CAWG CTG Logo - 49th CTS?

Started by PhoenixRisen, July 06, 2011, 02:20:06 AM

PhoenixRisen

Is anyone familiar with the signifigance of the 49th Cadet Training Squadron, which is symbolized on the CAWG Cadet Training Group seal?

The only thing I've heard was that it was in honor of the cadet who was going to command the squadron, because he passed away in a car accident before the encampment.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

ßτε

The 49th CTS was commanded posthumously by Thomas Doyle. If I remember correctly, he was scheduled to command a CTS in 1981, but couldn't due to his admission to the USAF Acadamy. After graduating, he flew F-16s. Over Germany, he was flying an F-16 and encountered a malfunction. Instead of bailing out, he stayed with the plane, supposedly to prevent crashing in an inhabited area.

By the way, he was my cadet commander when I first joined CAP.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: ß τ ε on July 06, 2011, 02:56:45 AM
The 49th CTS was commanded posthumously by Thomas Doyle. If I remember correctly, he was scheduled to command a CTS in 1981, but couldn't due to his admission to the USAF Acadamy. After graduating, he flew F-16s. Over Germany, he was flying an F-16 and encountered a malfunction. Instead of bailing out, he stayed with the plane, supposedly to prevent crashing in an inhabited area.

By the way, he was my cadet commander when I first joined CAP.

Thank you for the info -- much appreciated!

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Well, I actually meant the insignia in question, but he looks like a fine young man.  Sad story.

"That Others May Zoom"

PhoenixRisen

There's an embedded picture in my original post.  If that's not showing up, a copy (with the "49th CTS" guidon, and not one that says "CTG") can be seen here:

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/27537_106209316087480_6389_n.jpg

PhoenixRisen

If that doesn't work -- this one is the exact same, except substitute "49 CTS" for "CTG".

http://www.cawgcadets.org/images/CTG.gif

Eclipse

Nothing above, Facebook doesn't allow direct linking.

Nice.

"That Others May Zoom"

PA Guy