Squadron Leadership School

Started by TheSkyHornet, September 04, 2015, 01:28:07 PM

kwe1009

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 04, 2015, 01:28:07 PM
Does anyone know what the process is to conduct the online version of Squadron Leadership School (SLS)?

I signed up via the electronic application on eServices about two weeks ago after discussing this with my CC. The classroom course if being offered at OHWG PD weekend in October, but I will be taking the Training Leaders of Cadets course, and you can only sign up for one course for the event. So, I opted to do the SLS online.

My application is out, and I understand that it has to go through Wing to be approved. How long might it usually take to be approved/denied, and if approved, how do you know that you are approved (is it via email?) and is it all conducted through eServices?

My CC was very much in favor of taking the online SLS rather than waiting until the next PD weekend in a year. However, she did not know the complete process for getting approved and starting the actual course once the application goes out, having never taken the online courses (only the classroom). She tried to get me to link up with our Safety Officer whom she said had taken the online course and could give me some information about it, but it turns out that he actually took the classroom course at an out-of-state PD weekend.

So, at this point, I'm left in the dark on what to expect from here on out. It basically went from some questions about SLS with my CC to "go ahead and sign up on eServices" to "well, I don't know what to tell you from this point; good luck."  :o

Insight would be appreciated.  :)

The approval process is just a mouse click so how ever long it takes  your Wing Commander to get to it.  It is not conducted through eServices.  I did it online last year.  It was pretty good but the program they use to run the course is a little clunky.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: kwe1009 on September 04, 2015, 11:28:30 PM
Does anyone know what the process is to conduct the online version of Squadron Leadership School (SLS)?

I signed up via the electronic application on eServices about two weeks ago after discussing this with my CC. The classroom course if being offered at OHWG PD weekend in October, but I will be taking the Training Leaders of Cadets course, and you can only sign up for one course for the event. So, I opted to do the SLS online.

My application is out, and I understand that it has to go through Wing to be approved. How long might it usually take to be approved/denied, and if approved, how do you know that you are approved (is it via email?) and is it all conducted through eServices?

My CC was very much in favor of taking the online SLS rather than waiting until the next PD weekend in a year. However, she did not know the complete process for getting approved and starting the actual course once the application goes out, having never taken the online courses (only the classroom). She tried to get me to link up with our Safety Officer whom she said had taken the online course and could give me some information about it, but it turns out that he actually took the classroom course at an out-of-state PD weekend.

So, at this point, I'm left in the dark on what to expect from here on out. It basically went from some questions about SLS with my CC to "go ahead and sign up on eServices" to "well, I don't know what to tell you from this point; good luck."  :o

The approval process is just a mouse click so how ever long it takes  your Wing Commander to get to it.  It is not conducted through eServices.  I did it online last year.  It was pretty good but the program they use to run the course is a little clunky.

So, then where do they house the online course?

kwe1009

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 10, 2015, 01:54:00 PM

http://www.capwyhq.org/moodle20/login/index.php

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: kwe1009 on September 10, 2015, 03:49:57 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 10, 2015, 01:54:00 PM

http://www.capwyhq.org/moodle20/login/index.php

Ah, so Wyoming has their own PD section. Good stuff.
We'll see what Ohio has in store.

kwe1009

I am not in the Wyoming wing, I don't know if the online SLS is done by other wings or if it is all run through Wyoming.  When I did this last year, they were the only option that I could find.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: kwe1009 on September 11, 2015, 05:27:48 PM
I am not in the Wyoming wing, I don't know if the online SLS is done by other wings or if it is all run through Wyoming.  When I did this last year, they were the only option that I could find.

Gotcha.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Well, thanks for the info. I guess whatever happens happens at this point. If I can take the course, awesome. If not, just moving on.

SarDragon

SLS and CLC are MUCH better when taken in a classroom environment. The personal interactions are a big part of the draw and effectiveness of those courses.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

kwe1009

Quote from: SarDragon on September 11, 2015, 08:21:01 PM
SLS and CLC are MUCH better when taken in a classroom environment. The personal interactions are a big part of the draw and effectiveness of those courses.

Agreed.  Unfortunately for me, my Wing only had an SLS when I was scheduled for Reserve duty.  I tried for 2 years to do it in person before I finally took it online.  My class finished just a couple o days after the promotion change last year so I had to use the grandfather clause to make Captain.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: kwe1009 on September 11, 2015, 08:25:23 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 11, 2015, 08:21:01 PM

Agreed.  Unfortunately for me, my Wing only had an SLS when I was scheduled for Reserve duty.  I tried for 2 years to do it in person before I finally took it online.  My class finished just a couple o days after the promotion change last year so I had to use the grandfather clause to make Captain.

