Getting back in. What advice is there for returnees?

Started by Hawk200, August 16, 2020, 01:24:48 PM

Hawk200

Moving back to my old area. Going back to my old unit inside a month timeframe (tentatively.)

Been out for 7 years (according to my old ID card.)

What kind of advice does anyone have for someone going back after that kind of time?

I've been looking at "ET," and have a pretty good idea on what I need for getting my Level 4. (I'm only worried about Level, the rank will come, I'm really not worried about it.)

Tried to stay up-to-date on uniform (and related) publications.

Looked at some of the specialty track guides for a few of my old specialty tracks, but also checked out a few potential new-to-me specialty tracks (since the unit might not need one of the specialty tracks I'm previously qualified in.) I'm certainly open to something new.

I know how much wing/region dues are.

Got uniforms prepped (more or less,) will be ordering footwear when I get where I'm going. 

What have I forgotten?

arajca

Pay attention to the current CPP Training.

If you're going to involved with cadets, look for a TLC-Basic class when you get there.

Hawk200

Quote from: arajca on August 16, 2020, 01:42:42 PMPay attention to the current CPP Training.

If you're going to involved with cadets, look for a TLC-Basic class when you get there.

I looked at that as something that was a given, so didn't really give it much thought.

I think I saw something about an advanced Training for Cadet Leaders, which is something that I might interested in doing, just for the knowledge even if I don't do much for cadets.

Jester

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 16, 2020, 01:56:53 PM
Quote from: arajca on August 16, 2020, 01:42:42 PMPay attention to the current CPP Training.

I looked at that as something that was a given, so didn't really give it much thought.

I think I saw something about an advanced Training for Cadet Leaders, which is something that I might interested in doing, just for the knowledge even if I don't do much for cadets.

Start with TLC basic. It's for those who contribute to the program at the squadron level and is basically a primer in the current cadet program (but take "current" with a grain of salt, the curriculum is 4 years old but there's already changes to CP that aren't included in TLC).

TLC intermediate is for those who need to know how to run a squadron level cadet program.  More hands-on but if you don't have the context provided in the basic class it's not very intuitive.

TLC Advanced is basically vapor ware as far as I'm concerned, but it's supposed to prepare you to be a DCP at the wing level.

This may be a moot point since I don't know if you even can take intermediate before basic, but definitely start with basic if given the choice.

Hawk200

Quote from: Jester on August 16, 2020, 02:48:27 PMThis may be a moot point since I don't know if you even can take intermediate before basic, but definitely start with basic if given the choice.

Maybe I'm a little confused here. Is TLC a separate course from Cadet Protection?

Capt Thompson

Yes TLC=Training Leaders of Cadets, and TLC basic is a prerequisite to TLC Intermediate.

CPP is Cadet Protection, in which there is a basic and advanced. Everyone should take CPP Basic, if you work with Cadets you should take advanced.

Did you have any ES quals that you are interested in getting back? Look over the SQTR's for those and see what you need to do there. Also are there any new Quals you are interested in? There may be FEMA courses you can do now, and once you get back in you may need to renew aircraft ground handling and some quals require aircrew professionalism.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Ranger75

I was in a similar situation as I returned to CAP after a significant lapse in my membership due to career demands.  As I was relocating to a new state and seeking out a unit to join, I contacted membership services at National.  I provided my prior SN and asked if they could provide me a copy of whatever had been maintained in eServices.  The record was fairly complete and accurate for my most recent years.  Having first joined as a cadet in 1968, there were significant gaps from my early years.  When my application to rejoin went through, I was able to immediately work with the squadron personnel officer and member services to complete the record having spent time gathering necessary documents from my personal files.  Welcome back to the ranks and files.

Capt Thompson

About uniforms, note that CAPM 39-1 is now CAPR 39-1, so make sure you are looking at the correct uniform reg.
Capt Matt Thompson

Hawk200

Quote from: Capt Thompson on August 16, 2020, 04:25:02 PMYes TLC=Training Leaders of Cadets, and TLC basic is a prerequisite to TLC Intermediate.

CPP is Cadet Protection, in which there is a basic and advanced. Everyone should take CPP Basic, if you work with Cadets you should take advanced.

Good to know. I'll probably take the advanced anyway, I may work with cadets in a leadership role, but I doubt I'll have time to do Cadet programs specifically.

