Main Menu

MOLLE

Started by winterg, November 19, 2008, 04:26:16 AM

winterg

What do we have to do to get someone to make MOLLE gear in International Orange?  How clutch would that be? 

Start with a basic orange vest and put whatever orange pouches you want to on it in any configuration your heart desires.  Not to mention it would allow you to buy your setup when you could and rearange it as you want.
(Pipe-dream, I know)

I love MOLLE!  :-*

FlexCoder

Can you sketch a prototype of the idea that you have in regard to Orange Molle Gear?   I will see what I can do if you can get me good drawings.  You don't have to be an artist, sketches will suffice.  Not a pipedream at all, actually not hard to get made if one has the manufacturing and financial resources to get it developed.  If it is a success, a lifetime guarantee of free gear and royalties.

NC Hokie

Not a sketch but I'd start with nothing more than a vest similar to this:

http://www.marsgear.com/images/products/v-mo.jpg

A set of woodland camo MOLLE pouches sufficient to accomodate a 24-hour pack would leave plenty of orange showing.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

FlexCoder

Do you prefer it entirely in orange fabric or do you want to be able to remove the orange for other purposes?  Specifics are important.  What do most CAP members use for a 24-hour pack?    Just curious, because there are hundreds of options. 

NIN

It always cracks me up the MOLLE on the back. Like anybody is going to get to that stuff with the gear on.

If you have to take it off to get to things, then why shouldn't it go into your rucksack or similar?

I prefer a chest rig. MUCH more functional.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

The issue is that no one is even producing the fabric and components in orange, let alone manufacturing something like this as a whole.

There's just no market for it.

The vast real market for something like this is police and military who want subdued colors or camo to match their uniforms.

You'll never find enough SAR people who want / need a full-on blaze orange Molle setup to be able to  justify the huge manufacturing ramp up. 

"That Others May Zoom"

FlexCoder

Eclipse.....Orange Molle may benefit the hunting market but it is already flooded with orange gear.   And your definitely right about it not being popular with Military, Police, etc.  According to several military manufacturing trade magazines, safety orange & midnight blue camo are the least favored color choices for camo gear & apparel.  There are a lot fabric choices available in orange but the costs would be a lot higher than camo due to less demand.  I am not trying to get it massed produced or even take it to market.  It would be very high risk.   More interested in innovative gear that has a lot of useful features (Maxpedition comes to mind).     I was just curious to see where their idea may lead too.

winterg

I disagree.  Having done SAR for years not only with CAP but when I was a sheriff there is a huge market for a manufacture of orange MOLLE.  When you consider how many SAR organizations there are just in the US outside of the military I believe there is an infrastructure in place that would support the production if these organizations knew about the availability of the items.

For myself, I would want the pouches made in orange as well to increase visibility though I agree that of you had at least the basic orange vest the OD green pouches would not hinder it much.  Similar to wearing the orange vest we have now with an LBE over it as is common.

As far as sketches, that's easy.  Take a standard MOLLE (non vest-carrier model) and make it in orange.  I may even have already found a maker.  Problem is, it would be a custom manufacture which ups the price.  What I would like is to be able to get the basic MOLLE vest, readily available, for the price you can get them now, about $30 to $45.  This is well within the range of affordability of our membership.  After that, a few basic pouches to get you started and you can add on and customize as you see fit.

Check this guy out.  He makes a MOLLE vest with attachment points that go all the way up.  (MOLLE Tactical LBV)  I have an inquiry already sent to see the cost on an orange MOLLE.  http://thevestguy.com/category.asp?id=172

NC Hokie

Quote from: FlexCoder on November 19, 2008, 04:31:53 PM
Do you prefer it entirely in orange fabric or do you want to be able to remove the orange for other purposes?  Specifics are important.  What do most CAP members use for a 24-hour pack?    Just curious, because there are hundreds of options.

All orange.  As far as loadout goes, I have all of my 24-hour kit in a pair of SAW ammo pouches (equal to the old ALICE ammo pouch), two magazine pouches, and a butt pack.

Quote from: NIN on November 19, 2008, 04:33:54 PM
It always cracks me up the MOLLE on the back. Like anybody is going to get to that stuff with the gear on.

It's perfect for strapping the MOLLE hydration carriers to though, which is about all we'd use it for.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

winterg

Actually there are several items that can be affixed to the back attacheent points that work as well as letting you sit in a vehicle.  The model from That Vest Guy has a built in hydration bladder pouch on the inside.