Plus, I keep hearing that SLS is a course that should really be taken early on in CAP if you can get it in. My CC wanted me to attend a different course, TLC. Personally, I would have preferred to have taken SLS before TLC, but, hey, I'll just run with what I've been tasked to do.

SarDragon

If you are working directly in CP, TLC first is probably better. YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jdh

The online SLS course I'm taking right now online is through Wy wing as well.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: jdh on September 12, 2015, 12:25:34 AM

How's the online course going for you?

JC004

Quote from: jdh on September 12, 2015, 12:25:34 AM

Is that their only course offered?

jdh

The online course was 8 weeks long (just finished it last night) and included a lot of busy work (for lack of better term). It was like taking a full 4 hour college course during a mini summer semester. If I could have taken it in person in a reasonable time I would have, but there were none on the calendar when I was ready for the course. They offer SLS and CLC and currently have two courses of each running.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: jdh on September 14, 2015, 08:22:20 PM
The online course was 8 weeks long (just finished it last night) and included a lot of busy work (for lack of better term). It was like taking a full 4 hour college course during a mini summer semester. If I could have taken it in person in a reasonable time I would have, but there were none on the calendar when I was ready for the course. They offer SLS and CLC and currently have two courses of each running.

Busy work as in a bunch of stuff that wasn't essential to the outcome/objective of the course, in your opinion?

How do they cram 8 weeks worth of stuff into a weekend without completely diminishing the course content? I've taken the FEMA "3 hour" courses that usually only take me an hour to two hours to run through the entire course where I feel competent in what I've learned. The same goes for a lot of the eServices online stuff. I feel the timespan some of these online courses say to expect (i.e., 4 hours) is overkill from what it should actually take if you sit down and do it from start to finish. I can usually knock out a course in half that. I've taken a number of online college courses before that could have moved along much faster if it wasn't for waiting on an assignment at the end of the week, but I understand they try to schedule around most people's lives outside of the single class.

I'm more the type of planning a Saturday to myself to sit down and get through the material. Get it. Get out. Done. I don't prefer to spend an hour on this day and then an hour three days later and then another hour next week. That takes up more time for me than what I can make work, but that's just me.

The CAP website just makes some things so ambiguous that you really don't know what you're getting involved in.

kwe1009

Both the online SLS and CLC are 8 weeks long.  The syllabus is the same as the in person courses.  I probably spent a little more than an hour each week on average for both so it worked out to about the same amount of time spent as the in person course.  A big part of both courses is interaction and it is a lot harder to get that online versus a classroom sitting. 

You experience may vary but I didn't get much out of it.  After 25+ years in the Air Force and over 2 in CAP there wasn't much there for me.  I'm sure the in person class would have been much better.  If I ever get the opportunity I plan to take it in person just for grins and giggles.

JC004

I kind of wonder how you stretch SLS to an 8 week course.  When Officer Basic Course came out, I did that in a few hours.  Of course, they give you 90 days to do all of it.

jdh

Quote from: JC004 on September 14, 2015, 09:28:37 PM
I kind of wonder how you stretch SLS to an 8 week course.  When Officer Basic Course came out, I did that in a few hours.  Of course, they give you 90 days to do all of it.

Lots of discussion boards with required responses. 

TheSkyHornet

Same here. Only took a few hours. I think I got it knocked out in two days. Did it at work on my lunch breaks :P That's usually when I get a lot of my LMS stuff done.

Quote from: jdh on September 15, 2015, 11:14:10 AM

So pretty much like college, waiting on everyone else to answer.

I assume they stay on topic much more than CAP Talk  ;D I'm surprised this topic has stayed on track this long, teehee

THRAWN

Quote from: jdh on September 15, 2015, 11:14:10 AM

That's exactly how PME is conducted. I just finished up a 34 week course through the Naval War College. We had a couple discussions per week that we had to respond to. The discussions and interaction among the cohort is great. You're not learning in isolation and most of the other survivors have interacted off the Blackboard as well. Compare that to when I did ACSC, and it was in total isolation. Web based interactive learning is a good way to get the courses done. It's come a long way from the old ECI days...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023