Acceptable drill rifles

Started by USAFAcadet2018, May 01, 2014, 07:22:18 PM

a2capt

In my experience .. a 12 year old can do quite well with a de-milled 1903 :)

lordmonar

Six of one....half dozen of the other.

Use what works, use what looks good.

Personally.....my next color guard....I'm thinking de-milled Air Soft M-9 pistols.   :)

And yes....there is a manual of arms for the M-9  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2014, 01:45:55 AM
^ CAP regs do not allow parade rifles to be capable of any shooting any projectile.
At minimum you'd need to remove the entirely of the firing mechanism.

Per 52-16:
2-11. Weapons. There will be no firearms, air guns, paint guns or any devices that could be used as weapons at cadet activities. The only exceptions to this policy are:
a. Deactivated Firearms. Cadets may use facsimile or deactivated firearms only as part of an honor guard or color guard. A deactivated  is one that will prevent the insertion of ammunition or the firing of a weapon. A facsimile is a copy that is not capable of firing ammunition.

That doesn't really address the issue. By definition, Airsoft weapons are not firearms (as in, where's the "fire" part, ie the stuff that ignites?) and they shoot projectiles, not ammunition.  (I hate it when they try to write a reg so tightly that it ends up loosened).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: a2capt on May 20, 2014, 02:29:30 PM
In my experience .. a 12 year old can do quite well with a de-milled 1903 :)

In my experience, "a" 12 year old might, but the "average" 12 year old is another story. The weight of a de-milled 03, especially if the barrel is plugged, could be 10% of their body weight. And that's on a body that usually is only starting to develop upper body strength.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

lordmonar

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on May 21, 2014, 06:14:55 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2014, 01:45:55 AM
^ CAP regs do not allow parade rifles to be capable of any shooting any projectile.
At minimum you'd need to remove the entirely of the firing mechanism.

Per 52-16:
2-11. Weapons. There will be no firearms, air guns, paint guns or any devices that could be used as weapons at cadet activities. The only exceptions to this policy are:
a. Deactivated Firearms. Cadets may use facsimile or deactivated firearms only as part of an honor guard or color guard. A deactivated  is one that will prevent the insertion of ammunition or the firing of a weapon. A facsimile is a copy that is not capable of firing ammunition.

That doesn't really address the issue. By definition, Airsoft weapons are not firearms (as in, where's the "fire" part, ie the stuff that ignites?) and they shoot projectiles, not ammunition.  (I hate it when they try to write a reg so tightly that it ends up loosened).
I'm not a Wing DCP or higher....but in my interpretation of the reg.....I would say....can you put "ammo" into that thing and "shoot" it?     Then it is not "deactivated" as is the intent of the regulation.

Panzerbjorn

Take the inner barrel out, remove the motor and battery connections, you've de-miled it.  Period.  The end.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Brad

Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2014, 01:30:05 PMIn >ALL< cases, the best bet is to go with the lightest, cheapest, most easy to replace option.

http://www.paradestore.com/index.php/our-products/replica-rifles/replica-1903-springfield-parade-rifle.html

Nobody should have a problem with those. $40 per and 2.3 lbs. They're like styrofoam / balsa wood compared to others I've seen.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

lordmonar

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on May 22, 2014, 12:09:48 AM
Take the inner barrel out, remove the motor and battery connections, you've de-miled it.  Period.  The end.
yep...sounds good to me.  Heck....just removing the battery would suit me.

a2capt

Except that someone could easily just shove in a battery and some "ammo" and be nefarious.

lordmonar

Quote from: a2capt on May 22, 2014, 04:18:39 AM
Except that someone could easily just shove in a battery and some "ammo" and be nefarious.
Okay.....same could be said for "de-milled" M-1....by 52-16

Quote2-11. Weapons. There will be no firearms, air guns, paint guns or any devices that could be used as weapons at cadet activities. The only exceptions to this policy are:

So...I de-mil an M-1 or M-1906 by removing the firing pin.....can't be fired.....but someone nefarious may bring their own.....at that point he gets a 2b.

So....M-14 airsoft gun with the batteries removed.....cannot be fired. so it is deactivated.  Now you can go the extra mile and weld the firing pin well...or weld a block of metal into the breech....but the reg does not require it.   It either cannot accept ammunition...i.e. a breech weld....or it cannot fire if loaded with ammunition...i.e. a removed/welded firing pin.

For an any other type of fire-arm like device....like bb-guns or airsoft guns....they either cannot "chamber ammo" or they cannot "fire" said ammo if loaded.

Bottom line.....you are not going to put your eye out (or anyone else's) with that thing. 

(who can tell me the source of that paraphrase?  :) )

Panache

Quote from: lordmonar on May 22, 2014, 04:44:53 AM

Bottom line.....you are not going to put your eye out (or anyone else's) with that thing. 

(who can tell me the source of that paraphrase?  :) )

lordmonar

Ohhhhhhh.....me likey.  :)  :) :) :) :) 8)

Slim

Quote from: Brad on May 22, 2014, 03:41:46 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2014, 01:30:05 PMIn >ALL< cases, the best bet is to go with the lightest, cheapest, most easy to replace option.

http://www.paradestore.com/index.php/our-products/replica-rifles/replica-1903-springfield-parade-rifle.html

Nobody should have a problem with those. $40 per and 2.3 lbs. They're like styrofoam / balsa wood compared to others I've seen.

Absolute garbage.  My squadron bought two of these a few months ago.  Three or four practice sessions and one performance, and they are falling apart.  The wood screws that hold the "action" to the stock have stripped the holes resulting in actions that are a sneeze away from falling out.  Also, the "operating handles" have separated themselves from the back of the "bolts", dumping the handle, spring, and fake bullet out the back end of them. 

And, of course, Glendale's has a no return policy on rifles, even if the workmanship is shoddy at best.

Granted, I've got fixes for them.   A few minutes with a drill and some wood and self-tapping screws and I think I can get them fixed.  But, for something that's been out of the box a total of five times, I shouldn't have to.

Too bad demilled Garands are beyond the budget.  I'd love to lay hands on a couple M-16 rubber ducks without magazines in the wells. 

Slim

sarmed1

collectors armory has replica M1 garands and carbines for around $235-250, full size and weight vs wood and metal air soft in the $400 range (m14) .....On the cheap, winchester makes a m14 styled CO2 rifle, less weight (4.4 lbs) plastic of course. $123 at the Walmart.

MK

Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel