HQ National Warning Letter to Senior Member "Wanna Bees" Trolling for Salutes

Started by RADIOMAN015, February 15, 2011, 03:00:42 AM

FW

Awwww, this stuff is Basic Level 1 information.  But then again,  I remember a former national commander riding around Maxwell in his "command vehicle" equipped with a two star plate placed on the front.

Anything's possible these days (sheeesh) ::)

PHall

Guys, the "incident" in question was reported on the AF Times.com site, in the forum section.
It's had many, many visitors and a whole bunch of comments.
The vast majority did not speak well of CAP.

Major Carrales

I have often "surfed" other forums and read what they had to say about us, pot shots taken, photos taken out of context and all sorts of other stuff.  I've also seen CAP personnel go on there and try to "defend the faith" against Soldiers, Sailors, Sailors and Airmen who all play the "active duty" card.

All of these people are usually anonymous and it gets pretty nasty until some active duty/retired fellow with their name on their post and some clout points out the "apples and oranges" axiom and shut it down.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Persona non grata

Air Force Times.............for the record is not endorsed by the USAF and is a private(non goverment) publication. I can make up stories all day and post them on the net, just saying ::)
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Pylon

Yes, this is a crazy occurrence that requires a letter from the highest members of our volunteer organization.   It makes the entire organization look badly because of this internet thread. 

Because nobody has ever posted a thread recounting/alleging an Air Force airman has done something less than favorable.  If there ever were such a thread, I would fully expect a public letter to the entire Air Force from the CSAF explaining that an Airman -- possibly even maybe an NCO -- one day, maybe did something wrong (though nobody can confirm it) but the story was once told on an internet forum.  Therefore, if an internet thread talked about a supposed occurrence, it must be a rampant problem throughout the Air Force and worthy of addressing by the CSAF.   Glad CAP also follows suit with common Air Force practice.  Oh wait...
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

tdepp

I hope those grousing about the letter don't endorse CAP members trolling for salutes from our active service colleagues.  I took the letter as a reminder that CAP members don't do that sort of thing and our regulations expressly prohibit it.  So, what's the problem?
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

Major Lord

Quote from: PHall on February 15, 2011, 04:06:35 AM
Guys, the "incident" in question was reported on the AF Times.com site, in the forum section.
It's had many, many visitors and a whole bunch of comments.
The vast majority did not speak well of CAP.

An excellent example of a logical fallacy: Argumentum ad populum a bunch of guys on a bulletin board don't like CAP. This many anonymous people can't possibly be wrong, can they? Now I would be the last one to deny that CAP has a lot of members who should be medicated before being allowed to leave the house, but a dogpile in a chatroom proves nothing other than the ill will of the posters, who are by nature self-selecting.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Persona non grata

Here you go................

"Have you ever had a CAP Major demand you salute them?
This just happened to me today. Usually I'm fine with these CAP officers and I do salute them sometimes out of respect but I didn't really notice her as I walked by. She stops me and says "Do you see this oak leaf? I am a major with the Air Force Auxiliary. You need to salute me". She had a real pissy attitude when she said this to me. I told her politely that she is till a civilian and I don't have to salute her. She responded back "I am still with the Air Force which means you salute me." I pointed to my stripes and told her that this is a real rank and then pointed to her oak leaf and told her that it doesn't mean [mess] and she is still a civilian. She started to cuss me out and then I just walked away. This woman was a real [censored]. Maybe she was just having a bad day or maybe she thinks she really does outrank me. I don't know. Has this ever happened to you?"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Oh cripesallbloodymighty... :-[

This makes me want to crawl into the nearest crack in the runway of the nearest Air Force installation...

We have been pounding this into members' heads since the early '90s.  I had it so inculcated into me during Level I, SLS and CLC in 1993-94 that I almost reflexively want to tell military members who do salute me, "NO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THAT!"

If this happened the way the story states, the Major in question is not someone I want to be in the same organisation with.

For any Air Force personnel who may be reading this, I am truly sorry and embarrassed for CAP.

Don't be surprised if significant uniform changes come as a result of this...meaning: AF uniform only for cadets, grey/whites for the rest of us to "snap us back in line."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Major Carrales

Quote from: eaker.cadet on February 15, 2011, 04:26:20 AM
Here you go................

"Have you ever had a CAP Major demand you salute them?
This just happened to me today. Usually I'm fine with these CAP officers and I do salute them sometimes out of respect but I didn't really notice her as I walked by. She stops me and says "Do you see this oak leaf? I am a major with the Air Force Auxiliary. You need to salute me". She had a real pissy attitude when she said this to me. I told her politely that she is till a civilian and I don't have to salute her. She responded back "I am still with the Air Force which means you salute me." I pointed to my stripes and told her that this is a real rank and then pointed to her oak leaf and told her that it doesn't mean [mess] and she is still a civilian. She started to cuss me out and then I just walked away. This woman was a real [censored]. Maybe she was just having a bad day or maybe she thinks she really does outrank me. I don't know. Has this ever happened to you?"

It sounds "plausible," however, I think both parties are acting "unprofessionally" based on this.  That said, I also think this person is suffering from "FORUM COURAGE" and likely making is sound more "horrific" than it could have been.

Are USAF enlisted personnel expected to cuss out civilian women?  Use passable grammar?

In any case, the above is hearsay to some degree.   I think I would be pretty put out of someone insulted my CAP rank telling me it "don't mean [suspect our filter at work]?  I know I was when I was called out as a teacher as somehow being "less than valuable."

