Color Guard to Honor Guard

Started by Color Guard Rifleman, November 02, 2018, 06:37:39 PM

Color Guard Rifleman

I am next in line to be Color Guard Commander, I am thinking of converting our Color Guard to a full Honor guard. What actions would you recommend that I take?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

Consider attending the next HGA in your region.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P052_008_B38750453C56C.pdf

Also:
CAPP 52-08, Page 5
"1.2. Authority. Wing commanders determine the scope of Unit Honor Guards within their wings. As
a result, squadrons wishing to start a Unit Honor Guard need the wing commander's approval. Wing and
region commanders may elect to have members of different Unit Honor Guards form a wing or region
Honor Guard as deemed necessary by the appropriate commander. "

"That Others May Zoom"

Color Guard Rifleman

Quote from: Eclipse on November 02, 2018, 07:05:18 PM
Consider attending the next HGA in your region.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P052_008_B38750453C56C.pdf

Also:
CAPP 52-08, Page 5
"1.2. Authority. Wing commanders determine the scope of Unit Honor Guards within their wings. As
a result, squadrons wishing to start a Unit Honor Guard need the wing commander's approval. Wing and
region commanders may elect to have members of different Unit Honor Guards form a wing or region
Honor Guard as deemed necessary by the appropriate commander. "

How would one get the Wing Commander's approval? A skill evaluation?
C/SMSgt Murphy Killeen, CAP
2019 MIWG Encampment Squadron 2 First Sergeant
Recruiting NCO

See the source image

Eclipse

You would discuss the idea and your plan with your Commander or Deputy Commander,
who will likely ask you to formalize the idea and plan for him to then submit to Wing.

If your Wing has groups, the Group CC will also need to be included and may have an opinion.

There's no skill evaluation, per se, but Wing CC's take HGs very seriously as they are usually
utilized at solemn events that require both skill and attitude.

As I mentioned before, your best bet is to learn to be a good CG commander, maybe participate in the
NCC, and then look to the next HGA if it really has your interest.

None of the above precludes you from asking for CC's permission to work together in learning the
various Honor Guard skills to see if you even like it and have the aptitude.  Especially in the beginning,
this will take a fair amount of time in learning and practicing, especially if you don't have a
member, senior or cadet, who has been to an HGA or served on one.

I had a situation where I was asked to authorize an an HG, and the first thing they did was
present me with a budget for scarves, cords, gloves and taps for their shoes.  I suggested they
needed to actually get 4 participants, and spend some time learning hos it was done.
That lasted about 2 weeks.

"That Others May Zoom"