Hawk Mountain Ranger School

Started by CAP Ranger, December 15, 2009, 06:28:31 PM

CAP Ranger

Hey fellow super rangers and those who aspire to be!!!
The purpose of this forum post is to open up discussion about the upcoming 2010 HMRS winter & summer schools!  I must humbly ask that all who participate (at least try  ;)) to stay on topic.

To kick it off.  Hear is the link to the HMRS website http://www.pawingcap.com/hawk/  and the link to the Ranger testing sheets http://www.pawingcap.com/hawk/standardsandeval.htm that should give all who are interested an idea as to what will be required.  Also, it is a good idea (if you plan to attend) to take an extra copy of the ranger testing sheet that you will be working on (that way you won't have to bother your Ranger Staff for another one).

I hope you all will enjoy this topic.
Have fun!!   I know I will!

"These Things We Do So Others May Live"

SilverEagle2

As a former OHWG cadet and R/Adv grad (1st year), I too wish to encourage those interested in going. It is a great school that can, if done right, teach valuable skills, both personal and CAP related.

Remember, a HMRS grad is still a CAP member first and foremost.

Aspire to be a great CAP member and you will be a good "Ranger School" grad once you leave.

Reverse the order above and you will be something else entirely.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Spike

Quote from: C/TSgt RD on December 15, 2009, 06:28:31 PM

Can you tell us who the first person to say this phrase was?  And what year??  (this is a history nerd question)  --And, no it was not some Ranger Staff Cadet. 

capes

Oh no.  Another "super rangers" thread....

CAP Ranger

Quote from: capes on December 16, 2009, 01:49:46 PM
Oh no.  Another "super rangers" thread....

No :P This is a thread to discuss the upcoming Ranger Schools.

Quote from: Spike on December 15, 2009, 09:25:42 PM
Quote from: C/TSgt RD on December 15, 2009, 06:28:31 PM
Can you tell us who the first person to say this phrase was?  And what year??  (this is a history nerd question)  --And, no it was not some Ranger Staff Cadet. 

And no, I am sorry I do not know who was the first to say that. :-\

And please stay on topic.  It's not as if this has been even a rabbit trail.  It's only five post's long...

NCRblues

I think what they are hinting at is their unhappiness with the ranger school and the inflated ego's that appear to roll out of them after every class.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

CAP Ranger

Quote from: NCRblues on December 16, 2009, 02:28:43 PM
I think what they are hinting at is their unhappiness with the ranger school and the inflated ego's that appear to roll out of them after every class.

I have expressed a want to stay on topic about an upcoming NCSA that interest myself and others.  I am not trying to discuss the ego's of Rangers who think the world of *themselves*.  I am trying to discuss (as i said before) a summer activity.  So I ask again that we please stay on topic.  If you want to discuss the ego's of some rotten eggs (and yes not all Rangers have this ego) than you may create your own thread.  Thank you for expressing your opinion.

P.S.
What you have expressed as "the inflated ego's that appear to roll out of them after every class" is not normally ego.  It is a sense of accomplishment.  A sense that the individual cadet can and is making a difference.  What HMRS and CAP in general teaches will not only serve you in S&R it will serve you throughout life and throughout your CAP career.  Is that the "ego" you are talking about?

Spike

MIKE....can we get a LOCK before this gets out of hand??

I almost got myslef suspended again.  I can give lists of ego centered Cadets and Senior Members who came back to the Squadron and had to be reminded the Squadron is not the "Mountain". 

What the heck is a "super Ranger" and "those that aspire to be"??

Anyway...I will give advice, as a person who went twice (once in 1994, and again in 2004): Be able to hike for 2 hours while carrying your equipment.  Make sure you can run 2 miles.  If you have allergies, they may be more severe at Hawk, bring your allergy meds. 

CAP Ranger

Sir,
Did you not reguard anything I said?  I am (was) only trying to talk about 2010 HMRS.  A super ranger is non exestent.  I was trying to be humorous.  If people can not have an on topic discussion than please lock this topic.  Obviously I touched a raw nerve.  I had no intentions of doing so.  Please accept my sincere apologies.

Thank you.

SilverEagle2

QuoteI was trying to be humorous

Was not funny and thus why I made the statements that I made so as to hedge this conversation but you took others bait and have some blame as to why this has now gone off topic.

Refer back to post 2 of this topic.

Hawk was one of my most favorite activities WIWAC.

I encourage any with the right attitude to attend and learn.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Spike

Quote from: C/TSgt RD on December 16, 2009, 03:07:32 PM
Sir,
Did you not regard anything I said?  I am (was) only trying to talk about 20010 HMRS. 

