CAP Volunteer Service Clashing With Employer Expectations

Started by RADIOMAN015, March 29, 2012, 10:57:29 PM

a2capt

Maybe it backfired, but I was pretty open about my community involvement, my CAP involvement, and contributions on my resumes when applying for employment. I didn't want them to think I was doing nothing, either, during the growing gap. ... the still progressing gap, OTOH, I've learned a lot about laser cutting, Gcode, CNC machines, and R/C aircraft in 3 years.

None of which I had touched while I was busy being a 1 man IT dept. for the previous 17 years.

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 29, 2012, 10:57:29 PM
Interestingly another website is reporting that a Regional Commander has tended his resignation due to his employer's expectation of him being on the job and not off on CAP business.  Apparently he accepted a promotion in a public safety agency and this changed the employer's expectations.

Makes one wonder how anyone at a higher level (maybe even at a squadron commander level), is viewed by their employer, if other than vacation/comp time utilization is being requested (I would paid time to perform CAP duties ??? :-\).   Surely there's organizations that allow their employees some time off for community type activities (but I would think more of the non profit & government type organizations would be more liberal than the business side in allowing this.  I know one of my relatives works at a company that gives them about 3 days a year to participate in community activities).   Any time I'm away from work for CAP activities during my normal work week I have to use my vacation time.

Seems like it could be a really challenge and maybe even a civilian career stopper for anyone in CAP at a higher level that requires taking lots of time off from work :-\ ???  :(
RM         

The Region CC didn't just step down from Command, he also retired from CAP effective 31 March, effectively ending his membership.

There's more to this story that we probably won't ever know.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Major Carrales

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on April 03, 2012, 04:15:32 AM
Interestingly another website is reporting that a Regional Commander has tended his resignation due to his employer's expectation of him being on the job and not off on CAP business.  Apparently he accepted a promotion in a public safety agency and this changed the employer's expectations.

Makes one wonder how anyone at a higher level (maybe even at a squadron commander level), is viewed by their employer, if other than vacation/comp time utilization is being requested (I would paid time to perform CAP duties ??? :-\).   Surely there's organizations that allow their employees some time off for community type activities (but I would think more of the non profit & government type organizations would be more liberal than the business side in allowing this.  I know one of my relatives works at a company that gives them about 3 days a year to participate in community activities).   Any time I'm away from work for CAP activities during my normal work week I have to use my vacation time.

Seems like it could be a really challenge and maybe even a civilian career stopper for anyone in CAP at a higher level that requires taking lots of time off from work :-\ ???  :(
RM         

The Region CC didn't just step down from Command, he also retired from CAP effective 31 March, effectively ending his membership.

Without any judgements on RADIOMAN15 for this is a common practice, one continuing issue that does occur at CAPTALK is a propensity to jump to a conclusion before all facts are known.  This usally causes people to say things, then passionately defend them as "FACTS" and then come to find they were wrong and, if only they had waited, a clear image would come to light.

Investigate...yes.  Examine...yes!  Discuss and Debate...yes!!! BUT NEVER ASSUME  when not all is know or is beyond the realm of mere speculation.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

denverpilot

My employer has a specific clause for (unpaid - can't win 'em all) 14 days a year of CAP service.

(They're equally generous of other charities, but somewhere along the line they added a CAP specific clause before I was with the company. I haven't found any other CAP members yet, though.)

arajca

RM         

True. Some Public Safety agencies prohibit their executive personnel from volunteering with any agency. A friend of mine had to retire as a volunteer fire fighter when he made Capt in his police dept.

sardak

Quote from: denverpilot on April 03, 2012, 04:42:33 AM
My employer has a specific clause for (unpaid - can't win 'em all) 14 days a year of CAP service.

(They're equally generous of other charities, but somewhere along the line they added a CAP specific clause before I was with the company. I haven't found any other CAP members yet, though.)
That's because Colorado has "Leave & Job Protection for Volunteer Workers" laws. CAP members are covered under a different part of the law, and have different protections, than non-CAP volunteers (because COWG requested the law originally, and the authors were the Legislative Squadron commander and vice-commander). More here: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DOLA-Main/CBON/1251596866302

The laws only apply for actual incidents and not for training.

Mike

tsrup

RM         

The letter sent out stated that he was being promoted and would no longer have time to fulfill his obligations in CAP.

So in reality there probably isn't any more to the story than that.

Not defending him, just hedging off the race to the tin-foil hats.

Occam's Razor and all..
Paramedic
hang-around.

Flying Pig

Wow..  automatically jumping to conspiracy.  Chances are he just finished his run.  And decided his full time career was more important.  What Region CC was it?  I have over 20 yrs in CAP including my cadet time.  Unfortunately cadet time doesnt count for "retirement" although Ive met members who havnt been to a meeting in 10 years but were allowed to "retire" because they paid their dues on time. 

I just let mine go because work was going full speed.  But I dont mind because work going full speed for me is pretty awesome.  Could be the same for this member.  There are things I miss about CAP, sure.  But I think it ran its course.  So why cant it be the same for a former Region Commander?

James Shaw

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Johnny Yuma

Hey, I'm in the region that's the subject of the OP's post. I've seen enough amateur dinner theater dramatics between NHQ, Region and Wing Command in the last 8 years to believe that the Region motto should be "Humpty Dumpty was pushed!".

I'm a natural cynic and the antics of CAP, Inc. haven't done much to change this. In all honesty I'm hoping his departure was voluntary and that he wasn't shoved out for one reason or another. It would be a first in a long time :-[
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Flying Pig

Which region was it?  Im just curious.  Obviously its not a secret is it?

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Flying Pig

Looks like he was a police Lt. in charge of the Homicide Unit.  Moving on to another assignment or getting promoted is pretty realistic.  He fell just short if his 20.  To bad he couldnt just keep his membership up for another 3 yrs.   

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 05, 2012, 04:02:46 PM
Looks like he was a police Lt. in charge of the Homicide Unit.  Moving on to another assignment or getting promoted is pretty realistic.  He fell just short if his 20.  To bad he couldnt just keep his membership up for another 3 yrs.

Yeah, that's exactly my point. They might be concerned with his constant travel but being a CAP member?

IIRc you cannot retire unless you have 20 years, so in effect he quit. It's strange...

" Skip a bit, brother."

bflynn

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on April 11, 2012, 12:32:38 PMIIRc you cannot retire unless you have 20 years, so in effect he quit. It's strange...

Someone plays CAP for 17 years and then stops because they need to devote time for work?  What's strange about that?

Does CAP "retirement" get you anything?  I mean other than permission to keep wearing a uniform that they couldn't keep you from wearing anyway?

NCRblues

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on April 11, 2012, 12:32:38 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on April 05, 2012, 04:02:46 PM

Yeah, that's exactly my point. They might be concerned with his constant travel but being a CAP member?

IIRc you cannot retire unless you have 20 years, so in effect he quit. It's strange...

Actually, if you paid really REALLY close attention on the situation.... he was placed in the region command chair AGAIN to serve the remainder of his last term out. It was an understanding that he served his remaining time, then step aside.

I am the king of CAP conspiracy ideas (well, maybe not as bad as RADIOMAN) but still. Even I see nothing off about this. The man was promoted to Captain in a police department that serves a large crime high population just outside the ever so lovely St. Louis Mo. Nothing to see here move along. Lets hope the replacement can do a good job.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC