The First National Cadet Advisory Council - 1970

Started by Cindi, August 21, 2011, 01:19:47 PM

Cindi

Civil Air Patrol history: On January 7 through 10, 1971 at the Statler Hilton in Dallas, Texas the first National Cadet Advisory Council met. From left, Cadet Colonel Tony Upton (1950-2010), Pacific Region; Cadet Lt. Col. Larry Willers, Rocky Mountain Region; Cadet Lt. Col. Stephen Graben, Southwest Region; Cadet Lt. Col. Diana Goodyear, Great Lakes Region; Cadet Lt. Col. Donald Maxfield, Southeast Region; Brigadier General Samuel Hallock duPont, Chairman, Civil Air Patrol; Cadet Colonel Thomas Richardson, Middle East Region and Cadet Colonel Harry Mertz, Northeast Region:

ol'fido

Great photo! Is it just me or do the c/Cols of that era look a lot more mature than a similar group photo than you would probably see today. And it ain't just the cadet with the mustache! Keep coming with those pics. :)
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Cindi

Quote from: ol'fido on August 21, 2011, 02:00:22 PM
Great photo! Is it just me or do the c/Cols of that era look a lot more mature than a similar group photo than you would probably see today. And it ain't just the cadet with the mustache! Keep coming with those pics. :)

I am pleased you like the pick. Unfortunately, the guy with the mustache died last year in a bulldozer or farm tractor accident. Here is a bigger picture:

ol'fido

Sorry to hear that. I did notice the dates you put on the OP for him. I also note that several of the cadets are wearing wings and very few(or no) ribbons. About the maturity thing.... I thought it was me getting older that made the cadets look so young, but like I said, these cadets look very mature compared to the cadets I usually see at activities.

Cindi

Quote from: ol'fido on August 21, 2011, 02:19:47 PM
Sorry to hear that. I did notice the dates you put on the OP for him. I also note that several of the cadets are wearing wings and very few(or no) ribbons. About the maturity thing.... I thought it was me getting older that made the cadets look so young, but like I said, these cadets look very mature compared to the cadets I usually see at activities.

Glad you like the picture. In addition to the first National Cadet Advisory Council, the Advanced Cadet Leadership Symposium was held with about 100 senior cadets and Jack Sorenson, National Commander Richard Ellis and CAP Chairman of the Board, Hal duPont. Here are more pictures from the January 7-10th 1971 Advanced Cadet Leadership Symposium at the Statler Hilton in Dallas, Texas:

Cindi

The above pictures with a higher resolution are available at http://forums.spaatz.org/viewtopic.php?t=201

NIN

Love the pic of Seminar 7. The kid from NH is in Combination 3's (a totally underappreciated uniform combo, darn it) and sitting next to Ed Sackley, which, it appears, is the ONLY person from that whole set of photos I recognize.

:)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Cindi

Quote from: NIN on August 21, 2011, 03:23:50 PM
Love the pic of Seminar 7. The kid from NH is in Combination 3's (a totally underappreciated uniform combo, darn it) and sitting next to Ed Sackley, which, it appears, is the ONLY person from that whole set of photos I recognize.

:)

Interesting uniform combination indeed. Here is the picture blown up a little (since u liked it so much!)

ol'fido

I wander if the Hartmann girl in Seminar 3 was any relation to Margaret Hartmann who was a fixture for many years as the Admin Officer at most of the SARCAPs and SARDAs we had in Southern Illinois.

Cindi

Quote from: ol'fido on August 21, 2011, 08:30:50 PM
I wander if the Hartmann girl in Seminar 3 was any relation to Margaret Hartmann who was a fixture for many years as the Admin Officer at most of the SARCAPs and SARDAs we had in Southern Illinois.

The Hartmann girl in Seminar 3 was Cadet Major Mary Ann Hartmann of Belleville, Illinois. Hope that answered your question.

ol'fido

That is probably her daughter. I have some photos from BITD on a Facebook page called the "Southern Illinois Auxiliaryman's Association if you want to see some pics of Margaret Hartmann. The old saw WIWAC was that getting water for Maj. Hartmann's big Bunn coffee pot was like a right of passage for the new cadets.

ol'fido

Do you know where Klaus is from in that same pic? Also, the previously discussed Ed Sackley?

Cindi

Quote from: ol'fido on August 22, 2011, 02:39:04 PM
Do you know where Klaus is from in that same pic? Also, the previously discussed Ed Sackley?

Cadet Captain David Klaus was from Metropolis, Illinois

Michael S. Sackley was from Evanston , Illinois

ol'fido

Can I put the pics with the Illinois cadets on my FB page?

Cindi

Quote from: ol'fido on August 23, 2011, 02:37:39 AM
Can I put the pics with the Illinois cadets on my FB page?

Please, feel free to use the pictures. You or anyone else.

PA Guy

That is because the ones I know in the pictures were more mature.  They were 19-20 yrs old and many were living on their own.  They would have been insulted and horrified if they had been treated the way cadets today are treated.  Many of them are wearing wings because they had attended one of the old National Flying Encampments which were much more advanced than the current versions.  I seem to recall they were 3-4 weeks long at various flying schools around the country with classes and flying every day.

PA Guy

Quote from: Cindi on August 21, 2011, 02:07:15 PM

I am pleased you like the pick. Unfortunately, the guy with the mustache died last year in a bulldozer or farm tractor accident. Here is a bigger picture:

Tony Upton was killed in Dec 2010 when a bulldozer he was operating on his ranch near Santa Barbara, CA rolled over.

Cindi

Quote from: PA Guy on August 23, 2011, 05:30:44 AM

That is because the ones I know in the pictures were more mature.  They were 19-20 yrs old and many were living on their own.  They would have been insulted and horrified if they had been treated the way cadets today are treated.  Many of them are wearing wings because they had attended one of the old National Flying Encampments which were much more advanced than the current versions.  I seem to recall they were 3-4 weeks long at various flying schools around the country with classes and flying every day.

The Cadet Flying Encampment License in 1970 in Stillwater, Oklahama lasted four weeks. Cadets had to have passed the FAA written and solo first, and then after a month of intense ground school and flying you got your license. Pressure was high as no one had failed before. You were not about to be the first. Transportation to and from Stillwater was paid for. The only fee was $99 for a months lodging in the dorms at Oklahoma State University. In each wing two cadets were selected for training.

ol'fido

Thanks on the FB thing. Wow! Wish they had something like that now.

a2capt

Flight with the instructor was like $16 bucks an hour back then. That $16 bucks isn't equal to the $160 that costs today..  Insurance and AvGas have taken a much higher proportion of it. :)

The closest we get now are the "$1000" flight academies. Still a great deal, all things considered.