are saying in your post but this is a big part of how CAP operates. If we were to try and get members that have the academics to support the various jobs in CAP then we there would be fewer amongst our ranks. How many of our Professional Development Officer's have degrees in Human Resource Management, or Emergency Service Officer's that are FEMA professionals. As a volunteer organization we have to work with the people that "choose" to volunteer with us, from all kinds of backgrounds. Many of whom come to CAP to get away from their Professional Career's and invest in an interest. I personally have Bachelor's in HR and OSH and am not involved to any great extent in any of them with CAP.

As with any other program in CAP there are things that work and others that don't. I think we would be hard pressed to find ANY CAP program that is 100% in any direction. This is where part of the frustration mentioned may come into play. Most of the Historical Staff are purely support positions and do not have anyone they are "in charge" of such as a direct report. There are a few exceptions to this but not many. The Squadron, Wing, Region, all fall under their respective COC's. We as Historian's can make suggestions and requests as much as we want but we do not have authority over these individuals. I know that the National Historian sends out these requests every year and does get responses.

There are interactions between the various Historical folks more than you see on paper. We have constant conversations about projects and such that we are working on. These are not seen a lot because they involve requests from other National Staff or CAPNHQ. I can tell you that our band of Historical Enthusiasts are very busy and active during the entire year. We stretch our skills from within the Historical field to others where we may also be needed or wanted.

The CAP National Historical Staff and the CAP Historical Foundation have separate bodies that govern them. CAP Historical Staff and the CAPHF have two different but important missions. CAP National Staff is concerned with the preservation and sharing of the information about CAP and its members and the CAPHF is more along the lines of promoting CAP History and trying to bring it to others attention that may not be a member of the organization. These are simplified descriptions but the gist is accurate.

I can only speak for myself but I have spent MANY long hours on a lot of CAP related history in the previous year, most of it the general members may not see, some they will when it is cleared by CAPNHQ and CAP National Staff. We also continue to hold classes and breakout sessions about CAP history and suggested programs and guides to help any member or historian. These have been great, what the member chooses to do with this is in their control. I personally have spent 27 hours alone in the last 2 weeks on a project that is not historically related but benefits ALL of our members, there again other members are doing the same types of things. 

The Historical Pamphlet that is referred to has been updated and was released about 6 weeks ago. This can be downloaded for anyone to see if they go to the appropriate page on the CAP members website. We have done a 100% audit on the CAP Collection and every piece and document was accounted for, the folks at NHQ do not maintain the records. The National Collection and records are in secured storage. We have thousands of pages of history and a small staff to try and scan, save, copy or compile this information.

Most members are only aware of a few actual Historical Staff with direct CAP positions, many others work with us and hold other positions within CAP that also take up their time. All of these folks are outstanding members in their own right. You can find out what they are doing if you look for the National Staff report that is done by Col Blascovich yearly at the NB. It may very well change the perception of our historical staff and their efforts. If  you look on their you will see some familiar names and some not so familiar names, we even have those that do the work that choose to stay behind the scenes.

Just a few of the National Staff and SOME of the work they have done:

(National Historian) Col Blascovich, worked with the USS Intrepid Curator and museum director to install and setup a display on the ship. Project went so well they have requested more from CAP. Has researched and supplied info for the history of CAP Governance and the various programs associated with running CAP to NHQ and National Staff.

Research Archivist in the NER has been working on displays and history for the New England Air Museum.

Research and Archivist in the MER has been working on compiling ALL Unit Commendations and Squadrons of merit for as long as they have been recorded. Continues the database build.

Research and Archivist in the MER has been working on an indepth study into the Wing History with recently discovered records and original documents.
(Assistant National Historian) Lt Col Todd Engelman has been working on tracking ALL National Appointments and changes of Command. Including older records before they were put on computer. He has also created an collectors catalog that is over 300 pages long with color pictures similar to the Lousie Morse catalogs.
(Myself) Have scanned, cataloged, and put into publishable format for research most of the older catalogs and monographs. I am looking for the last three catalogs to do and we will have a single source for these older items that can be used.

I have also spent several hundred hours of recording and editing the Learn To Lead audio books for CAPNHQ. These have been received and downloaded several thousand times (appr 3000) by our Cadet and Senior Members alike in the past year. We also have more that will be put on the website itself for use. It has opened the possibility and opportunity for members who otherwise would not have been able to participate. If this had been paid for by CAP then the project just for the first 4 Chapters would have been $80,000. This has been done for free for CAP by a Historian.

