Florida Encampment Staff

Started by Cms.sloane, August 21, 2010, 03:13:48 AM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: caphornbuckle on September 17, 2010, 08:03:34 AM
Ok...I don't know if this was answered or not but I am curious...what do you call your cadets who are first time attendees at an encampment to distinguish them from the cadet staff when referring to them in general?  Could the term "Trainee" be acceptable?

"Cadets/Basics" vs "Cadet Staff/Staff"

AirAux

If you think about the term Doolies being related to one of, if not the most famous aviator ever, Jimmie Doolittle, perhaps Doolie is term of love and tolerance and not demeaning after all.  If you have ever looked at the Bronze statute of Jimmie at the Academy, you will see that some unknown cadet or cadets routinely polish a certain portion of his statute with great regularity.  This is done out of respect for the man and to honor him and to recall that he was a black sheep at one time before he was proven right.  So, I like to think of Doolie as a term of tolerance for a young, unproven, enthusiastic, proud, airman (or airwoman??). 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AirAux on September 17, 2010, 03:07:03 PM
If you think about the term Doolies being related to one of, if not the most famous aviator ever, Jimmie Doolittle, perhaps Doolie is term of love and tolerance and not demeaning after all.  If you have ever looked at the Bronze statute of Jimmie at the Academy, you will see that some unknown cadet or cadets routinely polish a certain portion of his statute with great regularity.  This is done out of respect for the man and to honor him and to recall that he was a black sheep at one time before he was proven right.  So, I like to think of Doolie as a term of tolerance for a young, unproven, enthusiastic, proud, airman (or airwoman??). 

We've been over this. Doolie = Slave, not Doolittle. The intent was to degrade not associate with an aviator.
Quote"Sir, a doolie is that insignificant whose rank is measured in negative units, one whose potential for learning is unlimited."

AirAux

And you are not big enough to upgrade your thinking??  I have never ever heard the word slave used at USAFA.  Perhaps you have some inside knowledge that I don't.  I like my new definition of Doolie and will use it accordingly because I think it fits very well with the intents and purposes I defined it with. 

Eclipse

Quote from: AirAux on September 17, 2010, 03:47:03 PM
And you are not big enough to upgrade your thinking??  I have never ever heard the word slave used at USAFA.  Perhaps you have some inside knowledge that I don't.  I like my new definition of Doolie and will use it accordingly because I think it fits very well with the intents and purposes I defined it with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retroactive_continuity

It doesn't change the fact that Superman didn't originally have the power of flight, nor does it make the term less condescending and inappropriate.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AirAux on September 17, 2010, 03:47:03 PM

That's because Doolie means slave! Why not just stick to normal terms instead of this sophomoric crap with convoluted thinking? Why not call all the new cadets Mitchees? You know, after Mitchell? Or Spaazes, after Spaatz? Great logic you have!

AirAux

Just remember, I love you, my little Doolies..

AirAux

And now:::

Dictionary.com:

DOOLIE:
–noun Slang .
a first-year cadet in the U.S. Air Force Academy.

Sorry, It doesn't mention slave anywhere.. And since I know very few cadets that don't want to be first-year cadets at USAFA, I win..YAY..  and I will still cherish and use my definition of Doolie as often and timely as I can..  Let's hear if for Jimmie Doolittle and all of the Doolies that followed..  Remember my Doolies, I love you all and will help you reach your dreams and goals.. It's my job and I love it..

a2capt

I don't care what euphemisms are applied to it, the spirit and intent at which is most commonly used is pretty much intended of some form of degradation or segregation.

With that, no amount of icing is going to change it.

Eclipse

Quote from: AirAux on September 17, 2010, 04:14:55 PM
And now:::

Dictionary.com:

DOOLIE:
–noun Slang .
a first-year cadet in the U.S. Air Force Academy.

Nice try.  There are plenty of words in the English language which have an intended meaning and are used otherwise.

Dictionary.com
SLANG:
–noun
1.very informal usage in vocabulary and idiom that is characteristically more metaphorical, playful, elliptical, vivid, and ephemeral than ordinary language, as Hit the road.
2. (in English and some other languages) speech and writing characterized by the use of vulgar and socially taboo vocabulary and idiomatic expressions.
3. the jargon of a particular class, profession, etc.
4. the special vocabulary of thieves, vagabonds, etc.; argot.

