Cool Backdrop from Bing

Started by James Shaw, December 17, 2011, 11:50:35 AM

flyboy53

I'll wait until the good colonel does his research, but for now I think all of you are reaching. If it was used by the CAP in WW II, it would have been owned by a CAP member. For example, the one on display at the Air Force Museum was owned by CAP 1Lt. M.M. Wilder, who was awarded the Air Medal for his service at Coastal Patrol Base 2.

If this was truly an Army aircraft at one time, it's actually a C-61. The Army didn't purchase Fairchild 24s for CAP use in WW II. In 1941, the Army Air Force placed an initial order for 163 Fairchild C-61s, however via Lend-Lease, 161 of these were shipped abroad. Under the auspices of this program, the majority of the 525 Warner Scarab Fairchild 24s/C-61s went to Great Britain. Most of these aircraft saw service as Argus Is and improved Argus IIs and were allocated to a newly formed adjunct of the Royal Air Force (RAF), the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA). An additional 306 Ranger powered Argus IIIs were also used by the ATA. In British service, the majority of the Argus type operated with the ATA ferrying their aircrew to collect or deliver aircraft to and from manufacturers, Maintenance Units (MU)s and operational bases.

I think this aircraft may have an interesting histior it's own....don't you think?