Main Menu

C/FO

Started by abdsp51, June 23, 2012, 11:07:59 PM

cap235629

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 25, 2012, 05:00:22 AM
Huh. My cadet number, issued in 1984, was 000914475. Then, as I was gearing up to go to college, I had to get a Social Security number, so I converted my CAPSN to that number.

And then my CAPID came along -- starting with 113. It has nothing but 1s and 3s in it, which is funny, since my lucky number is 13.

My SSN has nothing to do with it, as it starts with 234. (Guess the state in which it was issued.)

West Virginia....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: cap235629 on December 25, 2012, 06:27:19 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 25, 2012, 05:00:22 AM
Huh. My cadet number, issued in 1984, was 000914475. Then, as I was gearing up to go to college, I had to get a Social Security number, so I converted my CAPSN to that number.

And then my CAPID came along -- starting with 113. It has nothing but 1s and 3s in it, which is funny, since my lucky number is 13.

My SSN has nothing to do with it, as it starts with 234. (Guess the state in which it was issued.)

West Virginia....

We have a winner. Native Ohioan, just happened to be in West Virginia at the time.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

N7MOG

Well, I must have missed out.  I was a cadet with a 656xxx CAPSN in 1968-1973.  I transitioned to SM when I joined the USMC, but don't remember when my original SN went away. Nat'l has no record "that far back".  I have my Mitchell certificate, but they weren't numbered.  Now I have 341xxx.
Bill Collister
SDWG DC
Cadet in 1968-1973 (Mitchell Award)
Collecter of knowledge since then, finding out my parents got real smart about the time I turned 18....
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome - Semper Fidelis

The original content of this post is Copyright (c) 2014 by William Collister.  The right to reproduce the content of this post within CAP-Talk only for the purposes of providing a quoted reply, by CAP-Talk users only, is specifically granted. All other rights, including "Fair Use," are specifically reserved.

SarDragon

Quote from: N7MOG on December 28, 2012, 05:56:11 PM
Well, I must have missed out.  I was a cadet with a 656xxx CAPSN in 1968-1973.  I transitioned to SM when I joined the USMC, but don't remember when my original SN went away. Nat'l has no record "that far back".  I have my Mitchell certificate, but they weren't numbered.  Now I have 341xxx.

You didn't miss out on anything. Back then, cadet CAPSNs were from a different set of numbers than the SMs. When you turned SM, you got a different CAPSN - your SSAN.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

saleet

I joined in May of 1960.  my Cadet SN was C-33-3439.

Jaison009

1999ish. I earned my Mitchell late 1998 and was a C/FO.

TexasCadet

I know I'm bumping this thread, but I have a question. What did a C/FO do? Obviously, C/NCOs were flight sergeants and the like, and C/officers did officer stuff, but I can't think of what a C/FO might have done.

MIKE

Functionally they were no different than a C/2d Lt.  The Leadership 2000 text might have hinted at the grade as an officer in training.  Also note that at the time the C/NCO grades ended at C/MSgt with the Doolittle and Goddard achievements.
Mike Johnston

SARDOC

ol'fido

Perhaps we should start the Order of the Gold Pip. Less exclusive than the Spaatz Association but more fun. Something like Mensa vs. the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SarDragon

Quote from: ol'fido on December 02, 2013, 12:58:36 AM
Perhaps we should start the Order of the Gold Pip. Less exclusive than the Spaatz Association but more fun. Something like Mensa vs. the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes.

I resemble that remark.  ;)

Quote from: SARDOC on December 02, 2013, 12:44:01 AM
106XXX

1069xx
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Jaison009

Typically the golden pip was when we became flight commanders. As Mike noted we did not have past C/MSgt. You typically were flight commander until C/1LT and then you started working on staff. I became XO as a C/1LT, Cadet Commander as C/Capt, rotated out to Dept. Cadet Commander as C/Maj-C/LTCol to allow other officers to gain experience as XO and CC, attend additional encampments as staff, focus on Eaker and Spaatz, and then I moved to a smaller squadron in MO that I helped found where I was Cadet Commander again.

Quote from: TexasCadet on December 01, 2013, 08:25:50 PM
I know I'm bumping this thread, but I have a question. What did a C/FO do? Obviously, C/NCOs were flight sergeants and the like, and C/officers did officer stuff, but I can't think of what a C/FO might have done.

ol'fido

Quote from: SarDragon on December 02, 2013, 01:04:26 AM
Quote from: ol'fido on December 02, 2013, 12:58:36 AM

I resemble that remark.  ;)

Quote from: SARDOC on December 02, 2013, 12:44:01 AM
106XXX

1069xx
For some reason, I picture that scene from the Great Santini where the Marines(Gold Pippers) bust into the Navy(Spaatz Assoc.) Dance and Santini uses the clam chowder to pretend to throw up.

The Great Santini - the soup incident
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

BuckeyeDEJ

Remember that the grade of cadet warrant officer/cadet flight officer was commensurate with the Gen. Billy Mitchell Award. Pretty much whatever goes with the Mitchell starts now with the grade of cadet second lieutenant. A cadet flight officer was still a cadet officer, just with a gold moonpie.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Grumpy

Quote from: a2capt on June 26, 2012, 11:41:57 PM
With me sitting at 331XXX, when I saw the 145's, I thought.. "wow, that's half.. " now, the newest to be added to our unit yesterday just cracked 5170XX. Pretty soon it will be double what I was.

How about C-9114951?

PHall

Quote from: Grumpy on November 24, 2014, 04:30:15 AM
Quote from: a2capt on June 26, 2012, 11:41:57 PM
With me sitting at 331XXX, when I saw the 145's, I thought.. "wow, that's half.. " now, the newest to be added to our unit yesterday just cracked 5170XX. Pretty soon it will be double what I was.

How about C-9114951?

Or 691508?

LATORRECA

Quote from: MIKE on December 01, 2013, 08:34:30 PM
Functionally they were no different than a C/2d Lt.  The Leadership 2000 text might have hinted at the grade as an officer in training.  Also note that at the time the C/NCO grades ended at C/MSgt with the Doolittle and Goddard achievements.

I was a c/FO back when when it was the transition of the program before leadership 2000. It was no difference, just when we got in trouble, It was more political. I wonder, if I still have any of my gold pins and my old IDs around my house in PR. I like to know my old members ID number.

Those were the days between 1993-97.

What was explained to me was that C/FO was a transitional rank from were you learn to be a officer and then you where full officer after couple of test. A lot of people got stock there due to the SDA's.

catrulz

This has probably been answered, but In 1999 the C/SMSGT and C/CMSGT grades were added.   At that time cadets had a choice to go directly to Mitchell from C/MSGT or they could opt to promote through the two extra grades.  We had two cadets in the same grade that took opposing courses.  They both ended up as Earhart C/Capt. 

I was a cadet back in 1977-79 and seemed like it was C/WO back then.  But that could be poor memory.

THRAWN

Always reminded me of the "probationary, supernumerary and temporary third lieutenant". You were kind of an officer, but still had the latitude to royally foul up.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023