National Curator work for 2010

Started by James Shaw, January 06, 2011, 12:19:02 PM

James Shaw

Greetings all. As I have done for the last several years I am listing some of the stuff I have done for CAP as the National Curator. I can't remember all of it but this is a relatively good list. This does not include my work with the CAPHF because they are separate responsibilities.

I love being a historian and hope it shows in the work. I do not have the opportunity to impact policy or lead CAP in a new direction but I do feel that as a historian I can make an impact for CAP by representing it to local, regional, and national level people. I record and collect the history to preserve a foundation of heritage and service that we have enjoyed for 69 years. I try to represent CAP and General Courter as a member of her staff in whatever capacity she needs and with honesty and integrity.

This is a similar format from 2009.

CAP Courses: N/A
Awards & Decorations: N/A
Promotions: Lt Col. December 1, 2010

1) Project leader for Kruse Museum display (CAP). Worked with museum on photos, script, and Posters. Worked with great team M Gen Amy Courter, Lt Col Todd Engelman, Lt Col Ray Lyon, and Ms. Spencer Morfit.
2) Sent additional 800 photos on disc for selection display. Cataloged photos for museum by subject matter and time period.
3) Provided history of CAP and current CAP information to Tennessee State Aviation Museum.
4) Attended GAWG Conference as keynote speaker.
5) Compiled selected photos for Rehoboth Beach Museum to be used to honor WWII era members.
6) Presented Historical Seminar at SER Conference.
7) Converted 8 CAP 16MM movies for future publication.
8 Edited Historical Preservation Manual with Lt Col Todd Engeman & 1st Lt Kacey Smith
9) Provided historical foundation with music CD to use for fund raising.
10) Acquired Coastal Patrol Base 11 scrapbook.
11) Designed challenge coin for Wreaths Across America, Drug Demand Reduction Program.
12) Submitted design for Air Patrol, Benjamin O Davis, Tuskegee Airman Medal, and National Honors Ribbon.
13) Donated 100 copies of Flying Minutemen to CAP Music and Memories CD for distribution at NB.
14) Created custom glass piece for Gen Djuric for presentation at National Board meeting
15) Elected as Director CAP Historical Foundation.
16) Created custom glass eagle for outgoing CAPHF Executive director.
17) Wrote letters to all historical societies located in former Coastal Patrol base areas in support of the Congressional Gold Medal Program.
18) Burned 30 CD's with PDF copy of Flying Minute Men in support of Congressional Gold Medal Program.
19) Mailed 30 copies of From Maine to Mexico to historical societies located in former Coastal Patrol base areas in support of the Congressional Gold Medal Program.
20) Located unpublished copy of Coastal Patrol Base 14 out of Panama City Beach history book complete with pictures. Negotiated free publication from historical society for wide use at no cost.
21) Located 15 additional Medal of Valor recipients for Medal of Valor Association.
22) Created and donated 17 crystal pieces for distrubution to various CAP personnel who have supported historical efforts.
23) Arranged donation of 40 Reflective Safety vests to GAWG. (Cost of $1000).
24) Arranged donation of large First Responder Bag to SER-GA-153 (Cost $250).
25) Arranged donation of Garmin GPS to SER-GA-153 (Cost $250).
26) Donated complete historical library to SER-GA-002 (50 Air Force Historical Volumes)
27) Provided historical information to Tennessee Historical Magazine (Edited story for magazine).
28) Presented historical program to SER-GA-002.
29) Presented CAP Historical Program with Lt Col Todd Engelman, 1st Lt Kacey Smith at NB in San Diego.
30) Assisted in creation of historical displays at NHQ building.
31) Arranged for donation of use of U Boat Archives photos from U Boat Archives.net
32) Provided input on several unit, group, wing, and regional patches.
33) Enjoyed every minute of it!
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

BillB

You were are are Ass't National Historian. What did the National Historian do during the same time frame? It looks like what you have accomplished falls outside and above normal duty requirements for an Assistant position or even National Curator. 
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JohnKachenmeister

But... How do you fit all that on a baseball card?