"That Others May Zoom"

AirAux

As usual, Eclipse, you are right.. Anyhow, I have been thinking, I guess we should really call them "Wannabe Doolies" since they haven't reached the ranks of the USAFA yet.  Or would the correct term be "Doolie Wannabes"?  You know this will fit right in with our military wannabes...  Hummm, just a thought...

Ned

Thanks to AirAux and others for running a solid encampment program in FLWG that would be the envy of many other wings.

I suspect there will be some very minor terminology changes for next year, but the great training will continue in FLWG.

Ned Lee
National CP Guy

(Makes note to confer with SER and FLWG DCPs re CAP Core Value of Respect . . . .  8))

AirAux

Ned, if any of my cadets can get through the application process it will be a wonder.  So far, 6 cadets and 5 seniors have not been able to get their applications in.  Oh, on another good point, be sure and have them ask a question regarding SMART goals and then allowing three lines in the question field to answer.  Or the really neat trick is to have the question field grow with the size of the answer so the cadet types a 2 page answer and then when he prints it, it prints the first three lines..  Hehe.. neat trick..  Talk about frustrating,  BUT at least nobody called them doolies, or slaves or segregated them.. NO, they just put impossible obstacles in their way..  Perhaps you haven't had the irate parent call you yet.. So , while you are working on the Core Values, don't forget application design..       

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AirAux on September 17, 2010, 07:38:26 PM
Ned, if any of my cadets can get through the application process it will be a wonder.  So far, 6 cadets and 5 seniors have not been able to get their applications in.  Oh, on another good point, be sure and have them ask a question regarding SMART goals and then allowing three lines in the question field to answer.  Or the really neat trick is to have the question field grow with the size of the answer so the cadet types a 2 page answer and then when he prints it, it prints the first three lines..  Hehe.. neat trick..  Talk about frustrating,  BUT at least nobody called them doolies, or slaves or segregated them.. NO, they just put impossible obstacles in their way..  Perhaps you haven't had the irate parent call you yet.. So , while you are working on the Core Values, don't forget application design..       

You know, it's called open Microsoft Word/Notepad/Wordpad/Etc, write out the answer, print, and attach to the application.

AirAux

No, actually, I and perhaps thousands of others don't know that so perhaps the instructions could be better prepared for those that are attempting to complete the applications, like 12 year old cadets and 36 year old moms and 72 year old grandfathers..  Sorry we aren't all as sharp as you..  or as young, and good looking..

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AirAux on September 17, 2010, 08:13:08 PM
No, actually, I and perhaps thousands of others don't know that so perhaps the instructions could be better prepared for those that are attempting to complete the applications, like 12 year old cadets and 36 year old moms and 72 year old grandfathers..  Sorry we aren't all as sharp as you..  or as young, and good looking..

If they are using the computer to fill out the app, somehow I doubt that. Sure, it takes that extra twitch of the brain to get the idea, but come on! They want to be on staff, where they will definitely have to make some decisions on the spot (like drill for instance), and if this is a stumbling block, maybe they shouldn't be applying for staff at encampment.

AirAux

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.  I guess if everyone does not meet up to your standards they are not wanted or needed.  You have pretty well classified yourself..

vorter

What the meaning of "Doolie" depends on how the receiver interprets it, the cadet being addressed as doolie may not take it offensive. There is also a flaw to using the term, as not all cadets will interpret the word the same way, therefore some cadets will take it the wrong way and should not be used too often. I don't see it offensive, personally. Also, slang isn't always vulgar or inappropriate.
C/2nd Lt Hyeung

davidsinn

Quote from: vorter on September 26, 2010, 11:35:41 PM
What the meaning of "Doolie" depends on how the receiver interprets it, the cadet being addressed as doolie may not take it offensive. There is also a flaw to using the term, as not all cadets will interpret the word the same way, therefore some cadets will take it the wrong way and should not be used too often. I don't see it offensive, personally. Also, slang isn't always vulgar or inappropriate.

You need to take RST.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

vorter

Quote from: davidsinn on September 26, 2010, 11:38:56 PM
Quote from: vorter on September 26, 2010, 11:35:41 PM

You need to take RST.

I did not say I support the term, and I wouldnt use the term either. I simply don't see the term as "demeaning". I'm sure others will disagree though. As this is of much debate.
C/2nd Lt Hyeung