Main Menu

CAP Radio Antenna

Started by Woodsy, December 25, 2013, 09:06:51 PM

Woodsy

I recently got a new vehicle and am installing my issued CAP mobile in it.  My previous vehicle was a pick up so it was an easy antenna mount on the tool box.  I now have an SUV (Jeep Patriot) so my previous setup isn't an option.  Ideally, I'd like a magnetic mount, 3 foot whip max (I have to go in a parking garage often.) Most of the mobile VHF antennas I'm finding are 2 meter tuned amateur band.  I'm having trouble finding one that will cover our frequencies.  Anyone have any ideas, links etc?  I'm trying to get one off Amazon because I want to use gift cards, but will go elsewhere if I have to.  I don't want to spend the $100-150 (unless it's the gift cards) on the setup my Wing Comms guy recommended!  (I'm sure he'll chime in here soon  ::) )

I'm about at the point where I'm just gonna throw an Arrow J-pole in the back...  Hey, that might work just fine... 
Now that I mention that...  Anyone ever put a J-pole in the interior of a vehicle and ran that way? 

Thanks for any ideas!  Oh, and if anyone has mounted a radio in a Patriot, let me know how you did it.  Not many options... 

Eclipse

You might also look into a through-the-glass style, though some vehicles have a metallic film in the glass whichi
precludes their use.

Mag mount?  Real men drill N-Mounts.

"That Others May Zoom"

Woodsy

Quote from: Eclipse on December 25, 2013, 09:16:42 PM
You might also look into a through-the-glass style, though some vehicles have a metallic film in the glass whichi
precludes their use.

Mag mount?  Real men drill N-Mounts.

Would love to drill, but not an option in my case.

I like the glass mount idea, but just did a search and am having the same problems.  Everything is either the 144-148 mhz amateur band or 300 bucks. 

arajca

BFreemanMA

Here's what I use for my Tait2020. It was recommended by several of my squadron's comms guys for my setup, but I'm not sure if it will work for a different radio.

Antenna:  http://www.amazon.com/Browning-BR-159-Wideband-Mobile-Antenna/dp/B004PGMFHQ

Mag Mount:
http://www.amazon.com/BROWNING-BR316-3-5-Inch-Chrome-Magnet/dp/B003H3DTIM/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Adapter to go from PL-259 to BNC: http://www.amazon.com/TRUCKSPEC-BNC-To-SO-239-Adapter/dp/B001JT3J7W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386190735&sr=1-1&keywords=so-239+to+bnc

To round out my setup for the Tait2020, I got a banana adapter for my car's cigarette lighter, attached the leads, and powered her on. Worked perfectly for me! I would recommend running these by your comms people before making any purchase, though, just to make sure it will work before you drop money on it
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Woodsy

Quote from: BFreemanMA on December 25, 2013, 11:30:04 PM
Here's what I use for my Tait2020. It was recommended by several of my squadron's comms guys for my setup, but I'm not sure if it will work for a different radio.

Antenna:  http://www.amazon.com/Browning-BR-159-Wideband-Mobile-Antenna/dp/B004PGMFHQ

Mag Mount:
http://www.amazon.com/BROWNING-BR316-3-5-Inch-Chrome-Magnet/dp/B003H3DTIM/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Adapter to go from PL-259 to BNC: http://www.amazon.com/TRUCKSPEC-BNC-To-SO-239-Adapter/dp/B001JT3J7W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386190735&sr=1-1&keywords=so-239+to+bnc

To round out my setup for the Tait2020, I got a banana adapter for my car's cigarette lighter, attached the leads, and powered her on. Worked perfectly for me! I would recommend running these by your comms people before making any purchase, though, just to make sure it will work before you drop money on it

Perfect!  Thanks!

