Original Charter Document

Started by Spaceman3750, December 20, 2011, 06:09:01 PM

Spaceman3750

My squadron's original charter document turned up in some files earlier this year. I was pretty surprised to see it, and it made me wonder if this is unique or if most squadrons still have their original charter?

Does your squadron still have its original charter?

a2capt

As I mentioned in another thread, it too appeared during an excavation of the conex box. Funny thing, we had done that a few times in the past too and didn't find it.  But over the years duplicates had been asked for, so we have a few and a good representation of how they changed over the years.

Eclipse

No one could find the one from my Group, and the furtherest back my unit could go was 1972, even though it was one of the initial squadrons.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on December 20, 2011, 06:51:31 PM
No one could find the one from my Group, and the furtherest back my unit could go was 1972, even though it was one of the initial squadrons.

I would bet most groups don't have their original. After all, most group HQs are transient and therefore things are more likely to fall off the truck, fall behind the CC's couch, etc.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: a2capt on December 20, 2011, 06:51:28 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, it too appeared during an excavation of the conex box. Funny thing, we had done that a few times in the past too and didn't find it.  But over the years duplicates had been asked for, so we have a few and a good representation of how they changed over the years.

I'm having a hard time imagining any document surviving a conex box for very long in decent condition.

a2capt

It's framed, and looks perfect. There were a couple of them in there, and lots of photo albums. None of it was baked, surprisingly. Gonna be scanning it all at high resolution for archiving and web inclusion.

RiverAux

The oldest CAP units probably don't have any as charter documents started quite a while later.  My home squadron didn't have one, but you can get a replacement from NHQ if you can provide them with good documentation as to the charter date.

spacecommand

Unfortunately our Wing, Group or someone lost our original charter(s) long ago.  Our unit used to be separate (Seniors and Cadets throughout the late 40s, 50's and 60s), but in the 70s combined to form a Composite Squadron and a new composite squadron charter was issued (we have that charter hanging on the wall). 

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

jimmydeanno

I remember when the SUI guide had the question "does the unit have a copy of their charter?"  I always wondered why the SUI team would be at a unit that wasn't chartered.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

tarheel gumby

My Squadron has the original Charter Certificate Hanging on the wall in our Office. But many squadrons are older than the charter certificates show. They won't nessarly have the date that the squadron was formed. My Squadron was formed in Feb 1945, Nat HQ did not start chartering units until around 1956, and my squadron was chartered May 27,1957.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001