Anyone attend the National Staff College?

Started by ironputts, June 23, 2011, 07:55:16 PM

ironputts

Anyone attending the National Staff College at Maxwell AFB? October 15-22, 2011?
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ironputts

Am getting info on transportation and hotel accomodations. Never been to Maxwell. Spent many months at Ft Rucker. Have you been to Maxwell or the area?

BillB

Normally National Staff College atendees are housed in the BOQ. Think it's $26 a night. Almost anything you need is on Maxwell. Officers Mess facility has great food.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Persona non grata

D36.00 -39.00 Air Force Inns.  The year I went we got lucky and got to stay in the OTS dorms and pay a small deposit for bedding. DFAC Food is ok(Cheap), I went to the food court a couple of times. To save time I ate at the OTS Xchange ,they had pre-made sandwichs. It is walking distance from the SOS building.  By the way when Bill went, they were still building the base ;D

:clap: cool story bro........
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Al Sayre

I went last year.  We stayed in a hotel about 10 miles from the base, since they couldn't house us all on base.  It was actually pretty nice, with a good breakfast included in the room price.  The school was well worth it, and I highly encourage everyone that can, to attend.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

jimmydeanno

Yeah, I wouldn't start making hotel reservations, as they will have everyone stay at the same location.  Transportation at the college is in the form of CAP vans that each seminar can use.  Some people rent cars for the week because they want to do stuff after class.

Plane tickets to MGM are kind of pricey because it's a pretty small airport, but it's 10 minutes from the base and is easy to get in and out of.  ATL is the next closest hub and is cheaper to fly into, but you're about 2.5 hours from Maxwell.  You'd have to get a car and drive.

As we get closer to the actual date, you'll get more detailed information about where you're staying and which airports are being supported for transportation via CAP corporate vehicles. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ironputts

Thanks for the info! For those last year, what was the schedule? How much downltime and when? I was already told we will all stay in the same hotel. I was told we will get transport from the airport to the hotel. Then from the hotel to the base. I am easy going but like to hear experiences and the usual "Dont do this" or "Dont bring this" would be beneficial. It has been 17 years since I did RSC so I figured what the heck and give this a shot! I think I will enjoy to hear all the stories of CAP around the country like "CAPTALK" but in person!

Al Sayre

Up around 06:30, vans to base around 0730, class started at 0800, wrap around 1700.  Evenings are yours unless working on class project-that will vary by group.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

peter rabbit

QuotePlane tickets to MGM are kind of pricey because it's a pretty small airport, but it's 10 minutes from the base and is easy to get in and out of.  ATL is the next closest hub and is cheaper to fly into, but you're about 2.5 hours from Maxwell.  You'd have to get a car and drive.

Actually, if you don't want to fly into MGM, you can get better deals flying into BHM than ATL since Southwest flies to BHM. Its about an hour and a half drive to Maxwell, about the time you'd spend waiting in ATL to connect to an MGM flight. Still, you'd have to rent a car, which you might not need if you fly into MGM.

AlphaSigOU

Coming to NSC all the way from out here in the middle of the Pacific Ocean! (Kwajalein, Marshall Islands.) (I might bring a presentation on Kwajalein that could be shown after class hours - gotta ask 'em if they can squeeze the time in.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ironputts

Major Corway, looking forward to your presentation! I have many stories of Guam and the islands of the Philippines I can share with you too!

ironputts

Received my confirmation to attend NSC 2011. Look forward seeing all others attending!

AlphaSigOU

Confirmed, plane tickets paid... now to fight off nearly two months of rock fever! I'll be there... aloha!
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DrJbdm

Why the change to off base billeting? Is this a temporary measure or are we pretty much kicked off base for the long term?

Until or unless we get back on base at the VOQ, I do not see myself attending. The cost would be way over a $1000 once you factor in air fare, hotel, tuition and food. Airfare from Texas, around $400 give or take, hotel for 7 days, at least $700, tuition $200, food at least $100 bare minimum.

Still, I would love to attend but not at that price.

a2capt

Well, breakfast is included in the hotel room cost, it's about 40% more if you take a single room, vs. even a little cheaper than the average VOQ rate if you do it double.

The materials for sent thus far still talk about having an MSA, having access to the messing facility.. that the classes are held on base..

So all I can figure is they're going to be ferrying us, or issuing vans, or something..  and it's about 10 miles on I-85 to Maxwell.

Or they didn't text edit enough, and left stuff in from last years handouts, still .. Either way, we'll find out soon enough.

The room costs a bit more, but if the schedule is anything like RSC, I'd opt for a single anyway, just because when the day is done, it's done.