I do not have a rant or soap box to stop I just feel that information needs to be out there that shows that our Historical folks are doing more than what you may see.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

MisterCD

Presumably you all do know what the wing and squadron level historians are doing, yes? I see some recognition of what people are doing in NER and MER, but what about NCR, GLR, PCR, RMR, SER, or SWR? Last time I checked, they are also contributing and working, but tend not to have the national historical group give them any recognition. 

Perhaps recognizing and acknowledging the national effort overall instead of just harping upon yourself would provide a more comprehensive answer in response to inquiries here on CAPTalk asking about what the CAP historical program is doing.

James Shaw

Quote from: MisterCD on August 15, 2012, 04:04:28 PM
Presumably you all do know what the wing and squadron level historians are doing, yes? I see some recognition of what people are doing in NER and MER, but what about NCR, GLR, PCR, RMR, SER, or SWR? Last time I checked, they are also contributing and working, but tend not to have the national historical group give them any recognition. 

There are alot of efforts all around CAP and I only mentioned a few not all.

The Wings have to submit the individual historians in their respective wings for any sort of recognition or award. We send out these requests every year just like any other program would such as PAO or CP. This is the same for Historian of the Year, they have to go through the Wing and Region first. This is no different than any other program.

Quote from: MisterCD on August 15, 2012, 04:04:28 PM
Perhaps recognizing and acknowledging the national effort overall instead of just harping upon yourself would provide a more comprehensive answer in response to inquiries here on CAPTalk asking about what the CAP historical program is doing.

If you look at the description you will see just that. I mention several times about others efforts and not mine alone. It is a team effort. I can only speak of my specific efforts and not the specifics of others.

Jim Shaw

RiverAux

Quote from: caphistorian on August 15, 2012, 03:11:17 PM
The Historical Pamphlet that is referred to has been updated and was released about 6 weeks ago.
Actually, I was referring to was CAPP5 not the Historian Specialty track handbook.  The updated specialty track is an improvement.

QuoteThere are interactions between the various Historical folks more than you see on paper.
Based on what I hear from our Wing Historian he hasn't heard from either the regional or national historian in over a year (actually has never heard from the region historian).  In fact, he was very surprised to learn of the updated specialty track pamphlet because no one had told him about it. 

AdAstra

Jim:

Both BillB and RiverAux's questions dealt with the unit historian and unit histories, and you did not address that. CAPP 5 (22 years old!) deals with the annual wing history. The new CAPR 210-1 also only addresses national, region and wing histories. To echo BillB, there is no guidance for unit-level historians.

It is indeed daunting for an unit-level historian (and even wing historian!), and I admit to slamming the book several times and giving up before I ever put pen to paper. In fact, an annual unit history is not required. According to  CAPR 210-1, para 6b: [Wings should] Encourage the preparation of periodic histories at the group and squadron level.

Should we write unit histories? Of course! To be practical, all the unit historian needs to include are a short narrative of significant events, personnel authorizations, milestone awards, calendar of activities, newsletters, newspaper articles, and a few photos of members or events. When I was Wing Historian, one unit simply stapled and submitted their bi-monthly newsletters. One unit sent a one-sentence letter: we didn't do anything last year (by the time I read it, it was too late to send a note to the Wing Commander suggesting that he de-activate that unit).

Since unit and group historians (and I suspect, many wing historians) are not writing and submitting annual histories, then the National Historical Staff does not know what we're doing out here in the field. In addition to the annual histories, I keep finding very interesting innovations started by local members out beyond the pale.

Each year, I do look for the National Historian's Report. Several accomplishments and projects have been reported over several years. I thank all of the National Historical Staff for their time and efforts. But I have questions:
     > When will we see the inventory of the CAP Collection?
     > When will we see the collection of old catalogs and monographs you mentioned? (I have a complete set, so please let me know what you are missing and I will scan them for you)
     > 2-3 years ago, a history CD (artwork? documents?) was supposedly sent to each wing historian. How can we can a copy?
     > When will the annual CAP Histories be made available?
     > When will Bill Schell's insignia catalog be made available?
     > When will Bill Schell's insignia display be brought out of storage and displayed again?

Suggestions:
    > Create a CAP pamphlet "Guide for Unit Historians"
    > Make widely available the notes and slides from the history workshops at the Annual Conference
    > Scan and share copies of the old "Hysterical Newsletter"
    > Scan and share copies of the sundry short historical articles written by Col Blascovich. I've found quite a few (history of IACE, drill comp, emblems, etc.), but they are undated and un-numbered, so I have no idea how may there are.

There are more suggestions, but I offer that there a number of us willing to assist on one or more of these projects.
Charles Wiest

James Shaw

Quote from: AdAstra on August 15, 2012, 06:04:37 PM
Jim:

Both BillB and RiverAux's questions dealt with the unit historian and unit histories, and you did not address that. CAPP 5 (22 years old!) deals with the annual wing history. The new CAPR 210-1 also only addresses national, region and wing histories. To echo BillB, there is no guidance for unit-level historians.

It is indeed daunting for an unit-level historian (and even wing historian!), and I admit to slamming the book several times and giving up before I ever put pen to paper. In fact, an annual unit history is not required. According to  CAPR 210-1, para 6b: [Wings should] Encourage the preparation of periodic histories at the group and squadron level.

Thanks for the response and I will address as many as I can within my lunch time.

I have presented a historical guide for suggestions at many of the conferences I have been to. This is not an official publication just some suggestions for Units as well as higher levels. I would be more than happy to send or attach for anyone to use. I have done this for several years in a row. I do actively encourage every historian to do unit level research and go from there. 

Quote from: AdAstra on August 15, 2012, 06:04:37 PM
     > When will we see the inventory of the CAP Collection?
     > When will we see the collection of old catalogs and monographs you mentioned? (I have a complete set, so please let me know what you are missing and I will scan them for you)
     > 2-3 years ago, a history CD (artwork? documents?) was supposedly sent to each wing historian. How can we can a copy?
     > When will the annual CAP Histories be made available?
     > When will Bill Schell's insignia catalog be made available?
     > When will Bill Schell's insignia display be brought out of storage and displayed again?

Suggestions:
    > Create a CAP pamphlet "Guide for Unit Historians"
    > Make widely available the notes and slides from the history workshops at the Annual Conference
    > Scan and share copies of the old "Hysterical Newsletter"
    > Scan and share copies of the sundry short historical articles written by Col Blascovich. I've found quite a few (history of IACE, drill comp, emblems, etc.), but they are undated and un-numbered, so I have no idea how may there are.

There are more suggestions, but I offer that there a number of us willing to assist on one or more of these projects.

1) We will have part of the collection for viewing at the NB, we cant bring the entire collection but it will be a good sampling of the items.

2) I need three more of the hard copies to complete the collection. The copies I have are more than likley 30th generation and look terrible to scan. I requested that any member that had a copy to send to me on CAPTalk many months ago. I did not receive any responses or offers.

•Cat. No. 416A CIVIL AIR PATROL UNIT PATCHES -VOLUME I
•Cat. No. 416B CIVIL AIR PATROL UNIT PATCHES - VOLUME II
•Cat. No. 416C CIVIL AIR PATROL UNIT PATCHES - VOLUME III

3) The CD's were given to the respective Wing Commanders at the NB along with a CD with the PDF of the Flying Minute Men. They were also handed out to those folks that showed up for the Historians Sessions at several conferences.

4) Are you talking about the Annual Reports to Congress for the Annual Reports?

5) The catalog I speak of is being written by Lt Col Todd Engelman, he is not done with it. The last count was at 300 pages I believe.

6) Again we are going to have some of the colleciton at the NB.

7) We don't have a Guide for Unit Historians but perhaps I can modify mine for that purpose or as you stated get input from other historians. I have no quams with that.

8) I will share what I have from the conference with no problems.

9) This is current project I am working on after Col Blascovich sent me the entire collection of them. I could take the easy road and do high pass on the copier in B/W but I want to do color on the ones that have color and it takes longer to do that.

10) Good idea, Col Blascovich is working on the very thing now.

I have attached a few of the tools that I offered at the conferences for those that attended.
Jim Shaw

BillB

Jim Shaw addressed most of the points I originally made. But what I see is a total roadblock of information up AND down the chain of command for Historians. How many knew of the efforts of the National staff in the Catalog Todd Engelman is working on or the list of unit citations. (Florida Wing has no idea how many clasps on the ribbon since they are not sure of both their and Regions Commendations)
Perhaps a column in THE VOLUNTEER in each issue of what National Staff is working on, or updates from Wings would open the lines of communictions. I saw a post by Jim Shaw several months ago asking if people had copies of some materials. And according to his recent post, nobody offered to send copies.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

Agree about the total lack of communication from the national historical staff.  Way more stuff has been discussed here than has made it through official channels.

GroundHawg

I have a BA in History. I submitted a monthly report to my wing historian for 14 months. I never recieved any type of feedback or even an acknowledgement of receipt. So I quit. I still write it up, and print it out, and put it in my file.

I also have some CAP Patches Ive collected and earned since 1990 that I have not seen anywhere else. I tried to submit these pics and go nowhere fast.

As far as NHQ Historian staff, I will state that Im not pleased with at least one of you over the whole squadron patch approval drama that Ive dealt with recently. I know that some of NHQ types read this, and what ever new procedures you have to approve patches, you need to put it in writing, as in a ICL or reg of some type.

RiverAux

NHQ has nothing to do with squadron patch approval. 

BillB

Squadron patches are appoved by the Wing Commander, Not region or National
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on August 15, 2012, 11:01:34 PM
Squadron patches are appoved by the Wing Commander, Not region or National

+1 There's been a lot of people who misinterpret the requirement to send a patch to NHQ as meaning there is any approval authority
in this regard.

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

I would like to see a guide on archival techniques, document/photo preservation, storage and media rotation, etc. I feel that too many of our unit historians have no real idea how to store their history materials properly. This need not be a full conservatory manual but more along the lines of a geneaologist's guide.

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AdAstra

There are quite few resources readily available from National Archives and Records Administration, Society of American Archivists, and others. A number are free or low cost (and a number are in the $100 plus range). There's really no reason for CAP to re-write this book.

I can PM you tomorrow, or post a list here if others are interested.

Remember, the job of the unit historian is very, very short-term and they really shouldn't be too concerned about long-term archival storage. The first and most important challenge for the unit historian is to make sure this year's records aren't summarily condemned to the dustbin!
Charles Wiest

MisterCD

It is worthwhile to also talk with a state archive (if a wing historian at least) to arrange for the donation of records and photographs to them. This ensures their long-term preservation and security, and (if space is a factor), they free up room at headquarters.  Should anyone need to look at the records again, people will know exactly where to find what.  This keeps the records in state, secure, and accessible to CAP and the general public who might want to research CAP and publish about them. 

This nonsense about "we're the best kept secret" is largely self-inflicted, but it doesn't have continue in perpetuity. Publish and make sure archives and libraries have copies, and the CAP story will reach a larger audience, if not now then down the road.

GroundHawg

Quote from: RiverAux on August 15, 2012, 10:16:57 PM
NHQ has nothing to do with squadron patch approval.

Yeah, not according to NHQ.

The following is from an email about this situation from a member of NHQ Staff.

"At the winter 2012 National Board we established the office of CAP heraldry, this will appear in upcoming regulations that the office of heraldry will review all patches and submit their recommendations to the approving authority.

We are trying to reestablish like the Air Force and like CAP prior to 2002 that National Headquarters has input and possibly the final approval on all unit patches. As discussed at the National Board what we wear on BDU uniforms reflects and must fit the same profile as worn by CAP – Air Force blue uniform. "

BillB

As one of the former National Historian Staff told me, we are dealing with volunteers. I agree and in the majority of cases a Historian that has no knolwedge of archives or document storage and cataloging. There currently is little to guide a new Historian in Oral History interviewing, methods of  researching early Squadron history, in other words an effective history program. There is one regulation CAPR 210-1, plus CAPP 5 and CAPP 223 to provide guidance to a historian who chances are has no kowledge of a historical program. Chances are he/she doesn't even know when their Squadron was organized if it has been in existance for over 25 years. The records don't exist. As a volunteer with job and family they don't have the time to learn what amounts to an Associate Degree in History to develop a Squadron history program.
There needs to be more guidance from Wing and National levels and annual one day or weekend Wing level conferences for Historians outside of Wing general Conferences. Mostly there needs to be better communications up and down the COC, keeping in mind a Squadron Historian is in a support position and can go directly to Wing, Region or even National Historian staff. 
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

ol'fido

This is somewhat my situation. I knew my squadron dated from the 60's, but I had only anecdotal stories and information to support that until I got what a box of old scrapbook pages with photos attached, loose photos, and a few letters and documents. It had been passed down from a previous commander. Other stuff I had started collecting long ago for my own interest.

I have a BA in History myself but I have never worked in the field professionally. I like to feel that I have a better appreciation for what is historically significant. Plus, I tend to save things anyway as I am a bit of a pack rat. But, I have literally cringed at hearing what some people(who should know better) have thrown away because it was "old records and junk" or "the regs say to destroy it after 5 years".

I would like to see more guidance to the historians on what is important to keep, what SHOULD be destroyed, and how to store it. Moreover, what to do with it if they leave, are reassigned, or the unit folds.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006