Finally set up the "official" signature. Not too happy with how it looks

Started by Майор Хаткевич, September 14, 2015, 03:47:47 PM

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Fubar on September 15, 2015, 04:57:59 AM
The two line signature isn't bad. It's the one I use when I email the one guy in the wing that worries about email signatures  ;)

Maj John Doe, XYWG/DO
Civil Air Patrol

It may not look as bad as the other ones, but it's bad. It's using military elements in a non-military way. An organization and office symbol should never be used on the same line after the name.

John Doe is a Maj in CAP not in XYWG/DO. A better way to display this would be:

Maj John Doe, CAP
XYWG/DO
Civil Air Patrol

And I'm still not crazy about that one either. Now that we're "Airmen" and part of the Air Force "Total Force", why can we use a similar signature block to the one the Air Force uses?

JeffDG

The two line signature isn't bad. It's the one I use when I email the one guy in the wing that worries about email signatures  ;)

Maj John Doe, XYWG/DO
Civil Air Patrol

May not look bad, but it is in violation of CAPR 10-1.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JeffDG on September 15, 2015, 01:24:22 PM

Maj John Doe, XYWG/DO
Civil Air Patrol

That's what NHQ says to use for mobile: http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/public_affairs/branding_resource_guide/sample-signature-bloc/

winterg

Even using the Mobile signature block is cumbersome when you are in a squadron and not assigned to Wing.

Capt John Smith, Anywhere Composite Squadron/DOS
Civil Air Patrol

Or

Capt John Smith, FL-999/DOS
Civil Air Patrol

It is too much for a single line.

TheSkyHornet

I'm not sure why the mobile signature has to differ. In most cases these days, you could send a mobile email and nobody would know it was from a mobile device. My signatures for my PC and my phone are identical.

Question---
Does everyone here include the Social Media links in their signature?

THRAWN

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 15, 2015, 03:02:50 PM
I'm not sure why the mobile signature has to differ. In most cases these days, you could send a mobile email and nobody would know it was from a mobile device. My signatures for my PC and my phone are identical.

Question---

Only if you want to be compliant with the guidance.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

jeders

Question---

Nope. According to the wing PAO, the national PAO says those are optional. Even if they weren't, I still wouldn't use them because they make the sig look even worse.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JeffDG

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on September 15, 2015, 02:48:59 PM

Maj John Doe, XYWG/DO
Civil Air Patrol

That's what NHQ says to use for mobile: http://www.capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/public_affairs/branding_resource_guide/sample-signature-bloc/

I stand corrected.

Storm Chaser

It's also possible for a regulation to be wrong. "Maj John Doe, XYWG/DO" may be authorized by CAPR 10-1, but it implies that Maj Doe is a Major in XYWG/DO, which is not the case. He is a Major in CAP and it should be reflected as such in the signature block.

Tim Day

Question---
I use the authorized plain text version because I work with local military bases and government organizations which convert the html into plain text versions of the code, leaving unattractive gibberish. It's also the closest in resemblance to the Tongue and Quill format email signatures that the rest of the Air Force uses.

Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Tim Day on September 15, 2015, 06:22:42 PM

I use the authorized plain text version because I work with local military bases and government organizations which convert the html into plain text versions of the code, leaving unattractive gibberish. It's also the closest in resemblance to the Tongue and Quill format email signatures that the rest of the Air Force uses.

Likewise; I find the plain text to be more user friendly.  I'm also determined to get as many people as possible to use the official email addresses for their CAP email; in my first year with CAP I had a lot of email that went into my "Junk" folder due to the odd personal email addresses that people use.  One - and I joke not here - was Fluffy@....., and another was clearly an account shared between spouses.  Most unprofessional.

Lt Col Day has gotten a decent system running in VAWG - I simply wish people would use it more!

Antony Davies
Capt, CAP
VA-002

(edited for spelling)

Chappie

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on September 16, 2015, 04:01:53 PM

<snip>
Lt Col Day has gotten a decent system running in VAWG - I simply wish people would use it more! 

Antony Davies
Capt, CAP
VA-002

(edited for spelling)
<snip>

Last year Chaplain, Capt Tim Miner of the VAWG got the CAP Chaplain Corps all on one page when it comes to email.  Using Google, we have an email system where it is first initial/last name@hc.cap.gov. It is professional looking/standardized.  For staff positions at Wing, Region, National there is a special designation that will go with whoever is appointed.   Then of course since it is Google, there is access to various Google apps.

I would imagine that Chaplain Miner had something to do with VAWG setup :)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

A.Member

Maj John Doe, XYWG/DO
Civil Air Patrol

Good god. 

I'm not sure why the mobile signature has to differ.
This.  To add to that, it doesn't need to differ from written correspondence either.

I try not to get to wrapped around the axle about little things unless they're particularly stupid.  This is one of those instances where I'll make an exception.  I've stated it before and I'll state it again:  National has no idea what they're doing when it comes to this.  They've taken a simple topic (one that didn't require a change to begin with) and made it unnecessarily complex with absolutely no value added.   Like many of our regs, CAPR 10-1 did not need an update, it just needed enforcement.

I've got an idea....let's also add animated .gifs to our signature blocks.  After all, who doesn't like a good video?!  Here's mine:
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Panache

Likewise; I find the plain text to be more user friendly. 
Add me to the "uses the plain text signature" crowd.  It's an authorized alternative, and all the social media icons just look too busy and unprofessional to me.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: Panache on September 17, 2015, 06:36:41 AM

Likewise; I find the plain text to be more user friendly. 
Add me to the "uses the plain text signature" crowd.  It's an authorized alternative, and all the social media icons just look too busy and unprofessional to me.

+1

Also, they sometimes glitch up. Sometimes, when I send an email with the social media icons, they will appear fine on my computer, but will appear as huge icons on other devices. :(

Paul Creed III

Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: A.Member on September 16, 2015, 08:36:52 PM

Maj John Doe, XYWG/DO
Civil Air Patrol

Good god. 

I'm not sure why the mobile signature has to differ.
This.  To add to that, it doesn't need to differ from written correspondence either.

I try not to get to wrapped around the axle about little things unless they're particularly stupid.  This is one of those instances where I'll make an exception.  I've stated it before and I'll state it again:  National has no idea what they're doing when it comes to this.  They've taken a simple topic (one that didn't require a change to begin with) and made it unnecessarily complex with absolutely no value added.   Like many of our regs, CAPR 10-1 did not need an update, it just needed enforcement.

I've got an idea....let's also add animated .gifs to our signature blocks.  After all, who doesn't like a good video?!  Here's mine:

Welcome to politics, where the solution to an unenforced issue is making it a new issue