Main Menu

Grace is Gone

Started by Eclipse, January 25, 2009, 04:57:34 PM

Eclipse

Last night my wife and I finally got to watch "Grace Is Gone" an emotional story of a man dealing with the death of his Army wife in Iraq and how he will bring himself to tell his two daughters.

While not based on a specific true story, John Cusak consulted with a Marine who had lost his wife due to an illness she contracted while aboard ship, and certainly the emotional upheaval rang true for me, and I'm sure would hold even more meaning for those of you with spouses and SO's currently serving in the military.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvdU-rnpS9w

Full disclosure:  I'd been looking forward to this as it was filmed in an around my hometown, including the church scene near the end of the film.  The CAP connection?  The scenes of the swimming pool and the older daughter smoking with the boy outside the hotel were filmed where the last GLR Region conference was held.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

I thought that this film was excellent.  My wife had tears in her eyes several times, and there were a few points where even I got a little emotional.

A few others that I know who have seen it said the movie felt a little "off" because it's a little choppy, the audio is slightly muted - but I like that they did this.  It helps the audience gain a better understanding of John C's emotional state.

I would recommend that people watch this - but have a box of tissues handy.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill