Main Menu

Why I hate e-services

Started by flyguy06, October 09, 2007, 08:31:19 PM

flyguy06

I recently performed a flight to get my Form 5. I entered the info in WMIRS like I am supposed to. My Commander is 74 years old and is not computer savvy. He has to validate that I have completed the form 5 flight. Last meeting, he says he went into his validation screen and saw my name. I was getting a Form 5, O-ride pilot, and Instructor PIlot ( I am a new CFI). He wasnt sure if he should approve it because he said I was a new CFI and wasnt sure if  I could give checkrides. I had to explain to him there is a difference between a Check pilot and an Instructor pilot. he said ok and he would validate it. Well, that was two weeks ago and I havent heard fromhim since.

So, because of the regs and having to do this computer stuff, I am stuck on the ground not flying CAP aircraft and doing O-rides which is what i would like to do. I wish the old days of doing the Form 5 and mailing it up the chain were back.

SJFedor

Make sure you have written designation from your Wing Commander or their designee to be an Instructor Pilot and Cadet Orientation pilot in CAP before it goes active in the system. If you have it, send a copy of it to your unit commander, that'll answer any questions he has.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Tim Medeiros

You can also check the approval status of what you entered by going to My Operations Qualifications/National Reports then clicking on Pilot (also works with ES and Cadet, haven't checked with new CD module) then clicking on the "Click here to view current achievements" link near the top.  In the Status column it will show ACTIVE, EXPIRED: TASKED ELAPSED, or PENDING: UNIT/GROUP/WING* APPROVAL

*Will only show one level, depending on who needs to approve it next

Hope this might help.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

SarDragon

Not everyone has National Reports available.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Tim Medeiros

It is located under CAP Utilities on the left hand side.  There may be confusion between "My Operations Qualifications" link in that location which allows the member to enter their own information as well as pull certain reports and the "Reports" module in the "Operations Qualifications" restricted application which only allows you access to an assigned unit and scope.

In short, I was referring to the link on the left side under CAP Utilities which would be available to everyone to update themselves.
1577/2811

Camas

Quote from: SarDragon on October 10, 2007, 05:22:12 AM
Not everyone has National Reports available.

Quote from: timmed1577 on October 10, 2007, 05:28:29 AM
I was referring to the link on the left side under CAP Utilities which would be available to everyone to update themselves.

I think everyone has "National Reports" - go to "My Operations Qualification/National Reports" under "CAP Utilities" and then to the "reports" module.  You should be able to look up anyone in the entire country.

SarDragon

OK, that seems to be new since that last time I stumbled around in eServices. I do most of my work on the RHS restricted menu.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Camas

Quote from: SarDragon on October 10, 2007, 06:17:21 AM
I do most of my work on the RHS restricted menu.
I hear you.  I'm a WSA like yourself and yes, I do alot of stuff on the "right side"(restricted apps).  But there's a lot of cool stuff for the average Joe on the left side (utilities).  But you gotta poke around and check things out.

a2capt

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 09, 2007, 08:31:19 PM
I recently performed a flight to get my Form 5. I entered the info in WMIRS like I am supposed to. My Commander is 74 years old and is not computer savvy. ...snip ...

So, because of the regs and having to do this computer stuff, I am stuck on the ground not flying CAP aircraft and doing O-rides which is what i would like to do. I wish the old days of doing the Form 5 and mailing it up the chain were back.

The computers are not going away. We know that. They admit-tingly know that, they are just in denial. The Group (or groupless Wing) staff can see all the validations awaiting from below- and they know if there is a backlog. The unit CC can appoint a designee to handle that, which is usually DOS, or ES as well as VC.

They also have reports they can run that specifically show what units have backlogs, there is no excuse for backlogs and all it does is demoralize the membership.

The leaders owe it to the subordinates to delegate these duties to responsible party, even if that means going up the chain to get it done, as approvals can be made by higher headquarters and annotated as such.

I, too, do all my work from the RHS of the thing and I have a lot less issues with e-Services now than previously, WMU itself was a hacked up thing, still is, but it works if you understand it's logic. Being an IT person I don't have issues with any of it and come to expect how it all works. I tend to get everything to submit the first time, the way I need it too or I can work out whatever is needed.

I realize not everyone has either the patience, or understanding, and with the changes in processing, things do happen quicker now when everyone is aware of their positions and responsibilities. The old way of mailing paper meant it had to wait around for groups/wings to meet or have their paperwork day.  Now it's possible to have it all happen in a weeks time even, sometimes the same evening. Because people can do it from home, and not have to come to the unit. But they can't be afraid of it, unsure of it, etc. If they are, they owe it to those, the members, that took their own time to go get the training when it's offered, to get it all squared away for them.

flyguy06

Quote from: timmed1577 on October 10, 2007, 05:14:52 AM
You can also check the approval status of what you entered by going to My Operations Qualifications/National Reports then clicking on Pilot (also works with ES and Cadet, haven't checked with new CD module) then clicking on the "Click here to view current achievements" link near the top.  In the Status column it will show ACTIVE, EXPIRED: TASKED ELAPSED, or PENDING: UNIT/GROUP/WING* APPROVAL

Hope this might help.

Thanks. I followed your instructions and got the desired page. My "Airplane Pilot" is active, but my "Instructor Pilot" is saying "Pending unit approval" what do I do about that?

jeders

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 10, 2007, 03:35:09 PM

Hope this might help.

Thanks. I followed your instructions and got the desired page. My "Airplane Pilot" is active, but my "Instructor Pilot" is saying "Pending unit approval" what do I do about that?

That means the Unit Commander or ESO has to approve it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Camas

My "Instructor Pilot" is saying "Pending unit approval" what do I do about that?

My guess is that it hasn't been approved up the chain of command; possibly by a standards/eval officer or your unit ops officer or unit commander.  It has to be validated and then approved. Then it would have to go up to group (if applicable) and then to wing.  Anyone else got some thoughts on this?

Tim Medeiros

Hope this might help.

You will need to have your Operations Officer (since its pilot related and not ES) or Unit Commander go into eServices and approve it.  On their right hand side of eServices they will see a link that says "Ops Quals Approvals Waiting (#)" where # is the number of approvals waiting.  They can click on that link and be sent to the approvals page.

If you can't tell, I am an emphatic believer that even the newest cadet should know the general process for approvals of certain items they may have to deal with.  I have found that this generally leads to a higher understanding and appreciation for what is needed to happen.  Then again, you have people that think that due to approvals being done online they should happen within an hour of submission.
1577/2811

flyguy06

Quote from: Camas on October 10, 2007, 04:43:32 PM
My "Instructor Pilot" is saying "Pending unit approval" what do I do about that?

My guess is that it hasn't been approved up the chain of command; possibly by a standards/eval officer or your unit ops officer or unit commander.  It has to be validated and then approved. Then it would have to go up to group (if applicable) and then to wing.  Anyone else got some thoughts on this?

We donthave a stand/eval officer or ops officer. I dont think youguys undertsnad MySquadron has thre active members. Me, my Unit Commander and the Deputy Commander. And when i say active I mean they come to weekly meetings. thats it

jeders

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 11, 2007, 02:43:18 AM
Quote from: Camas on October 10, 2007, 04:43:32 PM

We donthave a stand/eval officer or ops officer. I dont think youguys undertsnad MySquadron has thre active members. Me, my Unit Commander and the Deputy Commander. And when i say active I mean they come to weekly meetings. thats it

Well then next time you see your squadron commander, tell him that he needs to go online and do the approval.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SJFedor

Your DC should have access to approve it as well, depending on how your WSA's run things.

If you're still in the hold, contact your Group or Wing Stan/Eval and notify them of the issue. They can help shake the tree.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Camas

Quote from: SJFedor on October 11, 2007, 10:56:20 PM
Your DC should have access to approve it as well, depending on how your WSA's run things.
I'm not so sure of that.  If you're speaking of the Director of Communications (DC) he isn't supposed to be approving people for ES or pilot related achievements.  A WSA cannot assign anyone at whim to approve these achievements; this is strictly allowed to personnel according to duty assignments.  If it's an ES-related achievement then a commander or an ES officer can approve it through the "Approvals Waiting" link under "Restricted Applications"  If it's a CAPPilot related achievement then it would fall to an duty assigned operations officer or standards/evaluation officer in addition to a commander.

Remember, I'm speaking of approvals, not validations; that's a different story.  Validations can be issued to anyone but personally I think issuing validation permissions is like issuing a loaded gun.  You gotta be careful who gets those permissions.

flyguy06

I belive he was speaking about the Deputy Commander when he said DC. Thats why we shouldnt use acronyms tostart out with. People assume others know what we are talking about and we shouldnt do that

bosshawk

FLYGUY06: the various pieces of advice about contacting your Wing Stan Eval guys is good advice.  He/she should be able to set the whole thing up.  Also, your unit CC MUST learn how to approve these things.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

flyguy06

Thanks, actually our WIng Stand/Eval officer used to be in our Squadron and on the outside CAP world, he was my CFI for my commercial license and he is currently my Asst Chief Instructor of where I flight Instruct at. he is the one that brought it to my attention to begin with.

Well, it was approve at unit level. Now it is saying it needs to be approved at Group level.