Blue Beret and SAR ribbon

Started by Cadet David Derasmo, April 16, 2014, 06:45:04 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 18, 2014, 03:33:13 AM
Wing staff officers are >not< in the chain of command either and have no authority to establish policy or clarify any regulation beyond providing an opinion, even if informed.

Quote from: Eclipse on April 17, 2014, 06:34:47 PM
"They" don't get to "clarify" anything unless it's found in a reg.

Anything else requires the word "Commander" or "BOG" on your business card.

100% agree.  I fought that battle for years as a commander, and in my time as a wing staffer
everything was "approved by" or "for" the commander.  Staff do not direct action.

"That Others May Zoom"

Archer

Quote from: a2capt on April 18, 2014, 02:11:20 AM
.. and there is nothing wrong with said individuals showing interest, perhaps even attending classroom type training on these ratings, with the explicit understanding that no evaluation is going to take place until such a time when the member is eligible for the rating.

That said, if they pass their evaluation on day one of eligibility, then so be it, short of mission participations, there's nothing precluding knowledge transfer prior to reaching the age.

Who said it is wrong?

lordmonar

Quote from: Archer on April 18, 2014, 09:04:43 AM
.. and there is nothing wrong with said individuals showing interest, perhaps even attending classroom type training on these ratings, with the explicit understanding that no evaluation is going to take place until such a time when the member is eligible for the rating.

That said, if they pass their evaluation on day one of eligibility, then so be it, short of mission participations, there's nothing precluding knowledge transfer prior to reaching the age.

Who said it is wrong?
Eclipse.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

The OP and cadet in question has GTL-specific tasks signed off (not talking about overlaps), to include both GTL exercise participation. This is clearly prohibited in CAPR 60-3. His skills evaluator for both exercise participation is a GBD, AOBD and PSC, to name a few, and should know better.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on April 18, 2014, 01:59:34 PM
Quote from: Archer on April 18, 2014, 09:04:43 AM

Who said it is wrong?
Eclipse.

Transfer all the knowledge you like, whenever you like, that helps everyone.

You can't get anything signed off, or even considered for approval, until you are 18.

Is it possible a cadet would walk in the door on his 18th birthday, have his CC consider and approve the pre-reqs, then
go off and start tasking on the fam/prep, finish that, get it approved by his CC, then sign into a mission
and work on the advanced stuff (yes, you can get Advanced tasks done before fam/prep is done, but you can't be signed into
a mission), and complete two sorties in a single day?

Possible, yes.  Likely, no.  And I would hazard those taskings are less then "comprehensive" - no one aces everything
on the first try.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Eclipse, isn't eServices now disallowing advanced tasks before fam? I don't even offer it as an option - you will get fam done and get trainee approved before we move on.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 18, 2014, 04:18:32 PM
Eclipse, isn't eServices now disallowing advanced tasks before fam?

No, in fact it is so "broken" that it treats CC approvals as simple tasks with no dependencies (at least the last time I checked).

We've had CC's approving FAM/Prep before the tasks were done.

It's been reported to the HD with no response.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Some wings won't accept advanced tasks prior to all prerequisites, Fam & Prep and commander approvals being completed.

a2capt

..and I've had to deal with members using that loophole by getting someone less familiar with the process to "do them a favor and approve this.." "because the ESO is busy right now".

Right. Eventually it gets kicked back, and the ESO gets blamed for being a blocker to progress.

Eclipse

^ Yep - BTDT.  I get to be the roadblock for enforcing basic program tenants which in this day and age should be
handled by software.  Basic If/Then statements that a first year CS student can handle still escape OPS Quals.

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

^^^Ditto. The process gets ignored, validations and approvals made, SQTR gets all the way to Wing where Wing ES rejects it, and then takes the hit for blocking progress. Happens constantly.

As for it being controlled by the software, absolutely it should be.  The answer that NHQ gives us every time as to why the software doesn't, is because commanders need flexibility.

Mike

a2capt

..and flexibility can certainly be integrated into the system in such ways that the UI typically is consistent with the regulations, and overrides have to be explicitly done, and explained, so that as the request makes it's way forward, those in the chain can see that there are exceptions on this request that need to be justified.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Cadet David Derasmo on April 16, 2014, 07:18:37 PM
Also, according to this year's FB page, if you are not a returning beret you can still apply as a Flight Commander. Obviously preference goes to returning berets however what are the odds of this happening? Thank you for your time.

It all depends on your TAC and how he/she wishes to organize the Flight.  Last year, my flight (Hotel Flight) had both Flight Commander and Assistant were not Returning Berets (tm). I did have a Returning Beret (tm) in flight.  he wasn't happy about it.  He thought that just because he was a Returning Beret (tm) made him the defacto choice for Flight/CC despite what other qualifications the other personnel held that in my mind where more important, like advanced GTM Skills.  He wasn't happy, and tried jumping the Chain of Command on me.  Not a smart move.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340