I don't think I would have replied to that or even have pointed out my rank in the manner the Major in question did.

If the above did happen, shame on all of them.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Persona non grata

1. Was this officially reported by the Airman via his  shop supervisor, first shirt

2. Is this fiction? ,who knows? 

Lets move on and call it a day, be professional and respectfull towards all.....botton line!!!!!!!!

NCRblues

Quote from: eaker.cadet on February 15, 2011, 04:41:29 AM
1. Was this officially reported by the Airman via his  shop supervisor, first shirt

2. Is this fiction? ,who knows? 

Lets move on and call it a day, be professional and respectfull towards all.....botton line!!!!!!!!

I doubt this happened. Most Airman (read 18-20 year olds with a temper still) cant walk away from a situation like that, and then Security Forces gets called in.

I really really don't think this happend....or IF it did it, was no where near the level he claims....

If it was at the BX or clothing sales, there are WAY to many officers, SNCO's, and even squadron commanders in and out ALL day long...

This is overblown on all ends...the airmans AND Cap's as well.....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Hill CAP

In 2005 my HGA flight got invited to the evening parade at Bolling AFB. I was a 1st Lt at the time and wearing the Grey/White combo with blazer. a AF SSgt saluted me and I returned it however this is not something that I expected.

Yes it was a nice courtesy but not something I would ever demand from a Active Duty member.

However I do know a retired Navy LtCdr who is a CAP Lt Col who has no issues with demanding a salute from the AD type
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

Major Carrales

Quote from: FLCAP 320 on February 15, 2011, 04:58:00 AM
In 2005 my HGA flight got invited to the evening parade at Bolling AFB. I was a 1st Lt at the time and wearing the Grey/White combo with blazer. a AF SSgt saluted me and I returned it however this is not something that I expected.

Yes it was a nice courtesy but not something I would ever demand from a Active Duty member.

However I do know a retired Navy LtCdr who is a CAP Lt Col who has no issues with demanding a salute from the AD type

Interesting?  Suppose a CAP Officer is also a USAF officer...like General Anderson had been Colonel when he was serving in the USAF prior to retirement and term as a Virginia State Delegate?  A gray area, however, back to the point...

I never expect to be saluted, but am keen to return a salute rendered smartly and sharply as a token of respect.   

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Lord

The issue of whether or not CAP members are entitled to render or return military salutes is well settled. We are. Let me quote from the letter: "These values represent a cultural commitment within CAP to practice basic honesty, to give of one's self for the betterment of humanity, to deliver top quality services, and to treat others fairly." I don't belive the letter reflects those values.

I think that General Courter has used this pernicious gossip to engage in a little reflexive CAP-Bashing. She might wish to review the "integrity" part of our Corporate values. Next I suppose that we will get a policy letter about Major Hassan with a warning not to commit murder on military bases, as it would look bad for CAP.....and we have all heard that one in every 1500 Spaatz cadets are murderers! It does not matter if its true or not, its the "seriousness of the charge" .

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Johnny Yuma

I only got through part of her letter before blood was shooting from my eyes and I was repeatedly beating my skull with my keyboard.

Whether or not the story in AF Times is fiction or not, I know as I've seen enough Walter Mitty types in this .org to believe it, from both prior service AND from those who've never served. They're usually best recognized as those who only show up at local meetings and are about worthless in any actual position in the unit and couldn't trust them to roll out on an ES mission without getting arrested.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

JK657

I say just take the National Commander's letter and give it its due regard then move on with the mission. If you were the major then shame on you, if you aren't then take it as a reminder and get back out there.

DrJbdm

I agree that this story as printed in the AF times is over blown, is it possible it happened? sure it is, we have all seen it. Part of our problem in CAP is our almost complete lack of recurrent training on such basic behaviors and absolutely no standards for becoming a CAP officer.

But sadly, higher standards, even AF standards wouldn't fix this problem, it simply goes straight to the core values of a person. It would be nice if we could have a true fire way of only accepting those for membership who hold the highest core values and maturity but sadly no such tests exists.

Elioron

Quote from: FLCAP 320 on February 15, 2011, 04:58:00 AM

Once the CAP uniform is on that is the uniform that counts.  He can require a salute all he wants if the Navy reactivates him, but as long as he's in a CAP uniform he needs to respect them.

It's always a good idea to be the more gracious.  Whether you are deserved a salute or not, getting nasty or demanding about it isn't the way to deal with it.  If a cadet doesn't salute me, rather than dress them down I refer it to their sergeant for further training.  If there is a problem with authority then flaunting my authority is not going to help the situation - there may be other issues at play.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
CDS/DOS/ITO/Comm/LGT/Admin - CP
PCR-WA-019

James Shaw

This type of situation is a clear example of how social media can and will have an impact on CAP. This is true whether the story is 100% true or 5% true. The stories and information are out there. The CAP member in question is 100% wrong in either case but that does not matter, the presumption of guilt is here and so is the story.

This is not a situation to be toyed with. We had a similar incident in GAWG 7 years ago and it SEVERLY DESTROYED the local CAP / USAF relationhip. It also amazes me that people admonish the letter as a way to "clear the air" or "bash" CAP members as a whole from Gen Courter.

It makes me wonder where the inside conspiracy is; Did someone type the letter in reverse and find a hidden message or did it have an Ottendorf Cipher in the text?
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)