Lt. Col. John Kachenmeister
Team:  Florida 122nd.
Position:  Commander

2010 Season Highlights:  Several Missions
                                      Made most meetings
                                      Spent most of season on the Disabled List
Another former CAP officer

James Shaw

Quote from: BillB on January 06, 2011, 01:01:31 PM
You were are are Ass't National Historian. What did the National Historian do during the same time frame? It looks like what you have accomplished falls outside and above normal duty requirements for an Assistant position or even National Curator.

I gave up the job of Assistant National Historian when I accepted the National Curator job. That job is now held by Lt Col Todd Engelman of Ohio Wing. He is also the regional historian for his region.

Col Len Blascovich is the National Historian and he is VERY busy as a historian as well. Most members wil not see the work we do but we do work VERY hard for CAP and Gen Courter.

Some of the items are not part of my normal duties but they are things I have done for and on behalf of CAP.
Jim Shaw

ol'fido

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 06, 2011, 01:11:07 PM

Made most meetings
Kach, I think were going to have to reactivate you and designate you for assignment. ;D ;D

Ona more serious note, is the Historic Preservation Manual available? If not, when will it be?

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

ColonelJack

Quote from: caphistorian on January 06, 2011, 12:19:02 PM
Greetings all. As I have done for the last several years I am listing some of the stuff I have done for CAP as the National Curator. I can't remember all of it but this is a relatively good list. This does not include my work with the CAPHF because they are separate responsibilities.

I love being a historian and hope it shows in the work. I do not have the opportunity to impact policy or lead CAP in a new direction but I do feel that as a historian I can make an impact for CAP by representing it to local, regional, and national level people. I record and collect the history to preserve a foundation of heritage and service that we have enjoyed for 69 years. I try to represent CAP and General Courter as a member of her staff in whatever capacity she needs and with honesty and integrity.

This is a similar format from 2009.

CAP Courses: N/A
Awards & Decorations: N/A
Promotions: Lt Col. December 1, 2010

1) Project leader for Kruse Museum display (CAP). Worked with museum on photos, script, and Posters. Worked with great team M Gen Amy Courter, Lt Col Todd Engelman, Lt Col Ray Lyon, and Ms. Spencer Morfit.
2) Sent additional 800 photos on disc for selection display. Cataloged photos for museum by subject matter and time period.
3) Provided history of CAP and current CAP information to Tennessee State Aviation Museum.
4) Attended GAWG Conference as keynote speaker.
5) Compiled selected photos for Rehoboth Beach Museum to be used to honor WWII era members.
6) Presented Historical Seminar at SER Conference.
7) Converted 8 CAP 16MM movies for future publication.
8 Edited Historical Preservation Manual with Lt Col Todd Engeman & 1st Lt Kacey Smith
9) Provided historical foundation with music CD to use for fund raising.
10) Acquired Coastal Patrol Base 11 scrapbook.
11) Designed challenge coin for Wreaths Across America, Drug Demand Reduction Program.
12) Submitted design for Air Patrol, Benjamin O Davis, Tuskegee Airman Medal, and National Honors Ribbon.
13) Donated 100 copies of Flying Minutemen to CAP Music and Memories CD for distribution at NB.
14) Created custom glass piece for Gen Djuric for presentation at National Board meeting
15) Elected as Director CAP Historical Foundation.
16) Created custom glass eagle for outgoing CAPHF Executive director.
17) Wrote letters to all historical societies located in former Coastal Patrol base areas in support of the Congressional Gold Medal Program.
18) Burned 30 CD's with PDF copy of Flying Minute Men in support of Congressional Gold Medal Program.
19) Mailed 30 copies of From Maine to Mexico to historical societies located in former Coastal Patrol base areas in support of the Congressional Gold Medal Program.
20) Located unpublished copy of Coastal Patrol Base 14 out of Panama City Beach history book complete with pictures. Negotiated free publication from historical society for wide use at no cost.
21) Located 15 additional Medal of Valor recipients for Medal of Valor Association.
22) Created and donated 17 crystal pieces for distrubution to various CAP personnel who have supported historical efforts.
23) Arranged donation of 40 Reflective Safety vests to GAWG. (Cost of $1000).
24) Arranged donation of large First Responder Bag to SER-GA-153 (Cost $250).
25) Arranged donation of Garmin GPS to SER-GA-153 (Cost $250).
26) Donated complete historical library to SER-GA-002 (50 Air Force Historical Volumes)
27) Provided historical information to Tennessee Historical Magazine (Edited story for magazine).
28) Presented historical program to SER-GA-002.
29) Presented CAP Historical Program with Lt Col Todd Engelman, 1st Lt Kacey Smith at NB in San Diego.
30) Assisted in creation of historical displays at NHQ building.
31) Arranged for donation of use of U Boat Archives photos from U Boat Archives.net
32) Provided input on several unit, group, wing, and regional patches.
33) Enjoyed every minute of it!

