Main Menu

Veterans' Day Off??

Started by Smoothice, November 10, 2009, 01:20:05 PM

Smoothice

Hello all...
I was curious as to how all of you look at CAP as a "Uniformed Service". My company decided to give people the day off if they are in/were in the uniformed services. Now, I know we are not the military, but I personally feel that we DO serve our country. Take a look below at the statement from my HR people...do you think that we as CAP members would deserve a holiday??

Eligible full-time and part-time veteran employees who perform or performed duty (voluntarily or involuntary) in the "uniformed services" which includes, but is not limited to, the Army, Navy, Maine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, Army National Guard, Air National Guard, Public Health Service commissioned corps, as well as the reserve components of each of these services.  As such, the veteran employee and respective manager/supervisor are responsible to (a) establish the fixed holiday on Veterans Day, itself, or the Friday preceding or Monday following the recognized holiday for a calendar year; and (b) properly document usage of holiday time off on their time records."

It came up last minute so I will probably not fight it, but I was thinking of next year.

Thank You

NCRblues

I would say no, cap doesn't fit into that description
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

jimmydeanno

No, CAP is not a uniformed service or a reserve component of one.

CAP members shouldn't get veteran's day off because they're CAP members.

Lots of people serve our country, firemen, police, etc.  They wouldn't get Veteran's day off per the policy below, why would you for CAP service?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RicL

The only CAP volunteers that I would consider veterans would be those with prior military service or that served in CAP during coastal patrol. Also, the way your company's HR department has it written it's quite clearly restricted to those branches of service and their reserve components. CAP isn't the reserve component of the USAF, otherwise I wouldn't be eligible as a member (medical disqual).

My suggestion if you want next veteran's day off would be to get together with a veteran's organization and plan a recognition event for your local veterans. Plan something that CAP can participate in to remind the public of the sacrifices those veterans made. Then, and only then, I would write a letter to my employer and respectfully request the day off to participate in that event. I would also get permission to hit the employer up for a donation to the squadron to help support such events.

*shrug* That's just my $0.02

Smoothice

Good points...I do agree.

Like I said I was not trying to fight it, but I was curious about how others thaught about it

Stonewall

You may be a veteran of CAP service, but you are not a military veteran.  That's like asking for a military discount at a movie theater using your CAP ID.
Serving since 1987.

heliodoc

If you're a Veteran and workin for the State or Gov ...... Yes

If you're working for Corporate America........Some give the day off

If you're a Vet and in Gov AND CAP   ........   see above

If you're a Vet and in Corporate America and CAP......  see above

If you are CAP only and workin for either one....why do we EVEN worry about Vets Day for CAP

IT IS NOT a uniformed service....folks MAY think so just because we are the "AF Aux"

Why should CAP be afforded any special privileges...with that thinking....every volunteer should have Vets Day off, huh?

With folks getting laid in many industries INCLUDING Cessna Aircraft, the industry that supplies CAP with the largest fleet of GA fixed wing aircraft... I say Vets Day off for CAP......No  way especially if you are lucky enough to be working in this current environment.

NO Special treatment for CAP  and I am member, also.  I say if you are CAP and working, PLEASE do not ask for any more special favors.  Look at your respective States' laws on the books for CAP's day off or volunteers and please play those cards,  CAP looking for special treatment and days off is completely off base in regards.  CAP civilians with NO veterans and military background should not even broaching this subject, especially looking for days off just BECAUSE they are in CAP

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

AirAux

Unfortunately, Stonewall edited his post because I was going to get in line with him..  Now, can someone lay out a good definition of veteran?  It seems to me that there were some requirements as to dates served and length of time on active service, but being an old vet, I don't recall the particulars.  I also think one had to receive an Honorable Discharge??

Stonewall

Quote from: AirAux on November 10, 2009, 02:53:49 PMNow, can someone lay out a good definition of veteran? 

Just go to the Veteran's Administration's "Kids Page".

Who is a Veteran? 

Veterans are people who served in the military (U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, and Coast Guard) in times of war or peace.

Also...

Veterans Day   
Many people confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Do you know the difference?

Memorial Day is a day for remembering and honoring those who died serving their country.

On a Veterans Day we thank and honor those who served in the military. Veterans Day is observed on November 11th of each year. This day used to be called Armistice Day.

Serving since 1987.

RicL

The federal definition of a "Veteran" depends entirely on the section of code within which the definition lies. There are some definitions that only require active military or reserve service and yet others that require service during war. An example of the differences is: To receive a VA Home loan you had to have served 90 days in WWI, WWII, the Korean War, or the Vietnam War yet the requirements for veteran's preference in employment are less strict in some regards.

By NY State Law (ยง 350. Definitions)

The term "veteran" means a person, male or female, resident of this
  state, who has served in the active military or  naval  service  of  the
  United  States  during  a war in which the United States engaged and who
  has been released from  such  service  otherwise  than  by  dishonorable
  discharge, or who has been furloughed to the reserve.

The problem with federal law is that every time a veteran's benefit was added there were differing requirements added. Thus, there are likely hundreds of differing and even contradicting definitions of "Veteran" in the US Code.

In other words.. it's about as clear as mud.

Edited to add: This is one of the many many reasons that some veterans end up feeling jaded and ticked off at the federal government, nothing is standardized and equal. While they may be a disabled vet and qualify for some services, they may be denied others based on where their injury took place and whether it was really a declared "war".

Eclipse

Quote from: AirAux on November 10, 2009, 02:53:49 PM
Unfortunately, Stonewall edited his post because I was going to get in line with him..  Now, can someone lay out a good definition of veteran? 

Wiki Answers says:

A veteran (from Latin vetus, meaning "old") is a person who is experienced in a particular area, and is particularly used in Russia and the United States to refer to people with experience in the armed forces or law enforcement.
The most common usage is for former armed services personnel. A veteran is one who has served in the armed forces, but usually not to someone who had a dishonorable discharge. It is especially applied to those who served for an entire career, usually of 20 years or more, but may be applied for someone who has only served one tour of duty.

A common misconception is that one had to have either been in combat and/or has retired from active duty to be called a military veteran. Because of this widely held misconception, women have often been excluded from this equation. Each state (of the United States) sets specific criteria for state-specific veterans benefits. For federal medical benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) hospitals, prior to Sept. 7, 1980 the veteran must have served at least 180 days of active duty, after the above-mentioned date, the veteran must have served at least 24 months. However, if the veteran was medically discharged and receives a VA service-connected disability stipend, the time limits are not applicable.

A quick look around the Google-sphere shows 180 days to be the generally accepted definition for most state benefits.

Each state has criteria for combat-veteran status in regards to license plates and other benefits.

With the arguable exception of the few living members who may have participated in WWII coastal combat, CAP members, by simple status of their membership only, do not fall into that category.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

I'd ask that next year they include uniformed auxiliary in that list and I'd point out that while PHS is a uniformed service as is NOAA Corp, they are not military and thus are not veterans any more than we are.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Airrace

I would take the time to educate them on what CAP is all about and maybe next year they will include CAP on there list.

Short Field

Quote from: Airrace on November 10, 2009, 04:59:13 PM
I would take the time to educate them on what CAP is all about and maybe next year they will include CAP on there list.

Our cadets could sure use a day off from school in honor of their CAP service.   ;D 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Stonewall

FWIW...

I am a veteran and work in the private sector.  I was called by a friend who is not a veteran and works for the US Government.  He asked if I wanted to see a movie.

Puzzled, I explained that I have to work tomorrow and asked what gives.  He was puzzled why I didn't have Veterans Day off.

I am a veteran who continues to serve in the National Guard and have even been deployed yet I have to work.  Thankfully so I might add.  Yet he would complain if he didn't have the day off, as if he deserves it.
Serving since 1987.

Cecil DP

Quote from: Short Field on November 10, 2009, 05:36:00 PM

Our cadets could sure use a day off from school in honor of their CAP service.   ;D

It's a Federal Holiday, They do get the day off.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

SarDragon

Not necessarily. There are some locales that juggle the holidays to give different days off than the fed holidays.

WIWOAD, in CA, my kids got off Statehood Day in Sept, instead of Columbus Day in Oct. It made the child care situation interesting.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JK657

Its not Volunteer Day, its Veteran's Day. If you are looking for a day to receive recognition for your CAP service I suggest Patriot's Day (9/11). On that day we recognize everyone who serves our great country in many different capacities.  Veterans Day should be to honor those who served our country in the military. To add CAP to that list because you want the day off dishonors the very people we are supposed to be celebrating.

RiverAux

Quote from: Smoothice on November 10, 2009, 01:20:05 PM
do you think that we as CAP members would deserve a holiday??
Nope. 

I'm all for CAP leave laws and the like, but Veterans Day is VETERANS day. 

If for some reason they were to offer (without your prompting) to let you off because of your CAP service, I would politely refuse and ask that you consider giving you a day off for a CAP mission at some point in the future....