Scandal in CAP historical program?

Started by RiverAux, August 05, 2012, 04:11:16 PM

RiverAux

The Dayton (OH) Daily News has a large article about alleged theft of historical items by CAP historians. 

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/civil-air-patrol-wont-release-findings-of-probe-of/nP9fs/

Obviously, this doesn't look good no matter the details of the situation.  Curious how this got brought to the media's attention.

starshippe

well, cap talk makes the news.

the cap meeting mentioned was probably the georgia wing conference. our squadron was instrumental in bringing the conference to jekyll island, ga., in 2006. i remember a room full of historical items, the first time i had seen a cap historical display of that size at a wing conference, or anywhere else, for that matter. it was very interesting.

bill

Eclipse

I'd have to work really hard to care about this.

The National CC says "no issue" regarding a situation which is almost certainly a typical CAP misunderstanding.

Anything beyond that is just trying to sell ad clicks.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Roger that on another typical CAP misunderstanding.

LGM30GMCC

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on August 05, 2012, 04:11:16 PM
The Dayton (OH) Daily News has a large article about alleged theft of historical items by CAP historians. 

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/civil-air-patrol-wont-release-findings-of-probe-of/nP9fs/

Obviously, this doesn't look good no matter the details of the situation.  Curious how this got brought to the media's attention.

Because Skip at News-of-the-Force brought it to their attention.

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on August 05, 2012, 05:08:10 PM
I'd have to work really hard to care about this.

The National CC says "no issue" regarding a situation which is almost certainly a typical CAP misunderstanding.

Anything beyond that is just trying to sell ad clicks.
+1. Another media overhype over nothing. Seeing how they brought up funding, it looks like a bunch of mediatypes trying to stir controversy over our funding and our operations to fit into the hard economic times. I can imagine the next headline:
"IS CAP REALLY WORTH THE TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!"

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: PHall on August 05, 2012, 09:45:05 PM

I laugh (and cringe because it's a lie) every time I see that "nominated for a Pulitzer" thing on the NOTF website. There's no such category as Skip says he was nominated for, and if you're going to lie about that, where's your credibility elsewhere?

(Hey, they say that about the real media anytime something bad happens. Why can't they do it when some guy in his pajamas sitting in his basement puts something on the Internet?)

But I doubt anyone at the Dayton Daily reads NOTF. I'm willing to bet no one in Skip's hometown media (except me) even know his site exists... and I only look at it when someone in CAP tells me there's something negative there. Nothing to look at here....

Really, though, the foundation isn't under CAP governance. This is only tangentially a CAP story.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

PHall

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 06, 2012, 12:13:53 AM

I laugh (and cringe because it's a lie) every time I see that "nominated for a Pulitzer" thing on the NOTF website. There's no such category as Skip says he was nominated for, and if you're going to lie about that, where's your credibility elsewhere?

(Hey, they say that about the real media anytime something bad happens. Why can't they do it when some guy in his pajamas sitting in his basement puts something on the Internet?)

But I doubt anyone at the Dayton Daily reads NOTF. I'm willing to bet no one in Skip's hometown media (except me) even know his site exists... and I only look at it when someone in CAP tells me there's something negative there. Nothing to look at here....

Really, though, the foundation isn't under CAP governance. This is only tangentially a CAP story.

According to what Skip wrote on his site (NoTF), reporters from the Dayton Daily worked with him doing their "investigative reporting". ::)

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: PHall on August 06, 2012, 01:13:11 AM

According to what Skip wrote on his site (NoTF), reporters from the Dayton Daily worked with him doing their "investigative reporting". ::)

(laughing) Suuuure. And I'm William Randolph Hearst.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

flyboy53

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 06, 2012, 01:18:35 AM
Quote from: PHall on August 06, 2012, 01:13:11 AM

(laughing) Suuuure. And I'm William Randolph Hearst.

Yep, more trashing the organization, more salt in the wounds.

OK, so find out who got the stuff and go from there, and hopefully none of the stuff ended up on e-bay. 2b them if necessary.

I do wish, however, that a traveling display be created that could go from wing to wing for conferences. I think that would be pretty cool. Otherwise, speaking as a historian, I do find that the historical aspects of this organization, whether they are artifacts or records, really is lacking.

PHall

Quote from: flyboy1 on August 06, 2012, 01:26:35 AMI do wish, however, that a traveling display be created that could go from wing to wing for conferences. I think that would be pretty cool. Otherwise, speaking as a historian, I do find that the historical aspects of this organization, whether they are artifacts or records, really is lacking.

Do you have any idea how much it would cost to move that display around the country?
And people whine now about how much it costs to put on the various conferences...

RiverAux

Whether or not there is anything to this specific story, one of the reasons I favor donating any CAP materials collected by our historians (particularly at the national level) to a real museum and/or archive collection to be looked after by real curators and available for public use.  Whether this is in the military museum system or some other reputable institution isn't terribly important to me.  (Though some recent issues regarding CG Aux historical items that went to a relatively small state university collection give me some pause). 

BuckeyeDEJ

What if a CAP museum were stood up somewhere in the country? Like at National Headquarters? Would that be a good idea, do you think? Discuss.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 06, 2012, 03:53:49 AM
What if a CAP museum were stood up somewhere in the country? Like at National Headquarters? Would that be a good idea, do you think? Discuss.

We would need space. Someone paid to maintain/run it...

BuckeyeDEJ

Eclipse

We're much better off having our artifacts installed as parts of other museums' collections.

There isn't the money or interest in a permanent exhibit beyond the small installation they have at NHQ.  An installation
at the NASM or at Dayton would get 100x the traffic anything at Maxwell ever would.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

BuckeyeDEJ

How many of you know CAP has three airplanes (count 'em, three) at the National Museum of the United States Air Force -- yes, the granddaddy of 'em all, at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio?

How many of you know that one of them carried the call sign Air Force One?

All three are in the presidential hangar, alongside every presidential plane but Reagan's. Two of them are hoisted aloft, hanging above FDR's "Sacred Cow."

CAP's Hall of Honor was there, but I haven't seen it on my last two or three visits there (it was moved, as were the CAP planes).

Should the CAPHF work with the Air Force Museum to get some space for the Air Force's auxiliary? Questions for you to ponder.

jimmydeanno

I wonder what happens in someone's mind that makes them so obsessed with an organization that they were removed from.  At what point do you realize that you just should move on with your life? 

If an organization "let's you go" why not just move on?  I don't get it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on August 06, 2012, 03:53:49 AM

While nothing is ever really permanent in this world, I'd prefer that it be handled outside CAP by real professionals.  I don't think a CAP Museum would ever draw enough visitors to be self-supporting and the overhead would be too great. 

FLWG Historian

All the personal recrimination has not done us any good. More importantly why have the objects not been recovered?!
Since the honor of officers is the matter at hand, I need hardly remind this group of people, that accountability  is the first requisite for holding any position of "trust." :-[