Gosh, Jim ... when are you going to get off your lazy duff and actually do something?   ;D

Seriously, on behalf of GA-153, thank you for all you've done for us.  It's much appreciated -- as is all of the hard work you do.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

JeffDG

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 06, 2011, 01:11:07 PM

Made most meetings

You know, in a Cadet or Composite squadron, making up something like that might be an interesting exercise...

JC004

Terrible record, Jim.  What the heck?  This is the standard for national officers now?!  How lazy can you be?!  Garmin GPS rather than Delorme?!   >:D

KIDDING!  You do great work and have great ideas.  Keep it up.   :clap:

James Shaw

Quote from: JC004 on January 07, 2011, 09:22:39 PM
Terrible record, Jim.  What the heck?  This is the standard for national officers now?!  How lazy can you be?!  Garmin GPS rather than Delorme?!   >:D

All of the national officers provide a great level of service and dedication. And yes I believe I am getting lazy.
Jim Shaw

flyboy53

Thank you for all you've done. This coming year, how about tracking down the list of Unit Citations and making it a formal reference document.

James Shaw

Quote from: flyboy1 on January 09, 2011, 12:01:37 AM
Thank you for all you've done. This coming year, how about tracking down the list of Unit Citations and making it a formal reference document.

It would probably be easier to find our two sunk subs, but it is worth a try!
Jim Shaw

BillB

Find the two sunk subs? I know exactly where each one is. Resting on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

James Shaw

Quote from: BillB on January 09, 2011, 12:45:22 AM
Find the two sunk subs? I know exactly where each one is. Resting on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean

I am sending the black vans to your house!!
Jim Shaw

RiverAux

Quote from: caphistorian on January 09, 2011, 02:32:24 AM
For 2011 you need to work on acquisition of one of these vans.  They're an important part of our history. 

James Shaw

Quote from: RiverAux on January 09, 2011, 03:49:48 AM
Quote from: caphistorian on January 09, 2011, 02:32:24 AM
For 2011 you need to work on acquisition of one of these vans.  They're an important part of our history.

Ride on man!!
Jim Shaw

BTCS1*

:clap: :clap: :clap:
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

JC004

Quote from: caphistorian on January 08, 2011, 12:44:22 AM
Quote from: JC004 on January 07, 2011, 09:22:39 PM

And yes I believe I am getting lazy.

I'd hate to see you un-lazy then.   ;)

JohnKachenmeister

Obviously, BillB is an engineer.  The information he gives us is technically correct, yet absolutely useless.
Another former CAP officer

davidsinn

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 09, 2011, 01:46:00 PM

Obviously, BillB is an engineer.  The information he gives us is technically correct, yet absolutely useless.

And Col. Shaw is like a manager because he didn't ask the question with correct precision and got exactly the answer requested.  ;) Yes, I have had the word engineer in my job title before...why do you ask? ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

James Shaw

Quote from: davidsinn on January 09, 2011, 02:00:16 PM
And Col. Shaw is like a manager because he didn't ask the question with correct precision and got exactly the answer requested.  ;) Yes, I have had the word engineer in my job title before...why do you ask? ;D

Not only am I a Manager I am a Safety Manager....but I do usually get it done without having to as a question.
Jim Shaw