Main Menu

Red Beret?

Started by go4spaatz, September 05, 2013, 09:03:21 PM

Garibaldi

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 06, 2013, 07:56:58 PM
Quote from: UH60guy on September 06, 2013, 07:55:36 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on September 06, 2013, 07:37:12 PM
There is a rumor that a SM Maj was known to be wearing a Maroon beret at NBB.

Of course, he was a former army type dude that wore it in the RM, and only used it inside for proper teaching techniques. 

Careful there... Sergeant Majors have learned to spot uniform deficiencies at 100 paces- tiny text ought to be no problem for them :)
SM Maj is Senior Member Major.....  Im thinkin  Unless he really was a Sgt Maj
Major Major?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

PHall

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 07, 2013, 01:55:33 AM

Of course, he was a former army type dude that wore it in the RM, and only used it inside for proper teaching techniques. 

Careful there... Sergeant Majors have learned to spot uniform deficiencies at 100 paces- tiny text ought to be no problem for them :)
Major Major?

Or a CorperalCaptain! >:D

RogueLeader

When I made Major, last November, the paper printed: "Local Man Promoted to Major Captain."

What the heck is a Major captain?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

PHall

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 07, 2013, 03:43:30 AM
When I made Major, last November, the paper printed: "Local Man Promoted to Major Captain."

What the heck is a Major captain?

One grade up from a Minor Captain!

ol'fido

Eh, did he say he was Captain of the Minnow, Marge?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

RogueLeader

Nope. He only made PFC if my memory serves correctly.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

NIN

Edit based on the noise of the point flying right over my head. You said SM Maj, I saw Sgt Maj. My bad- obviously my eyes are ruined from the squinting you forced upon me.

NVM that the plural of "Sergeant Major" is "Sergeants Major"

I'll show myself out.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Luis R. Ramos

This thread inspired me to do the following...

I am not trying to be disrespectful to the Green Berets, or the cadets at Oshkosh.

Ballad of the Blue Beret
Sung to the tune of Ballad of the Green Beret by Staff Sergeant Barry Sadler and Robin Moore, copyright 1966, modified by Flyer,

Tireless cadets at Oshkosh
Tireless people who run and walk.
Cadets qualified to do just that
The tireless cadets of the Blue Beret.

St Albans crosses on their berets,   
These are cadets, CAP's best!
One hundred will test today,
And all will get their Blue Beret.

Trained to look for overdue aircraft.
Trained to silence disaster beacons.
Cadets tirelessly looking night and day.
Sweat pours out by the gallon.

St Albans crosses on their berets,   
These are cadets, CAP's best!
One hundred will test today,
And all will get their Blue Beret.

Back at home a sister waits...
Her brother at Oshkosh.
She sees his work, she frowns.

I will have your St Albans cross.
I will be one... of CAP's best.
I will train... I will wear the Blue Beret.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

a2capt

What is the connection with St Albans anyway? A town in the UK. Were they instrumental in mustering and organizing large scale events, was there a flying machine contraption gathering there in the early times? It can't be Firefly, that's too new. ;)

Flying Pig

http://www.blueberet.org/blueberetstalbanscross.htm

Ive never been associated with NBB but I asked the same question and was given this.

arajca

Back to the original picture...

It has been stated that the cadet in question is actually wearing a blue beret. Fine, they actually are wearing a blue beret. The picture STILL looks like a red/maroon beret.

For the average person looking at the picture they will see a red/maroon beret and make the logical conclusion the cadet is wearing a different hat and is likely from a different unit/activity. As has already been pointed out, whoever used that particular picture made a mistake by either using it or not noting the color issue in a caption. It comes down to perception. This problem is not, unfortunately, limited to NBB, but is endemic throughout CAP.

a2capt

So, a man who got the shaft under the cloak of kindness.

I thought I'd read that main page before, but not the sub pages. Quick searching for NBB stuff only brought up the Facebook and NCSA sites.

Ah well.

Reading the bottom of that page sure sounds like someone has swallowed the bitter pill. Don't contact me about it, I know nothing.

a2capt

Quote from: arajca on September 08, 2013, 04:30:47 PM

It has been stated that the cadet in question is actually wearing a blue beret. Fine, they actually are wearing a blue beret. The picture STILL looks like a red/maroon beret.
Posted without warning in the midst of a reply .. neato. ;)

Thats where the PAO part in me would say, "wow, here's a really nice shot to use.. if only .." because it portrays the wrong message.

Maybe I can find the two cadets and get the same shot again, maybe a filter will fix the color, maybe in a stretch.. I might add in the caption, "The early morning sun .. "but at the end of the day, they say that a picture is a thousand words.

The very first thing I see there. A cover that stands out, and I think "Why is that?"

To say I'm still quite intrigued that pretty much the only thing that went bad in that photo is the cover. The effect isn't bleeding onto the hemmed rim, the cadets face, the edge of the uniform that is similarly framed by the horizon. None of it. Even the horizon is pretty consistant.

Now to figure out how to use that photography quirk to ones advantage. :)

lordmonar

Quote from: arajca on September 08, 2013, 04:30:47 PM

For the average person looking at the picture they will see a red/maroon beret and make the logical conclusion the cadet is wearing a different hat and is likely from a different unit/activity. As has already been pointed out, whoever used that particular picture made a mistake by either using it or not noting the color issue in a caption. It comes down to perception. This problem is not, unfortunately, limited to NBB, but is endemic throughout CAP.
Define the "average person" and then define what are the consequences if they came to the wrong conclusion that the individual was "likely from a different unit/activity"?

The ONLY people who have heart burn with this are those who a) hate berets in general, b) hate NBB specifically or c) are so strung out on the uniform regs that they need to take a break from CAP Talk.

This whole issue came about because someone wanted to jump on NBB for violating the regs and doing some rouge hat thing at NBB.

The were wrong.....and now you all are trying say "Someone is at fault because I jumped to conclusions".

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NMeyers93

Being the C/Lt Col in question, I have a few comments.

I was the Cadet Executive Officer this year at NBB.  That was evening formation, with the sun setting in the west.  You would know that if you have been to NBB or have been on compound at the activity (or another activity held there).  I was standing in front of the ENTIRE activity, including the Activity Director.  Considering how much 39-1 is stressed, especially by the PAO staff, I'm sure I would have known had I put on a red or maroon beret.

Anyone who knows anything at all about photography would know that the fading or redness is caused by the setting sun.  It in fact does apply to the cadet in the foreground, however, not to the same degree.  You can see it happening on the edge of hers.

I myself am a uniform Nazi, anybody who knows me knows that.

The small St. Alban's pin I received from NBB's '03 Cadet Commander, who happens to hail from Maryland Wing as do I.  He already made an appearance on this thread (CAPSGT I'm looking at you).  The beret I am wearing in the picture is the beret I earned at NBB '12.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen for your concern, but I was, in fact, wearing a Blue Beret.
NOAH V. M. MEYERS, C/Lt Col, CAP

ol'fido

Now that we've heard from the cadet in question and got a real good "no bull" answer from lordmonar about the whole mess, let's get on to something that real people will actually care about.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 08, 2013, 04:05:14 PM
http://www.blueberet.org/blueberetstalbanscross.htm

Ive never been associated with NBB but I asked the same question and was given this.

Agghhh! Why do they call it a "crest?"  It is obviously a shield!  (The crest is the thing that goes on top of the helm or on top of the shield, depending on how depicted).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: NMeyers93 on September 08, 2013, 09:06:02 PM
Being the C/Lt Col in question, I have a few comments.

I was the Cadet Executive Officer this year at NBB.  That was evening formation, with the sun setting in the west.  You would know that if you have been to NBB or have been on compound at the activity (or another activity held there).

I've never been to NBB. Nevertheless, I already knew that the sun sets in the West.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

jeders

Quote from: ol'fido on September 08, 2013, 10:10:40 PM
Now that we've heard from the cadet in question and got a real good "no bull" answer from lordmonar about the whole mess, let's get on to something that real people will actually care about.

Yes, like when we're going to get the ABU beret.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

NIN

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on September 09, 2013, 09:59:39 AM
I've never been to NBB. Nevertheless, I already knew that the sun sets in the West.

Bernie, warn a brother, willya? I had a mouthful of coffee when I read that, and about a quarter of it went out my nose.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.