Main Menu

Dual sign-in?

Started by Holding Pattern, March 20, 2018, 09:50:24 PM

Holding Pattern

When a person who is a federal, State, Local, Tribal, or Territorial agency official is also a CAP member, is there any guidance on when they should and should not be signing in under both missions (State webeoc and WMIRS as an example)?

EMT-83

What seat at the table are they occupying?

Eclipse

You're either in a CAP uniform, or the "other" uniform - you can't be both.

"That Others May Zoom"

N6RVT

Quote from: Mordecai on March 20, 2018, 09:50:24 PM
When a person who is a federal, State, Local, Tribal, or Territorial agency official is also a CAP member, is there any guidance on when they should and should not be signing in under both missions (State webeoc and WMIRS as an example)?

They sign in once, have one status and one chain of command.  You cannot be two people responding to two chains of command and the insurance even gets screwed up.  Status as an agency official almost certainly would take precedence

Holding Pattern

OK, so for example in WA state where in my county the Sheriff has his own training program and different volunteer SAR teams that report to the appointed county SAR guy, we get issued an ID number to each member after completing the mandatory county course.

How would call-up, deployment, and check-in ideally be handled under this circumstance?

For those who want to read the governing code that is relevant:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=118-04

(I realize this departs slightly from my topic of officials participating.)

Eclipse

CAP members always report and sign in to a CAP mission through a CAP IC.  There may be
a dotted operational line from a larger scope down to CAP, but the above never changes.

Likewise, non-members do not report to CAP's chain of command.  Either there's a larger scope that
CAP is a part of, and a similar dotted line to non-CAP resources for tactical control, but
non-members do not sign into or participate in CAP missions unless their agency of record
is also approved and involved.

Essentially, even though to an outside observer it might look like CAP is intertwined with
other agencies, it's really next to others.

You can't be both simultaneously, and your CAP duties end with the limits of your CAP quals,
not something from an outside agency.

If you're a slick sleeve GES, but a 42nd level Malfurion Stormrage with the county SAR council,
you're still limited to observing with CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brad

The county SAR team that the Sheriff oversees simply goes back to unified command within ICS, and their chosen implementation of it being within the county sheriff office. The various agencies come under the unified command of the SAR team leader for the purpose of ICS, however if you are there as a CAP member, you would sign in on their roster for their documentation and tracking purposes as a CAP member, as well as signing in under WMIRS for CAP documentation if a mission exists in WMIRS to compliment it, as that is the hat you are wearing. You may be Johnny (or Roy) Firefighter listed on their roster too, but right now you're in your CAP role.

Personal example: I work for the state with an emergency service agency, I am a member of my state guard, and also CAP. We had an alternate EOC exercise a few weeks back. I could have potentially participated in any of those capacities, however I chose one, and maintained consistency in representation and acting within the scope of my role within that organization.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Luis R. Ramos

If you have not been called by your sheriff or whomever is in charge of the state office you work for, you can sign with CAP if it has been tasked with a mission number. If the sheriff calls you to say you are activated, you sign off CAP.

Simple.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer