Main Menu

Encampment Food

Started by Dutchboy, February 08, 2006, 06:19:58 PM

Peeka

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 28, 2013, 08:40:06 PM
Quote from: aceofspades on May 28, 2013, 03:49:25 PM
Well, what they cant see cant hurt me  8)

_____ is what you do when no one is looking.
...hmm...Core values anyone?

Garibaldi

Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

spazyjosh

Utah wing encampment last year was some of the best food I have ever had!

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: aceofspades on May 28, 2013, 03:49:25 PM
Well, what they cant see cant hurt me  8)
Should I start calling you maple?

The Happy Sergeant

Had some of the best food in my life at Cascade Falcon XVII. Biscuits and gravy(not to mention REAL EGGS!!!!!!) along with a killer burger at the Lewis/McChord D/FAC
Fight to Fly, Fly to Fight, Fight to Win
                                                      ~USAF motto

a2capt

The mess hall at MCBH ranks fairly up in the ranks.. :)
Been eating on base since last Wednesday.

Garibaldi

encampment food...isn't that some kind of oxymoron?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

TexasCadet

The worst encampment "food" that I had was meatballs and sauce on a white hotdog bun. I didn't even eat it. I just had extra fruit instead.
The best was probably either the chicken enchilada casserole or the hamburgers. Like people say, no body joins the military (or goes to encampment) for the food.

PHall

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 13, 2013, 04:19:23 PM
The worst encampment "food" that I had was meatballs and sauce on a white hotdog bun. I didn't even eat it. I just had extra fruit instead.
The best was probably either the chicken enchilada casserole or the hamburgers. Like people say, no body joins the military (or goes to encampment) for the food.

What, you've never had a Meatball Sandwich?   You can go over to Subway and get one for $5.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 13, 2013, 04:19:23 PM
Like people say, no body joins the military (or goes to encampment) for the food.

180 degrees from my encampment experience, and we ate what the Navy recuits ate.

AACS Cadet21

The food is good at COWG encampments, the hamburger buns were a little dry but other than that it was good! We even got Domino's one night, it gave me food poisoning  :(

Eclipse

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on July 19, 2013, 05:41:47 PM
The food is good at COWG encampments, the hamburger buns were a little dry but other than that it was good! We even got Domino's one night, it gave me food poisoning  :(

Your sentence contradicts itself.

"That Others May Zoom"

UH60guy

Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2013, 05:47:05 PM
Your sentence contradicts itself.

Not necessarily- some of my favorite meals made me the sickest (for example, I ate an entire large pizza by myself immediately after returning from a week of no food for SERE training). I guess the situation has some vote in the matter of how good things taste...
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Eclipse

Montezuma would be proud.

"That Others May Zoom"

UH60guy

Quote from: Eclipse on July 19, 2013, 07:51:31 PM
Montezuma would be proud.
Oh, he had his revenge.

But back on topic, VAWG was pretty lucky. Chef Steve from the catering company kept everyone well fed and I have to say, he did a great job. Yeah, there's some standard food fare in there from time to time, but he went out of his way to make it fun for the cadets and even stopped in to say hi at a few of the events throughout the encampment as well.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Luis R. Ramos

I did not have to worry. Found the food at the NY WG Encampment from Good to Excellent.

Sometimes a little bland but a little bit of salt on the side fixed it. Then again I eat a lot at McDonalds.

No Filet Mignon, no "Duck ala Orange" [sic], but it was still great.

Despite some recrimination from some of you guys on a different thread, I will still call Stratton Air National Guard Base cooks chefs!  :clap: ;D

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Jazjar

Back on the subject of encampment food...   I agree with UH60, Chef Steve is an excellent cook.  I am glad my first encampment (this year) was at VAWG.
Le Char bout portant, je tire!!
Clear, Concise, and to the point.
Foxtrot Flight, Squadron 3, VAWG ENC 2013 Hoorah

Al Sayre

WIWAC, we had NY Encampment at Griffiss AFB in Rome NY (it's gone now  :'( ) They had the best breakfast omelets I've ever had before or since.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 30, 2013, 03:05:12 AMThey had the best breakfast omelets I've ever had before or since.

Something I miss about the RTC as well.  Before they went to contracting out food service, recruits would staff the
kitchen during their "buy week" after graduation.  This was early 2000's when they still had consolidated galleys instead
of eating on-board "ship".

In addition to the standard fare, PO's and staff, including our people, were allowed to place "to-orders" for omelettes at breakfast,
as well as a few other "secret menu" items.  You can still do that, but the PO's and Chiefs have to place the orders in advance now since
they don't cook much in the new galleys, it's all done at a central kitchen and then trucked over.

"Corn for the Navy"... memories.

"That Others May Zoom"

ProdigalJim

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 30, 2013, 03:05:12 AM
WIWAC, we had NY Encampment at Griffiss AFB in Rome NY (it's gone now  :'( ) They had the best breakfast omelets I've ever had before or since.

I miss the encampment -- and the food -- at Plattsburgh AFB. NYWG used to have 200-plus there for two weeks...I *loved* that experience, each time I went (as a basic and on staff).

And yes, the food was pretty darn good (except the grits...something tells me that was the only place in upstate NY where one could see "grits" on a menu).
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...