Main Menu

Veterans' Day Off??

Started by Smoothice, November 10, 2009, 01:20:05 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: davidsinn on November 10, 2009, 03:49:50 PMI'd ask that next year they include uniformed auxiliary in that list and I'd point out that while PHS is a uniformed service as is NOAA Corp, they are not military and thus are not veterans any more than we are.

So you think that CAP is on an equal footing with PHS and NOAA?

PHS and NOAA have enlistments; their officers carry commissions; their chain of command is not optional. Those branches use the same pay scales as the armed services (O-2, O-5, etc); they utilize the same type of retirement system; and whether you believe it or not, both branches have people in Iraq.

They can shop at the BX/PX/NEX/Commissary, just like military personnel, without restriction. They have to put twenty years in for retirement, just like the Armed Services. They have initial entry training courses that are equivalents to military commissioning schools.

In general, they are far closer to "military" than today's Civil Air Patrol is or will be. CAP does not equate, and is not even remotely entitled to what they are.

lordmonar

Quote from: Smoothice on November 10, 2009, 01:20:05 PM
Hello all...
I was curious as to how all of you look at CAP as a "Uniformed Service". My company decided to give people the day off if they are in/were in the uniformed services. Now, I know we are not the military, but I personally feel that we DO serve our country. Take a look below at the statement from my HR people...do you think that we as CAP members would deserve a holiday??

Eligible full-time and part-time veteran employees who perform or performed duty (voluntarily or involuntary) in the "uniformed services" which includes, but is not limited to, the Army, Navy, Maine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, Army National Guard, Air National Guard, Public Health Service commissioned corps, as well as the reserve components of each of these services.  As such, the veteran employee and respective manager/supervisor are responsible to (a) establish the fixed holiday on Veterans Day, itself, or the Friday preceding or Monday following the recognized holiday for a calendar year; and (b) properly document usage of holiday time off on their time records."

It came up last minute so I will probably not fight it, but I was thinking of next year.

Thank You

No.....hell no!

Not that I don't think CAP service is something to look down on....it is no way on par with being in the military.

It is veteran's day.....not volunteer's day. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP