Main Menu

CPPT

Started by Huey Driver, May 10, 2011, 02:13:20 AM

Huey Driver

Hey all, I have a quick question. When was the Cadet Protection Policy implemented? I can't find an answer out there so far..
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

SarDragon

CAPR 52-10 goes back at least to 2 Jan 2001. I don't have anything farther back than that.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

I took Cadet Protection back in '94 when I first joined as a senior, so before that, if that's what you're asking. If you mean for cadets, don't know.

PA Guy

CPPT was introduced in 1991.

sardak

I took initial cadet protection training in the early 90's, also.

CAPR 52-10, CAP Cadet Protection Policy, was first released 2 Jan 1999. This version states that it supersedes CAPM 50-16, Chapter 1, Section B, dated 1 Mar 94.  In the summary of changes, it states that CAPM 50-16, CAP Cadet Training Program, Chapter 1, Section B, CAP Cadet Protection Policy and Program was separated out to become this regulation.

The rest of CAPM 50-16 became CAPR 52-16, Cadet Programs Management, dated 31 December 1998. The summary of changes in this new reg is over a half page long. It starts out "Renumbered all cadet program publication series to 52..."

Mike

flyboy53

Early 1990s... I was in the MA wing at the time.

At first, you were actually taking the Boy Scout course and issued a second ID card. reflecting that it had been completed.

FW

In 1990, all senior members had to undergo a background check and submitt to finger printing.  In 1991, the first CPPT was implemented.  We needed this due to some very disturbing "discoveries" over the previous couple of years. 

On one hand, we lost thousands of members over this.  On the other hand..... best thing we ever did, at the time, to protect our cadets.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I joined in '93 and it was in place then.

However, material from the BSA was used for mine.  Later on, for a refresher course, I remember a video led by Captain Scott O'Grady.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

davidsinn

Quote from: CyBorg on May 10, 2011, 01:28:13 PM

However, material from the BSA was used for mine.  Later on, for a refresher course, I remember a video led by Captain Scott O'Grady.

I had to endure that same video in 2006. Crappy video. ::)
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Huey Driver

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I was just curious because I asked one of my squadron's senior members how long our squadron has been around and he told us it had been around for a while, then shut down by National in the very late 80's for some..cadet/ senior member "issues"... you know what I mean.  Now I'm pretty sure that those "issues" were the top factors contributing to CPPT.  :-\
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

SarDragon

They started the fingerprint business before Aug '89, because I had to get them done while I was still with my unit in Japan. I don't remember any specific time frame, though. I'm guessing late '88 or early '89.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

Fingerprints were required for all new members in '89.  Deadline for all members to be fingerprinted was Jan 31, 1990.  It was a very interesting time back then...

Ned

FWIW, I was on one of the committees dealing with the issues then, and the primary motivator (beyond safeguarding our cadets, naturally) was the loss of insurance coverage for molestation issues.

Without insurance, all it would have taken to essentially wipe out CAP was one substantial jury verdict in a situation involving a cadet and a senior.

And it wasn't just us.  We were working closely with Scouting and groups like Big Brothers/Big Sisters to develop protocols and best practices in the youth development industry.

After a lot of hard work, the CPP was developed.   For all its strengths and flaws, it has served us well in the area of sexual abuse.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I think, other than the obvious educational aspects, CPPT is a good CYA move for CAP...that way a bad actor who does something like that can't say "you weren't warned."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Therapst

Fingerprint cards were required for all senior member applicants at least as far back as 1963.

EMT-83

Quote from: FW on May 10, 2011, 11:36:15 AM
In 1990, all senior members had to undergo a background check and submitt to finger printing.  In 1991, the first CPPT was implemented.  We needed this due to some very disturbing "discoveries" over the previous couple of years. 

On one hand, we lost thousands of members over this.  On the other hand..... best thing we ever did, at the time, to protect our cadets.

Why were so many members lost?

FW

Most thought the fingerprints were a violation of their privacy rights.  They left the organization rather than "go with the flow".  The rest may have refused fingerprinting because of what we may have found out.

BillB

Fingerprints were first required in the mid 1960's. But they were required in the 1940's and dropped in the 1950's, until reinstated in the 60's. Probably 1963 or 64.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

FW

There was an extended period in our history when fingerprints were not required to join as a SM.  However, in 1989 it became a requirement for ALL members to be fingerprinted and undergo a background check.  Those who refused to be fingerprinted were removed from the membership roles by Jan 1991. 
PAWG alone lost about 1000 members in 1990 because of this.

brenaud

Quote from: davidsinn on May 10, 2011, 03:12:00 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on May 10, 2011, 01:28:13 PM

I had to endure that same video in 2006. Crappy video. ::)

Not only did I endure the old videos (CPPT as well as the one for Orientation), as a squadron PDO I also inflicted them on quite a few members.
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699