Main Menu

WIMRS 2.0 Photo Upload

Started by twoltz, November 23, 2014, 05:01:49 AM

twoltz

Has anyone managed to figure out how to upload mission photos in WIMRS 2.0?

Thom

There is no Photo Upload capability in WMIRS 2.0. (If anyone knows different, please speak up!)

We went through our USAF SAR Eval last weekend using WMIRS 2.0 and it was painful. For now, given that WMIRS 2.0 isn't setup for photo uploads we are just uploading key photos of key targets to the general Mission Files upload location, using the Mission_Logs folder to organize them. We explained to the CAP-USAF folks that in the real world we often have to deliver the photos to the customer via some customer-specified manner, and so WMIRS isn't in the critical path for delivering those. They understood and knew more about the future of WMIRS and photos than we did.

The scuttlebutt seems to be that NHQ is looking at FEMA for a single point repository for future photos, instead of WMIRS. A couple of years ago, we thought the USGS HDDS would be the new single repository. We'll see when we get some news about it either way.

Best of luck to you in the meantime!

P.S. -- Louisiana got a Highly Successful on the Eval, very happy to get it after only having a couple of months to come to terms with WMIRS 2.0.

Thom

disamuel

Quote from: Thom on November 23, 2014, 07:06:15 PM
There is no Photo Upload capability in WMIRS 2.0. (If anyone knows different, please speak up!)

We went through our USAF SAR Eval last weekend using WMIRS 2.0 and it was painful. For now, given that WMIRS 2.0 isn't setup for photo uploads we are just uploading key photos of key targets to the general Mission Files upload location, using the Mission_Logs folder to organize them. We explained to the CAP-USAF folks that in the real world we often have to deliver the photos to the customer via some customer-specified manner, and so WMIRS isn't in the critical path for delivering those. They understood and knew more about the future of WMIRS and photos than we did.

The scuttlebutt seems to be that NHQ is looking at FEMA for a single point repository for future photos, instead of WMIRS. A couple of years ago, we thought the USGS HDDS would be the new single repository. We'll see when we get some news about it either way.

Best of luck to you in the meantime!

P.S. -- Louisiana got a Highly Successful on the Eval, very happy to get it after only having a couple of months to come to terms with WMIRS 2.0.

Thom

We learned the same thing today, and ended up using the main mission file area as a repository.

I liked the ability to signed people in to the mission without using the 211, but I don't see a reporting module so that I can see who participated. Also the online ORM is so much easier than the previous method.

Overall it's still a bit buggy, but I think once the bugs are fixed it should be a decent upgrade.

Eclipse

Quote from: Thom on November 23, 2014, 07:06:15 PMThe scuttlebutt seems to be that NHQ is looking at FEMA for a single point repository for future photos, instead of WMIRS.

My wing has been using the FEMA site for a couple years.  Properly encoded photos automatically geo-locate on Google earth
and customers and the public can be granted easy access.

Who looks in WMIRS for photos?

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

QuoteA couple of years ago, we thought the USGS HDDS would be the new single repository
In our last real world FEMA mission, everything we uploaded to FEMA was ported over to HDDS automatically. Much of what FEMA wants photos of is also of interest to USGS, but most of what USGS wants isn't of interest to FEMA.

Mike

Thom

Quote from: Eclipse on November 24, 2014, 01:47:59 AM
Quote from: Thom on November 23, 2014, 07:06:15 PMThe scuttlebutt seems to be that NHQ is looking at FEMA for a single point repository for future photos, instead of WMIRS.

<snip>

Who looks in WMIRS for photos?

NHQ.

We had a flooding mission where we delivered thousands of images to the customer(s). HDDS, FEMA, Army NG FTP sites, etc. The customers were happy with the images, the geotagging, and our delivery to their repositories.

All of that didn't mean anything to NHQ unless we also uploaded them to WMIRS. Obviously we didn't upload all of them, I think it would have broken WMIRS if we had!

I'd like to get out of the business of dealing with images twice for no real operational value.

Thom

twoltz

So, what are the details on using the FEMA site?  I have never heard of it being done and we have never used it.

Eclipse

Quote from: Thom on November 24, 2014, 05:53:04 AM
All of that didn't mean anything to NHQ unless we also uploaded them to WMIRS.

Unless NHQ is the customer, they don't need the photos.

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

If NHQ wants to look at the photos, they can view them in the same place as the public can.

Top level page for CAP images uploaded to FEMA:
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=8872cf59b2d14445aace8e8f6a0f9af5
Click on "OPEN", Open in Map Viewer

Direct to photos, each green dot is one or more photos.
http://bit.ly/1xtcf5J
Click on the "i"con for more info.

And the USGS HDDS site:
http://hddsexplorer.usgs.gov/

Mike