Quote from: Capt Thompson on August 16, 2020, 04:25:02 PMDid you have any ES quals that you are interested in getting back? Look over the SQTR's for those and see what you need to do there. Also are there any new Quals you are interested in? There may be FEMA courses you can do now, and once you get back in you may need to renew aircraft ground handling and some quals require aircrew professionalism.

I was working on Mission Scanner, which I'll probably get that back, I like aircrew time.

Worked on UDF, GTM3, did some marshalling, and fueling.

All my ICS courses are current. Had to take them a few months ago for the Army, and you better believe I saved those certificates.

Eclipse

TLC - even if you don't work much with cadets, it will give you a good approximation of the state of the CP today, and
it will also check a box for QCUA.

Beyond that, backfill what need to history-wise chart out what needs to be done quals-wise,
and then see what the unit needs, which isn't likely to be much, sadly, based on the current state
of the universe.

From a personal perspective you might as well check as many PD ET boxes as you can.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Capt Thompson on August 16, 2020, 04:38:24 PMAbout uniforms, note that CAPM 39-1 is now CAPR 39-1, so make sure you are looking at the correct uniform reg.

I think I downloaded that five minutes after I saw it was available here.

I did make sure the uniforms I have are serviceable, although I don't seem to have a service coat. I'll get it later. Have to update ribbons for blues, but I don't even have to wear the ribbons yet.

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on August 16, 2020, 04:44:49 PMTLC - even if you don't work much with cadets, it will give you a good approximation of the state of the CP today, and
it will also check a box for QCUA.

Good idea. I'll probably take them anyway. I like to be able to provide answers to more needed courses.

Quote from: Eclipse on August 16, 2020, 04:44:49 PMBeyond that, backfill what need to history-wise chart out what needs to be done quals-wise,
and then see what the unit needs, which isn't likely to be much, sadly, based on the current state
of the universe.

From a personal perspective you might as well check as many PD ET boxes as you can.

I'm kinda building a good mental checklist, and this is a good way for me to remember it.

Hopefully, people will keep replying. A few things I had in mind, but have definitely added ideas from here.

ßτε

You will need to complete the new Level 1 before you can do anything else. Since you already have Levels 2 and 3, you will get credit for them.

Hawk200

Quote from: ßτε on August 16, 2020, 10:46:48 PMYou will need to complete the new Level 1 before you can do anything else. Since you already have Levels 2 and 3, you will get credit for them.

Is that still basically Cadet Protection/Orientation?

Think they'd just give me credit for the Orientation part? Being a prior member? Not like I really need it again. Did a lot of historical study when I was in (Yeah, I dabbled in the Historian track.:) )

Out of curiosity, is Orientation available online?

Capt Thompson

Level I is different than Cadet Protection. Any time you have more than a 2 year lapse in membership you have to do Level I over again, but it shouldn't take you very long. Most of it will be available online once you have access to Eservices again.
Capt Matt Thompson

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 16, 2020, 01:24:48 PMWhat kind of advice does anyone have for someone going back after that kind of time?

CAPR 35-5 Para 3.8

3.8. Former Members. A former member may be reinstated to the same grade held prior to voluntary membership termination, provided he or she qualifies for that grade under current criteria (including applicable professional development criteria). Requests for former member grade reinstatements for those members rejoining with a two year or less break in service may be based on the grandfathered duty performance promotion requirements until 11 August 2018. A recommendation for such reinstatement is neither automatic nor mandatory.

Take note of that last line I bolded and ask your squadron you are joining what their policy is on this.

SarDragon

Quote from: Capt Thompson on August 17, 2020, 04:24:09 PMLevel I is different than Cadet Protection. Any time you have more than a 2 year lapse in membership you have to do Level I over again, but it shouldn't take you very long. Most of it will be available online once you have access to Eservices again.

Cadet Protection is a part of Level I, as are Diversity, Equal Opportunity, and Nondiscrimination, OpSec, and the rest of the modules listed in CAPR 40-1, Attachment 3. "Orientation" no longer exists as a named unit.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ßτε

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 17, 2020, 02:15:39 PM
Quote from: ßτε on August 16, 2020, 10:46:48 PMYou will need to complete the new Level 1 before you can do anything else. Since you already have Levels 2 and 3, you will get credit for them.

Is that still basically Cadet Protection/Orientation?

Think they'd just give me credit for the Orientation part? Being a prior member? Not like I really need it again. Did a lot of historical study when I was in (Yeah, I dabbled in the Historian track.:) )

Out of curiosity, is Orientation available online?
As of 4 Aug 2020, all the levels. including Level 1, has changed. See https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/members/ed-training/level-1-onboarding