Civil Air Patrol News paper

Started by ascorbate, December 14, 2010, 05:19:06 PM

ascorbate

Just wondering if there is a central repository for the old Civil Air Patrol News paper(s)? I started receiving this monthly publication upon joining in 1975... and I have most (not all) till maybe 2003. When did CAP start/end this newspaper publication? Are any efforts underway to put together a complete album of all CAP News papers ever issued... digitially? These monthly newspapers probably have the best historical account of what CAP has done over the years... and when CAP did it... including member, squadron, group, wing, region and national accolades!
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

James Shaw

Quote from: ascorbate on December 14, 2010, 05:19:06 PM
Just wondering if there is a central repository for the old Civil Air Patrol News paper(s)?

That would be me. I can PM address and such if you like. It is always appreciated and welcomed.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

DProsser14

Dear Sir,

I just found out my cadet file was lost or burned in a fire.  I am trying to find the award number on my Billy Mitchell Award.  I am fairly certain that I received it in 85 but could be early 86.  If there is any way to get a copy of the awards section so I can verify my accomplishment. I was in Arizona Wing, Sq. 105.  I am trying to go through Wisconsin and Arizona Wing to see if they have any documents.

Thank you for your time!
Ch, Major at Las Vegas Composite Squadron
Former cadet in Arizona Wing - Sq. 105
and Kenosha, Wisconsin, Flying Bloodhounds

Майор Хаткевич

That's probably a question for the membership services people at NHQ who deal with all of the admin stuff.

Since the Mitchell was numbered by then, I'm sure they can do a name search.

flyboy53

When you call membership services, ask to speak to Jennifer Carroll. Ask Jennifer if she can run Cadet Form Z inquiry, which would be the last data in the system related to your cadet records and will verify the Mitchell Award. Regarding the specific number, however, I'm not sure when NHQ started numbering them and you you may only be able to request a replacement certificate without a number.

Good Luck!

ProdigalJim

Quote from: flyboy1 on June 02, 2011, 09:23:57 PM
When you call membership services, ask to speak to Jennifer Carroll. Ask Jennifer if she can run Cadet Form Z inquiry, which would be the last data in the system related to your cadet records and will verify the Mitchell Award. Regarding the specific number, however, I'm not sure when NHQ started numbering them and you you may only be able to request a replacement certificate without a number.

Good Luck!

I recently went through this exact same exercise, but there's a pretty strong possibility they won't find it. They were very, very nice and tried quite hard, but they couldn't find my Mitchell (which I got in 1981). It was numbered (but I don't remember the number). Someone at NHQ looked up the CAP News for the summer I got the award and sure enough, there was my name and charter number. Thus, I got credit for my (unnumbered) Mitchell. Still wish I could find the certificate, though. It would have looked nice...

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

DProsser14

Thank you all!  Found it was 11/85!

Not sure of my number but think it was 7,842?  Anyopne get their Mitchell around then that knows there number?
Ch, Major at Las Vegas Composite Squadron
Former cadet in Arizona Wing - Sq. 105
and Kenosha, Wisconsin, Flying Bloodhounds

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: DProsser14 on June 27, 2011, 05:10:18 PM
Thank you all!  Found it was 11/85!

Not sure of my number but think it was 7,842?  Anyopne get their Mitchell around then that knows there number?

Sound about right.

People who got theirs in 80-81 are running around here in the 1xxx range.

Mine was:
Billy Mitchell5458631 Mar 2006

ol'fido

Mitchell 31 Jan 80 #880

Earhart 30 Nov 81 #1009
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

RickFranz

Wow that would be a project, to build a historical data base from the old CAP Times.  If I recall they did put that in formation for the milestone awards in there.  How cool would that be?  8)
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

BillB

But National has no records of the Cadet COP. Guess it was pre-computer and nobody knows where the paper files are stored (if they still are)
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104