Thank you.

So what do you want me to answer?  Do you have specific questions??  So, based on your reply, unless we went last year to Hawk....our info is not valid enough for you?  I think I know more about Hawk than you do.  Just because I have not gone since 2004, does not mean I lost all contact with those currently in charge.

What exactly do you want us to talk ABOUT HERE?  List the topics, and I will try to accommodate you.   

CAP Ranger

The new and improved HMRS 2010 thread,
The purpose of this forum post is to open up discussion about the upcoming 2010 HMRS winter & summer schools!  I must humbly ask that all who participate to stay on topic.

To kick it off.  Hear is the link to the HMRS website http://www.pawingcap.com/hawk/  and the link to the Ranger testing sheets http://www.pawingcap.com/hawk/standardsandeval.htm that should give all who are interested an idea as to what will be required.  Also, it is a good idea (if you plan to attend) to take an extra copy of the ranger testing sheet that you will be working on (that way you won't have to bother your Ranger Staff for another one).

Thank you all for your participation and advice.  All those who have been and plan to go or just have something interesting ES related or just plain funny please post hear. ;D

I hope you all will enjoy this topic.
Have fun!!   I know I will!

CAP Ranger

Quote from: Spike on December 16, 2009, 03:19:36 PM
Quote from: C/TSgt RD on December 16, 2009, 03:07:32 PM
Sir,
Did you not regard anything I said?  I am (was) only trying to talk about 20010 HMRS. 

Thank you.

So what do you want me to answer?  Do you have specific questions??  So, based on your reply, unless we went last year to Hawk....our info is not valid enough for you?  I think I know more about Hawk than you do.  Just because I have not gone since 2004, does not mean I lost all contact with those currently in charge.

What exactly do you want us to talk ABOUT HERE?  List the topics, and I will try to accommodate you.

Sir,
I meant no offense and I stand duly corrected.  I hope this thread can be fun for all.

Spike

OK.....I checked out the site and when I got to the part about a pink web belt being worn by the worst performer for the day.....well I have lost all respect for the school, its leadership and the participants that carry on this stupid tradition. 

IF I did this in my Squadron, I would be fired, and sued by the parents of the Cadet I made wear a pink web belt.  That is a form of HAZING.  PERIOD.

PERIOD!!!

davidsinn

I'll bite. Will HMRS 2010 continue to flaunt the uniform regulations and wear unauthorized(and tacky) uniform items? (ascots, white boot laces, orange tshirts)
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Hawk200

Quote from: davidsinn on December 16, 2009, 05:36:06 PM
I'll bite. Will HMRS 2010 continue to flaunt the uniform regulations and wear unauthorized(and tacky) uniform items? (ascots, white boot laces, orange tshirts)

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to think so.

NCRblues

I am so horribly surprised that cap has not been sued yet over the treatment of the cadets there. I refuse to attend this, and have little respect for those that flaunt this school as something wonderful. I had several people apply for one of the "advanced" positions in my old unit, which were turned down. One of the senior members that applied was an air force SERE instructor and an IDMT and was told that his training did not count towards the advanced courses (he left cap shortly thereafter). I have to agree with spike on this one, this "school" is out of control.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Turtle1

The degrading treatment of cadets at Hawk is not necessary to train competent Emergency Services personnel.  A few years back I had a cadet that wanted to "wear the orange scarf", well after about five staff training weekends I could keep my mouth shut no longer.  I took the young man and showed him some old footage that was taken at one of our squadron training events, in it it showed him as a good leader one that was respected and well liked, I asked him if he liked how he currently was, his response was "well I'm a staff cadet now" .  Long story short when he actually thought about it he did not like who he was becoming and did in fact drop out of the training.  What never ceases to amaze me is that National is aware of what goes on up at Hawk and yet does nothing to stop it. :(
Marybeth Williams
Major, CAP

Rotorhead

I think more cadets would be better served by what's done at the Colorado Wing GSAR School.

It's about training, not elitism or special uniform items or about having a cool but meaningless title, i.e., "Ranger."

Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SzvIsMC6B4
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

cap235629

Quote from: Spike on December 16, 2009, 05:21:02 PM
OK.....I checked out the site and when I got to the part about a pink web belt being worn by the worst performer for the day.....well I have lost all respect for the school, its leadership and the participants that carry on this stupid tradition. 

IF I did this in my Squadron, I would be fired, and sued by the parents of the Cadet I made wear a pink web belt.  That is a form of HAZING.  PERIOD.

PERIOD!!!

I agree but couldn't find the reference to the pink belt on the page but did find a photo of MG Courter attending the course as a BG, maybe that is the answer to the questions people are raising?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé