Cool Backdrop from Bing

Started by James Shaw, December 17, 2011, 11:50:35 AM

James Shaw

Logged in to do some research this morning for work and found this background as the Bing Main Page. That is a CAP aircraft (rust red color). I will find the info on it as well.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

capmaj

I think they are part of the ceiling display at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles.

BillB

How do you know it's a CAP aircraft? There are no markings on it at all.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Every time someone uses Bing, a kitten cries...

"That Others May Zoom"

Chief2009

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

SarDragon

Quote from: capmaj on December 17, 2011, 12:33:49 PM
I think they are part of the ceiling display at the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles.

Nope. Wrong ceiling. SFU-H has a metal roof. Glass won't handle the amount of snow that DC gets.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Again, how do we know this is a CAP plane?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Chief2009

This one in particular may not have been used by CAP, but  Fairchild 24's were used by CAP.

http://www.cap-ny153.org/apps/photos/photo?photoid=72451608
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Chief2009 on December 18, 2011, 12:37:31 AM
This one in particular may not have been used by CAP, but  Fairchild 24's were used by CAP.

Cessna 182s are being used. Random 182 doesn't equal CAP Plane. Ditto with the Fairchild.

I never said they weren't. While it is nice to see an aircraft in a museum, I want to know why CapHistorian characterized it is a "CAP aircraft"

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

EMT-83

Me thinks the young cadet should lose the attitude when addressing a highly accomplished CAP member such as Lt Col Shaw.

davidsinn

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on December 18, 2011, 12:46:40 AM
Quote from: Chief2009 on December 18, 2011, 12:37:31 AM

Cessna 182s are being used. Random 182 doesn't equal CAP Plane. Ditto with the Fairchild.

I never said they weren't. While it is nice to see an aircraft in a museum, I want to know why CapHistorian characterized it is a "CAP aircraft"

Here's the poop on that aricraft

QuoteThe Museum's F-24 was built in Hagerstown, Maryland in early 1941 and purchased by famous ventriloquist Edgar Bergan.  Bergan sold the plane to the president of a Spokane radio station and it was acquired for Army use in 1943.  After the war, it flew with many private owners until it was purchased and restored by Ragnar Pettersson in 1981.  Pettersson donated the F-24 to the Museum in 1985.

Acquired for Army use could be CAP.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

The linked article provided some provenance, and I'm sure LtCol Shaw will provide us with the results of any further research.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARDOC

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 18, 2011, 01:21:09 AM
Me thinks the young cadet should lose the attitude when addressing a highly accomplished CAP member such as Lt Col Shaw.
I don't have attitude. I am just requesting his sources.

Army isn't CAP. Nowhere does the article mention CAP. I think they'd put that in there.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Chappie

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on December 18, 2011, 01:56:49 AM
Quote from: EMT-83 on December 18, 2011, 01:21:09 AM
I don't have attitude. I am just requesting his sources.

Army isn't CAP. Nowhere does the article mention CAP. I think they'd put that in there.

"Army isn't CAP" .... methinks that someone needs to look at the beginnings of our organization and see from whence we came  ;)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Extremepredjudice

Our parent organization was, for a while, the Army. We still weren't members of the army, as we aren't members of the air force. We are the USAF AUX. They'd drop the Auxiliary part if we were part of the air force.

Unless, sir, you want to say we are part of the Air Force, which means CAP officers can order around USAF personnel. I think it has been established we can't and rightly so.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Chappie

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on December 18, 2011, 05:16:06 AM
Our parent organization was, for a while, the Army. We still weren't members of the army, as we aren't members of the air force. We are the USAF AUX. They'd drop the Auxiliary part if we were part of the air force.

Unless, sir, you want to say we are part of the Air Force, which means CAP officers can order around USAF personnel. I think it has been established we can't and rightly so.

I think you missed the point....the Civil Air Patrol was under the oversight of the US Army Air Corps.  The Army could have bought the plane (s) for service in the Civil Air Patrol.   Never intended to imply that Civil Air Patrol members were either considered to be Army and/or Air Force personnel.  We have always been the Auxiliary.   My comment was directed toward the source of the aircraft.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

James Shaw

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on December 18, 2011, 12:46:40 AM
I want to know why CapHistorian characterized it is a "CAP aircraft"

Please see the attached photo of the caption of the picture source. You will also see the tail number of the aircraft listed on the museums description and a snapshot of the tailnumbers CAP has for those aircraft used in CAP during WWII.

Thanks for the challenge, and you really should look a little more into the founding of CAP. There is a link on CAPtalk to a pdf version of the Flying Minute Men.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

AdAstra

Would you please post the entire list of CAP aircraft? Based on the limited records that I've found, I've always assumed that these were member-owned. Any records of Army Air Corps or Army Air Force aircraft used by CAP?
Charles Wiest

BillB

KJeep in mind that immediately following World War II, the Army Air Force "loaned" CAP a multitude of aircraft. These were L-4's, L-5's and a few L-21's and even fewer C-45's (twin Beech) These asircraft flown by CAP were still on the Air Force inventory, and the Air Force did all maintenance.. This was back in the days when cadets could qualify as what is now Mission Pilopt and Mission Observer. In fact as a cadet I flew several missions with a cadet observer. Really cool for a teenager to fly an Air Force aircraft carrying Air Force markings.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104