♠SARKID♠

Real men cut their own antennas. 8)

SarDragon

I have a Ham 2-meter mag mount that I got at Ham Radio Outlet, and it works fine on our freqs. It's listed as having wide band performance.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cap235629

you will not be able to tune an antenna to cover all of the frequencies, the span from high to low is greater than 10 MHz.  This is why CAP issues and uses this antenna:

Maxrad MWV1365

You may be able to find a better price but I recommend the vendor in the link.  However before you buy an antenna, ask your Wing Director of Communications for one, he/she should have at least one for every mobile in the wing.

As far as mounting it, if drilling holes is out of the question, I recommend using a bracket

Fender/Bracket Mounts
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

Quote from: cap235629 on December 27, 2013, 01:07:34 AM
you will not be able to tune an antenna to cover all of the frequencies, the span from high to low is greater than 10 MHz.  This is why CAP issues and uses this antenna:

Maxrad MWV1365

You may be able to find a better price but I recommend the vendor in the link.  However before you buy an antenna, ask your Wing Director of Communications for one, he/she should have at least one for every mobile in the wing.

Ah yes, the "night stick".   Yes, I'd be willing to bet your wing has a number of them on the shelf.
I've returned mine at least twice only to get it back again later.

The problem is that spring will take your garage roof off if you forget it's on there, whereas the 2-meter
wire ones can go in and out no problem - they just go "!*TWANNGG*!"

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: Eclipse on December 27, 2013, 03:35:14 AM
Quote from: cap235629 on December 27, 2013, 01:07:34 AM

Maxrad MWV1365

Ah yes, the "night stick".   Yes, I'd be willing to bet your wing has a number of them on the shelf.
I've returned mine at least twice only to get it back again later.

The problem is that spring will take your garage roof off if you forget it's on there, whereas the 2-meter
wire ones can go in and out no problem - they just go "!*TWANNGG*!"

If he mounts it with a fender clip that will not be an issue
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

JoeTomasone

Depends on where he mounts it.   Unless its high enough to clear the roofline with the vast majority of the driven element, the SWR will likely be too high, and the antenna would be very directional opposite the car as well.   

Brad

Here's a good article on 2-meter antenna mounting, including modeling a glass-mount:

http://w6nbc.com/articles/2012-03QST2mmounting.pdf
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

tribalelder

Suggestion-On line source Arizona Rocky Road has brackets to fit jeep tailgate. Route coax through door and out the grommet under spare tire-- bracket to bolt under spare tire mount. No drill!  Get relatively broadband vhf antenna -Laird has some, there are others. Using this arrangement on legacy radios for jeep wranglers in IL and FL. The plastic and fabric tops on wranglers weren't a propagation issue, on metal top SUV, YMMV.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

N7MOG

I've had real good luck w/2M ham antennas.  5300's seem to work with the less than perfect narrow bandedness of these antennas.  I also carry one or two Arrow J-Poles to set up at destinations.  They have worked fine.  I agree with brackets if you cannot (will not) drill a hole, superior above mag mounts.  Caveat:  they all work to some degree.  Broad band antennas that CAP has purchased or even 1/4 wave whips are not as efficient (range-wise) as good ham or commercial "cut to length" antennas set for center of band.  I've had much better experiences with 5/8 wave LMR antennas on mobiles.  My opinions from my experiences....
N7MOG (Extra class and VE Contact point)
Grasslands 4
Bill Collister
SDWG DC
Cadet in 1968-1973 (Mitchell Award)
Collecter of knowledge since then, finding out my parents got real smart about the time I turned 18....
Improvise, Adapt and Overcome - Semper Fidelis

The original content of this post is Copyright (c) 2014 by William Collister.  The right to reproduce the content of this post within CAP-Talk only for the purposes of providing a quoted reply, by CAP-Talk users only, is specifically granted. All other rights, including "Fair Use," are specifically reserved.

skymaster

This is the antenna that I use with my EFJ 5300. It is a Pulse-Larsen NMO-WB150B 134-174 MHz 1/2 wave tunable antenna, with a published spec of a 2.4dB gain, and a 20 MHz bandwidth. If it is good enough for use by the U.S.A.F., U.S. Army, U.S. Coast Guard, and several Federal and state government departments, it is good enough for me.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-009816