Main Menu

Bye bye NCOs???

Started by MacGruff, March 12, 2014, 04:58:26 PM

Stonewall

Quote from: pierson777 on March 12, 2014, 11:29:34 PMHe wanted to convince everyone that there would be a mass exodus of CAP NCOs.  I doubt it.  Are there any CAP NCOs here on CAPtalk that can chime in with their thoughts?

Define "mass".  There are roughly 80 NCOs in CAP and roughly 34,000 senior members in CAP.  That's what, 0.2%?

Serving since 1987.

SunDog

Maybe he really doesn't like the insignia, or the proposed NCO program. As in, truly hates it. A lot of conclusions get drawn here on scant evidence. Deductive reasoning bias, maybe.

Maybe it's enough that the idea is even being floated, along with that mickey mouse insignia, that put him over the "leave town" threshold. "Get me out of this chicken outfit" kind of thing.

Might be a flounce. . .might not. Shake his hand, thank him for his service, wish him luck. Not like he's renouncing his citizenship or doing number two n the wing king's desk.

SunDog

Quote from: Stonewall on March 12, 2014, 11:52:31 PM
Quote from: pierson777 on March 12, 2014, 11:29:34 PMHe wanted to convince everyone that there would be a mass exodus of CAP NCOs.  I doubt it.  Are there any CAP NCOs here on CAPtalk that can chime in with their thoughts?

Define "mass".  There are roughly 80 NCOs in CAP and roughly 34,000 senior members in CAP.  That's what, 0.2%?
Anybody know how many are safety current, like a monthly average? Half? More than half? Less?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SunDog on March 12, 2014, 11:53:41 PM
Maybe he really doesn't like the insignia, or the proposed NCO program. As in, truly hates it. A lot of conclusions get drawn here on scant evidence. Deductive reasoning bias, maybe.

Maybe it's enough that the idea is even being floated, along with that mickey mouse insignia, that put him over the "leave town" threshold. "Get me out of this chicken outfit" kind of thing.

Might be a flounce. . .might not. Shake his hand, thank him for his service, wish him luck. Not like he's renouncing his citizenship or doing number two n the wing king's desk.

Please...the guy assumed he'd have to "Resign and start over as a SMWOG" if he was to become an officer.

pierson777

What I said was "mass exodus of CAP NCOs," not mass exodus of senior members.  In this context I would describe the word "mass" as a majority of, which would be more than half.  I have no idea how many CAP NCOs there are.  If there are indeed roughly 80 NCOs in CAP, then roughly 40 would constitute a mass exodus or a majority of.  While that would only be 0.2% of senior members, it would be 50% of CAP NCOs.

LSThiker

Sounds like the NCO program was an excuse.  However, not knowing the person nor any details of how active he was, this is just a guess.  I am curious if he did not like the fact that now non-military can become CAP NCOs?

pierson777

Quote from: LSThiker on March 13, 2014, 02:41:34 AM
I am curious if he did not like the fact that now non-military can become CAP NCOs?

What are you talking about?  Perhaps I missed a publication or draft or something.  I haven't seen anything regarding the future CAP NCO program.  I've not heard or seen anything about NCO grade for non-military.  Is this just speculation.  Please cite what you are referring to so that I may learn more on this topic.  Thank you.

RiverAux

check one of the other NCO threads.  There were official things discussing making non-prior service eligible for NCO status in the future. 

Panache

Quote from: RiverAux on March 12, 2014, 09:52:00 PM
After all, CAP officers don't have little "CAP" devices stuck on them (like the CG Aux has an "A" on theirs), so why should the NCO insignia be different?

SunDog

Quote from: usafaux2004 on March 13, 2014, 02:22:11 AM
Please...the guy assumed he'd have to "Resign and start over as a SMWOG" if he was to become an officer.

I was zeroing in on the "Not gonna wear that *#%^*#}"

Sounds like he brings a lot - maybe he'll buy in to the officer thing, and they'll shove the paper around to keep him.

PaulR

Just how bad looking are these new patch insignia?

PHall

Quote from: PaulR on March 13, 2014, 03:46:22 AM

Bad.  :o

Panache

Quote from: PHall on March 13, 2014, 04:12:05 AM
Quote from: PaulR on March 13, 2014, 03:46:22 AM

Bad.  :o

There have been some better designs put forth by various sources, but I think we all know that since this is probably the design that Ma Blue wants, this is the design that we'll get.

lordmonar

Quote from: Stonewall on March 12, 2014, 09:57:17 PM
If tomorrow they told me they were doing away with officer ranks and everyone had to start over from scratch as airmen, I'd continue mission as if nothing changed.

I am who I am, regardless of military or CAP rank.
What!  You mean you don't spend all your hard earn time and money so you can wear a spiffy suit and sport some cool rank?   
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: pierson777 on March 12, 2014, 11:29:34 PM
What exactly offends him so much?  Is it the new NCO program itself?  We don't know anything about it yet.  Has he seen it already?  Is it the proposed NCO grade insignia ("CAP" letters & three bladed prop)?  If he quits over a grade insignia, that sends a poor message to the cadets.  Yet you say he is committed to the cadet program!!??

This was a move at garnering attention.  He probably got the response that he wanted.  If wants to stay in CAP, then he will stay in for all the right reasons.  I suspect he wants to quit for whatever reason, and was looking for an "out" and he chose this.  The other response that he may be looking for is to have everyone beg him stay.

I think announcing his intentions in this manner displayed poor etiquette and was disrespectful to the commander.  He should have discussed it privately beforehand.  I suspect he is probably in the minority with his thoughts on the new NCO program and grade insignia.  He wanted to convince everyone that there would be a mass exodus of CAP NCOs.  I doubt it.  Are there any CAP NCOs here on CAPtalk that can chime in with their thoughts?

I'm one of the 80+.......he can go.

Thanks for playing.

a)  Ain't nothing set in stone yet as far as i know.
b)  Any NCO who makes this sort of decision based on this level of information...is probably a liablity in the long run anyway.
c)  I'm not in it for the uniform.
d)  It's just CAP.

lordmonar

Quote from: pierson777 on March 13, 2014, 02:32:46 AM

What I said was "mass exodus of CAP NCOs," not mass exodus of senior members.  In this context I would describe the word "mass" as a majority of, which would be more than half.  I have no idea how many CAP NCOs there are.  If there are indeed roughly 80 NCOs in CAP, then roughly 40 would constitute a mass exodus or a majority of.  While that would only be 0.2% of senior members, it would be 50% of CAP NCOs.
I don't think that 40 people spread out over 51 wings could be considered a "mass" anything.   

Panache

Quote from: lordmonar on March 13, 2014, 04:28:41 AM
I'm one of the 80+.......he can go.

Thanks for playing.

a)  Ain't nothing set in stone yet as far as i know.
b)  Any NCO who makes this sort of decision based on this level of information...is probably a liablity in the long run anyway.
c)  I'm not in it for the uniform.
d)  It's just CAP.

Well, he could always transfer to officer status and troll for salutes at the PX with the rest of us.

(Disclaimer for the humor impaired or impressionable airmen: this is a joke.)

a2capt

So, what is wrong with some metal added to add the difference, and allow those who are NCO's to utilize the same uniform, rather than now having to get something separate sewn on.. and something else that the Big V can make with apathy towards craftsmanship.

The biggest issue I have with them is the ones with no stripes on the top look -hideous- with that blue field on top. The ones being 'tested' by CMSgt Walpus with just the CAP in the middle at least looked the same outline wise.

lordmonar

Quote from: pierson777 on March 13, 2014, 03:19:50 AM
Quote from: LSThiker on March 13, 2014, 02:41:34 AM
I am curious if he did not like the fact that now non-military can become CAP NCOs?

What are you talking about?  Perhaps I missed a publication or draft or something.  I haven't seen anything regarding the future CAP NCO program.  I've not heard or seen anything about NCO grade for non-military.  Is this just speculation.  Please cite what you are referring to so that I may learn more on this topic.  Thank you.
I've seen the MOU signed by the USAF.   The long term goals is to in fact open the NCO ranks to non-prior service members.
As far as I know.....it is just that......a long term goal.  No training plan, no PD system, just a strategic plan of where they want to take the NCO program.

I can't find my copy of it right now....I'll find it and share when I get a chance.

Flying Pig

By tomorrow this will be a 26 page uniform discussion!  :)