AlphaSigOU

For those of us going to NSC, here's some useful information I researched:

Courtyard by Marriott - official NSC lodging:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mgmch-courtyard-montgomery/

KMGM (Montgomery Regional Airport - Dannelly Field) airport information:
http://iflymontgomery.com/us/en/index.php

Maxwell AFB MWR eats and entertainment:
http://www.42fss.us/

Maxwell AFB AAFES info:
http://www.shopmyexchange.com/ExchangeLocations/MaxwellAFBStore.htm

The MSA will definitely be useful, since most of the rank-and file workers on base probably have no clue about CAP and what to do with us (even though our national headquarters are located there). The classes are supposedly held in the Squadron Officer College and probably other classrooms/locations on the base.

I'm asking for permission from NSC staff if I could do a presentation on Kwajalein; if they OK it it'll probably be after school hours and after any after-hours seminar time and probably at the hotel. And I'll bring some Kwaj 'schwag' along. (Along with my Kwajalein BDUs (beach dress utilities) - if the weather ain't too chilly!)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

flyboy53

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 21, 2011, 01:22:09 AM
For those of us going to NSC, here's some useful information I researched:

Courtyard by Marriott - official NSC lodging:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mgmch-courtyard-montgomery/

KMGM (Montgomery Regional Airport - Dannelly Field) airport information:
http://iflymontgomery.com/us/en/index.php

Maxwell AFB MWR eats and entertainment:
http://www.42fss.us/

Maxwell AFB AAFES info:
http://www.shopmyexchange.com/ExchangeLocations/MaxwellAFBStore.htm

The MSA will definitely be useful, since most of the rank-and file workers on base probably have no clue about CAP and what to do with us (even though our national headquarters are located there). The classes are supposedly held in the Squadron Officer College and probably other classrooms/locations on the base.

I'm asking for permission from NSC staff if I could do a presentation on Kwajalein; if they OK it it'll probably be after school hours and after any after-hours seminar time and probably at the hotel. And I'll bring some Kwaj 'schwag' along. (Along with my Kwajalein BDUs (beach dress utilities) - if the weather ain't too chilly!)

Trust me, that's one base where the personnel know exactly who we are.

You will start running into classmates on the airliner going into Montgomery. There will be CAP transportation to the airport and back and throughout the week.

Classes will be held at SOS. You will be allowed to use things like the snack bar and there is a bookshelf full of AU stuff that's free for the taking. You will also be able to order things from the AU Bookstore every day that you're there and have it mailed to your home.

My class got to stay at OTS barracks for free.

There are two BXs. The main one is full service. Near the SOS is a troop exchange with any uniform item you want. Don't be surprised when you see CAP challenge coins or other things.

Be at your absolute best behavior. Be prepared to render the appropriate military courtesies and don't make an example of your self, especially when you're eating at the military dining hall.

As for after hours, I walked a lot, looking at airplanes....that is when I wasn't working on the seminar project.

All in all, it was the most rewarding CAP professional development experience I ever had...and two years aferward, some members of my seminar group and other classmates are still in regular contact. Our seminar leader -- the best there was -- is now a wing commander.

You won't regret it.

a2capt

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 21, 2011, 01:22:09 AMit'll probably be after school hours and after any after-hours seminar time and probably at the hotel.
..and they probably won't care at that point, except you'd want to get it announced somehow so people don't hit the hay upon returning.. :)

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: DrJbdm on August 20, 2011, 07:11:47 PM
Why the change to off base billeting? Is this a temporary measure or are we pretty much kicked off base for the long term?

Until or unless we get back on base at the VOQ, I do not see myself attending. The cost would be way over a $1000 once you factor in air fare, hotel, tuition and food. Airfare from Texas, around $400 give or take, hotel for 7 days, at least $700, tuition $200, food at least $100 bare minimum.

Still, I would love to attend but not at that price.

Most of the VOQs/BOQs on base are occupied by students attending the in-residence Air University PME schools (Air and Space Basic Course, Squadron Officer School, Air Command and Staff College and Air War College). We're bottom-feeders in the priority list for on-base lodging.

Cost me some change from Kwajalein, but I took advantage of my annual leave airfare bonus and worked NSC attendance around my leave. I probably won't have an opportunity like this for a long time.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DrJbdm

From my experience at the Inspector General College / RSC that any in-residence academic courses that CAP can create and successfully put on and be academically challenging is a great thing. I do plan on attending NSC at some point, but I still have until next summer before I become eligible. Hopefully by that time they have the billeting issues worked out.

I know there are options to share a room and make the cost a little smaller, but from my experience, it is nice to have a little ME-Space......a place to come back to and be away.

I would be interested in hearing your experiences from NSC, for instance have they been able to have college credit, either undergrad or graduate level credit granted for the program? What was the academics like? challenging yet worthwhile learning? Are the academics geared at the post bachelorate level or the post high school level? What kind of field experiences did you get to attend as a class or was it pretty much all class room?

I will look at possibly attending the program next year, although it would have been nice to go this year and touch base with you again Major Corway, even if ya did go to OU.......Go Horns!! LOL.