Stonewall

My thought would be to keep a standard MOLLE vest such as the Blackhawk S.T.R.I.K.E. in a sage greenish color, similar to that of a flightsuit, that will look better with the ABUs coming our way.  Then, instead of making the thing completely blaze orange, add a few velcro panels.  One big one, about 4" X 10" that could be placed in the upper area around the shoulder blades and then 2 smaller reflective panels about 2" X 4" on the ront side near the collar bone area.

In fact, the reflrective material can even be labeled to read "EMERGENCY SERVICES" or "CIVIL AIR PATROL".  This would offer visibility, reflection and allow us to maintain that sense of being a military type group.

Here is my vision of artwork.

Then, of course, you can select and buy the pouches you wish to use and set up your vest the way you want it, still using readily available gear that comes in standard colors.

Serving since 1987.

winterg

Nice idea Stonewall.  The only problem I see with that is the requirement that ground teams must have on an orange vest when oot and aboot.  I figure, if we can at least get the basic vest in orange and then use regular OD pouches it will satisfy that requirement.  I'm going to ship an email off to Blackhawk and check the feasability of one of thier vests in orange.

Judging from the replys it looks like it would be a fairly popular item for people to start with a generic vest and customize it how you want.

NIN

Never been a big fan of tight-fitting vests for CAP ground team purposes, nor am I a big fan of those vests with the big "buttstock" panel on the shoulder (lots of wasted real-estate there, if you're so inclined)

As a long time "gear queer" I recently picked up a chest rig for my ACU-wearing activities, since bombing around with ACUs and a pistolbelt/canteen/buttpack/ammo pouch/LBE combo gets you funny looks these days. <GRIN>  Coupled with my rucksack (with hydration), I think its a winning combo.  I have the ability to drop the ruck if need be and yet I still have all the important stuff right there on me (strobe, GPS, admin pouch, first aid kit, flashlights, radio, knife, etc) in an easily accessible way.

Similar to this: http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=9996&TabID=1&CatID=5  (I must admit, I am not a fan of having gear colored in the same way as my uniform. It rubs me the wrong way for some reason. My Camelbak Motherlode is Foliage Green, for example, but this Ranger Rack I have is ACU. In the catalog, they show one in all foliage, but TruSpec claims they don't come that way. Grrrr.)

I did discover that while the carrier is usually inexpensive, they totally get you with the pouches. Gawd!

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

winterg

NIN,what does the back look like on the chest harness?  Is there enough material that if it was orange it would count as an orange vest?

Just heard back from That Vest Guy and he will make the MOLLE vest in orange, however, the webbing would be black.  I could live with that.  What's nice, attachement points go all the way upwith no shoulder stock padding.  http://thevestguy.com/product.asp?id=10191  Again, a bit pricey at $129

Also, the Blackhawk stuff is, as usual, outrageously overpriced.  I didn't even bother send an email.  I did however contact these guys to get a quote: http://www.marsgear.com/product.php?pid=9

As for the fit, I got mine one size larger than I needed and it is quite roomey.  No need to look like Chris Farley.   :D

isuhawkeye

hey gang.  there are a few people making MOLLE gear for SAR.  Check out www.Zulunine.com

brian has a few great products under a few different labels that are worth looking at.

Stonewall

Quote from: NIN on November 19, 2008, 07:14:29 PM
Never been a big fan of tight-fitting vests for CAP ground team purposes, nor am I a big fan of those vests with the big "buttstock" panel on the shoulder (lots of wasted real-estate there, if you're so inclined)

I have no need for the "buttstock" panel either, but that's a moot point to me.  As for the "tight fitting" vest, it's quite adjustable.  And as I have found in the military, using a chest rig with a lot of weight on the front (read: ammo), without body armor to provide stability, it will sag into your crotchal region.
Serving since 1987.

Rangercap

If you can get ahold of the manufacturer, and if they can fit you in their schedule, you could probably get one made. All you would need to do is procure the fabric.

That's what I did for my gear (sorry no vest though, I stopped wearing vests 15 years ago). I called the company, told them what I was interested in, and 4 weeks later, my stuff was at the house. It was 10% over regular cost, but everything is orange 1000d cordura, and handmade in the US.

Brian
PAWG

NIN

Quote from: winterg on November 19, 2008, 07:22:27 PM
NIN,what does the back look like on the chest harness?  Is there enough material that if it was orange it would count as an orange vest?

Just criss-crossed straps:

https://www.entrygear.com/productimages/SDS%20RACK%20LBV%20woodland.JPG

More or less like this one..

I like it cuz everything I would "access" while wearing is right within reach. I don't have to dislocate my shoulder to get something, or take it off.

