Meaning of Civil Air Patrol Three-Bladed Propeller

Started by Rafael, August 02, 2010, 10:24:07 PM

Rafael

The meaning of the propeller of  CAP is:
1) CAP blades: The 3 missions of CAP, Aerospace Education, Emergency Services, Cadet Programs.
2) The Hub: Means the members.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Is there a clear purpose for regurgitating stuff we all learned in out first six months in CAP? Just wondering.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Daniel

Alrighty then,

The Cadet Oath is,

I pledge that I will serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Programme and that I will attend meetings regularly, participate actively in unit activities, obey my officers, wear my uniform properly and advance my education and training rapidly to be of service to my community, state, and nation.

and the triangle is from the Civil Defense logo.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

SarDragon

That was not a request to continue the practice.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Daniel

C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

BillB

Rafeal

So what does the triangle in a blue circle without the propeller indicate in CAP?

Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

ol'fido

Quote from: BillB on August 03, 2010, 12:33:22 AM
Rafeal

So what does the triangle in a blue circle without the propeller indicate in CAP?
It wasn't specifically mentioned in CAPM 39-1, so it had to go. ;D ;D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JC004

So what does the revised, unofficial, unapproved (but still commonly in use at NHQ) logo mean?   >:D

j/w...

Quote from: SarDragon on August 03, 2010, 12:12:59 AM
That was not a request to continue the practice.

YAY!  The Countdown Clock of Doom is my favorite!

flyboy53

Quote from: BillB on August 03, 2010, 12:33:22 AM
Rafeal

History lesson, one more time.

The prop and triangle is because we were first organized as the air arm of Civil Defense. The reason costal patrol or other World War II aircraft don't have a prop in the middle of the triangle is the same reason the "meatball" was taken out of the middle of the star on military aircraft. The powers that be didn't want anyone mistaking us or the military for a certain 'then enemy' aircraft...even though that red circle was a lot larger.

BillB

Flyboy

You are 100% correct. All of the Coastal Patrol aircraft had the red prop removed from CAP aircraft markings. However, inland, tow-trarget, liaison patrol  aircraft and others retained the red prop.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JohnKachenmeister

The red prop was removed in mid-1942, based on speculation by some of the Doolittle Raiders that Jap planes that they saw did not attack because they MAY have seen the red meatball and mistook them for their own aircraft.  The thinking was that if the Japs could mistake the insignia for theirs, an American rookie pilot might make the same mistake and shoot down one of our own planes.

When the Air Corps and Navy changed the insignia, CAP did too.
Another former CAP officer

HGjunkie

[nitpick]

Quote from: Daniel L on August 03, 2010, 12:04:06 AM

I pledge that I will serve faithfully in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program, and that I will attend meetings regularly, participate actively in unit activities, obey my officers, wear my uniform properly, and advance my education and training rapidly to be of service to my community, state, and nation.

[/nitpick]
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Smithsonia

Actually, the three bladed prop is older than CAP missions. In fact we have the prop design before we have CAP. I think the oldest pictures I've seen are late Oct, or early Nov. 1941. Originally it was placed inside the Civil Defense triangle... hence 3 blades.
Similar organizations placed an object inside the triangle also. So, Air Raid Wardens, Medical and Fire Brigades, Aircraft Spotters all had a design element inside the Blue Triangle.

You can find allied civil defense use of the CD Blue triangle here: http://www.snyderstreasures.com/pages/homefront.htm
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Al Sayre

I think you all are answering a bot.  When I was in college, a few guys I knew were working on AI projects that would inject factoids into web conversations.  The OP did a drive by and made a few similar posts with factual statements but nothing else and hasn't been heard from since.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Майор Хаткевич

The bot did post some personal information which can be used to verify identity.

Smithsonia

Al;
Bot, really? I was hoping we were talking to Rafael Perez of the Cleveland Indians.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=6512

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Al Sayre

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 25, 2010, 04:36:51 PM
The bot did post some personal information which can be used to verify identity.

I must have missed that.  Mea Culpa
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SarDragon

There's an email addy and a unit in the profile.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret