Squadron numbers vs. charter numbers

Started by dbaran, January 30, 2011, 04:31:56 AM

dbaran

Out of curiosity, can anyone explain the logic (or lack thereof) as to how the numbers in squadron names are related to the charter number? 

Here in CA, we have:

Squadron 10 which is CA214
Squadron 44 which is CA096
Squadron 80 which is CA110  (80 squadrons in San Jose, CA?  not likely)
Squadron 18 which is CA452

If you are starting a new squadron, do you just pick a random number and stick it in the name?  Does it have to be a small integer, or can it be a decimal number, a fraction, an imaginary number, or something other than base 10?

Silicon Valley Squadron 1010000 has a nice ring to it, now that I think about it.

CAPR 20-3 says that you may use numbers to avoid confusion, but we definitely do not have enough squadrons around here that could be confused.  We've got one in Oakland, one in Concord, one in San Francisco, etc.

And are charter numbers sequential, or does someone just pick one out of the air as long as it doesn't conflict with anything else?

a2capt

The numbers in the unit names are not necessarily sequential. Even though they might be sequential.

The number us usually chosen by the unit and probably signifies something that unit history can fill you in on. Maybe one unit was started with the combination of two prior ones, and is the sum of the numbers from the prior unit.

Maybe the unit number is the altitude of the air field that the unit is located at.

Maybe the number is paying homage to a prior or current near by military unit.

Maybe the number is the numerical value of the position of the alphabet of someones initials.

The charter numbers, OTOH, tend to be in the order issued. There may not be 475 units in California, but a charter number is not re-used. Units close, merge, etc.

Major Carrales

Naming conventions seem to vary from Wing to Wing.  It may be that California names its units after numbers, or did in the past.  When forming a unit, one of the things allowed is to "name the unit."  There is guidance in CAP regulations.  The Charter Number is a separate concept, more for organizational use while the name is what the public usually sees.

In our part of Texas, we tend to name our squadrons after location.  The Corpus Christi Composite Squadron, Victoria Composite Squadron and Brownsville Composite Squadron follow this convention.  Our new squadron, Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron, is based in Kingsville, Texas but is open to all cadets in our part of the Coastal Bend, a term identified with our area.

Some units are named after nearby installations, such as the Rahdolph Composite Squadron and Lackland Cadet Squadron, named for the USAF installations they are associated with.

There has been debates here about naming conventions for units.  Some suggest the numbering system, others suggest location and some suggest using only the charter number. 

I believe a few years back the Iowa Wing, which was doing radical reform at the time (such as moving all field grade officers to Wing and consolidating training, creating CAP STATIONS and the like) was entertaining the idea of a numbering system.  Since these reforms, and an issue with the appointing and removal of a WING COMMANDER (one who was a beloved CAPTALK THREADSTER), were ended I do not know of what became of the practice there.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

Most CAP units don't have numbers in their names.  Only a few wings do that while in most places the squadron is named after a town, or sometimes after a worthwhile person.  I've got no idea what is going in CA since every instance that I'm aware of where there is a number in a squadron name it is the charter number.

JohnKachenmeister

Back in the 50's and 60's, squadrons were numbered by the Wing, and the charter number was meaningless.  Then the trend moved, in the late 60's I think, to naming, rather than numbering squadrons, although some wings did not follow the trend.

In Ohio, the Groups assigned numbers commencing with the Group number... Group 6 would have Squadrons 601, 602, 603, etc.  Other wings had different systems.

With the advent of e-services in the 90's, the charter number became more important, and numbering of squadrons was abandoned in most places to avoid confusion. In many cases an "Informal" squadron designation incorporating the charter number is used.  My squadron is officially the Merritt Island Squadron, but is usually refered to as "122" or the "122nd" based on the charter number of SER-FL-122.
Another former CAP officer

SarDragon

I have been a member of three wings during my 30+ years of active CAP membership - New Jersey, Maine, and California. The first two are fairly small, an unit names are frequently county names, and if not, a town or city name. A couple of units are named after former unit members.

Here's a repost of something I wrote in '05:

I despise CAWG's number system. Someone says they are from Squadron 1481, and anyone not familiar with where the units are located has no freaking idea where they are based. In a wing as large as CAWG, that makes it really difficult. I've been in the wing almost six years now, and still can't accurately place a lot of the units.

I much prefer a location based naming convention, so when someone says Podunk County Composite Sq, I know where they "live". "Memorial" squadrons are a little harder to work with, but there's usually a better association between squadron name and location than simply a number. E.g. - Joe Schmuckatelli Composite Squadron, named after a prominent figure in the unit's history who used to live close to the unit's home. "Yeah, old Joe was from Beerfroth, up north. Great guy." That makes the location more specific than just saying Sq 1481. What's the significance of 1481?

There are at least two units in CAWG with special numbers that do have significance - Simi Valley Challenger Composite Squadron 1986, the year of the Challenger exploded, and Big Bear Valley Composite Squadron 6750, their altitude.

Each unit name has two parts - the number, and a real name. I belong to San Diego Senior Squadron 57. That's the official name. Its general referential term is Squadron 57. The irony is that, for a long time, we didn't even meet in the city of San Diego. We met in El Cajon. We do currently meet in SD.

There is no correlation between charter number and squadron number, with one exception.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: dbaran on January 30, 2011, 04:31:56 AM
And are charter numbers sequential, or does someone just pick one out of the air as long as it doesn't conflict with anything else?

The only charter numbers that - as far as I know - have "special meaning" (beyond Wing HQ units) are those that are part of the school program.  My unit's charter is PCR-CA-803 -- only School Program units are associated with the 800-series.  Anyone can pick a number for the squadron (if your wing will allow having one in the name) centering on whatever you like; thats what I did with my squadron when I helped initiate the chartering process (Escondido Cadet Squadron 714).

Grumpy

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on February 05, 2011, 06:22:19 AM
Quote from: dbaran on January 30, 2011, 04:31:56 AM

The only charter numbers that - as far as I know - have "special meaning" (beyond Wing HQ units) are those that are part of the school program.  My unit's charter is PCR-CA-803 -- only School Program units are associated with the 800-series.  Anyone can pick a number for the squadron (if your wing will allow having one in the name) centering on whatever you like; that's what I did with my squadron when I helped initiate the chartering process (Escondido Cadet Squadron 714).

Why did you pick 714?  Dragnet was before your time, or am I dating myself?

a2capt

Someones initials, I just forget who. The numeral order of the letters in the alphabet.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: a2capt on February 05, 2011, 06:58:21 AM
Someones initials, I just forget who. The numeral order of the letters in the alphabet.

The initials of Capt Gene Joseph Devlin.  Our unit commander is a close friend of Capt Devlin's son.  Capt Devlin was also laid to rest locally (Fort Rosecrans).  We thought it would be a nice "tribute" of sorts.

G - 7th letter of the alphabet
J - 10th letter (shortened to 1)
D - 4th letter