I can wear my hydration bladder, or my rucksack with hydration bladder, over it.  Shoulders are clear and so is the back. Easy to wear in a vehicle.

It was either this or IBA, and since I'm not in a position to need IBA to also act as my "carrier" this was a LOT simpler.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Duke Dillio

alamrcn

I came in late... and only skimmed some of the posts, sorry...

FANTASTIC IDEA!

Do you think Darrin and Kirt's "front only" piece will meet National's vest requirement? That style would probably work best for me also for the same reasons. No need to get crazy with custom lables and reflective crap that might just be covered up anyway - the color change only would just GREAT!

Never mind the pouches, belts, etc, either. This would be perfect for anyone who already uses mil gear for CAP use, and I think a great seller if National got behind it (like allowing an ad in Volunteer) or it was able to be marketed well.

I absolutely HATE HATE HATE trying to wear current vests (of ANY quality and material) that keep rolling and bunching up under my gear.  Finally, this would be a way to not only meet National's vest requirement, but successfully integrate it into either of our two gear set-ups.

I'm in!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

winterg

Problem I see is that there would not be enough orange material in back to count as a vest.  We'd have to go with an actual standard type vest in orange MOLLE for it to work.

I agree.  Make it the National standard and let's all get on the same page.  Like THAT will ever happen! lol

alamrcn

What would happen if you took a mil issue dessert MOLLE vest...

Used Rit Dye color remover to pull dye out and then some Clorox Ultra bleach...

Then dye it in heavy consentration with Sunshine Orange #43...

Anyone have something of the same material as the vest that they would want to try this with?
Looks like the other materials would cost less than $10 total.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Stonewall

I actually have a desert colored 3-day pack from Blackhawk that I stole acquired from CENTCOM (still has "Property of CENTCOM" written on with a Sharpie) that is the same type material.

If I get bored over Thanksgiving weekend maybe I'll attempt this project.

Serving since 1987.

alamrcn

Git'er done... Let's see how orange that sucker can get!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

SarDragon

Not ever having had the opportunity to handle such equipment, I have to ask - what variety of textile are we discussing here, all cotton, or some synthetic, or a blend?

If it's all cotton, you'll have reasonable success with the color removal scheme. Make sure you don't make the Clorox solution too strong, or you'll seriously degrade the fabric and thread.

If it's synthetic, it won't work. The color is a part of the thread used to make the fabric. That's the way it came out of the machine.

A blend will probably give you an unsatisfactory intermediate result.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Stonewall

Made of 1000 denier nylon
Serving since 1987.

SarDragon

Quote from: Stonewall on November 26, 2008, 08:51:54 PM
Made of 1000 denier nylon

Save the effort. You'll just ruin a perfectly good piece of gear.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

notaNCO forever

Just spray paint it orange.  ;D

winterg

Yeah, don't waste your time.  The material will not accept a dye.  If it's gonna work it will have to be manufactured in international orange.  That Vest Guy said he'd make a MOLLE vest in orange but the webbing will stillbe black since he doesn't have orange webbing.  Not sure how well that would work.

If we can get a manufacture to take a chance and make them as well as being as affordable as the standard vests like we've seen ($35 - $45 range), I think there'd be a suitable demand to justify it.

Hawk200

If you can get a decent MOLLE type Fighting Load Carrier in Orange, including the webbing, I'd go for it (if it's a reasonable price of course). Pouches would have to be available too, but if someone makes the carrier and markets it well, pouches and such won't be far behind.

Strangely, over here, there are a lot of folks adding glint tape and other reflective material to their vests. Seems odd to me, but it's being done. That and you see a lot of chemlights being affixed all over uniforms.

O-Rex

For those of you with some sewing talent who like to upgrade & modify the crap out of all your gear, here is a great source for materials at rock-bottom prices:

http://www.diytacticalstore.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index

They even sell 1000 Denier nylon orange fabric.   

Downside-lots of items are out-of-stock.

Stonewall: please don't harm your 3-day pack in the name of research: I'm thinking of starting a PETA-like organization to stop you if you do  :angel:

Stonewall

Quote from: O-Rex on November 28, 2008, 01:23:36 PMStonewall: please don't harm your 3-day pack in the name of research: I'm thinking of starting a PETA-like organization to stop you if you do  :angel:

Don't worry, I didn't realize the pack was in my wife's car and being used as her E&E (or B.O.B - Bail Out Bag).  I didn't feel like taking it apart and have to find her a new pack to keep in her trunk only to never be used...hopefully.

Not to mentioned, if I had a half hour to do something like this, I'd rather just sleep.  4 month old daughter, 2 year old son can take a lot of you.
Serving since 1987.