Why good leaders make you feel safe

Started by Pulsar, May 20, 2014, 10:03:33 PM

Pulsar

This is why I love TED Talks.
Here is a very interesting one on leadership...  :clap:
https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_why_good_leaders_make_you_feel_safe

[lmgtfy]TED Talks[/lmgtfy]
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Гугл переводчик

Awesome! Ill pass this down my to my cadets and I'm sure they will enjoy this!
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

w7sar

Simon Sinek has written two GREAT books on leadership.  I highly recommend "Leaders eat last" which is based on Marine Corps where leaders do eat last.  Sinek has done some awesome research on teams and why some organizations are poised to last long-term.  Money spent on purchasing the book is money WELL spent.  You will enjoy his insights.
Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

Private Investigator

That is why great leaders are great and the others are just that, others. Semper Fi   8)

wacapgh

Quote from: w7sar on May 22, 2014, 06:23:30 PM
"Leaders eat last" which is based on Marine Corps where leaders do eat last. 

Nothing new - We were doing that as cadet officers in the 1970's.

Just another one of the "perks" of being a leader, along with getting up before everyone else, going to bed after everyone else, etc.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: wacapgh on May 22, 2014, 09:47:38 PM

Just another one of the "perks" of being a leader, along with getting up before everyone else, going to bed after everyone else, etc.

That's often times missed on a lot of cadet "leaders". They are more of the "command privilege" mind set.

Pulsar

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 23, 2014, 03:50:48 PM
Quote from: wacapgh on May 22, 2014, 09:47:38 PM

That's often times missed on a lot of cadet "leaders". They are more of the "command privilege" mind set.

true
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

ALH

This reminds me of a story from when I was going through my initial tech training.

So, there I was... Vandenberg AFB, 2009ish.

Rules changed so that officers, who had previously PCS'd to Vandyland, now went as a 6-month TDY in order to save money. We lived in transient housing and ate at the Breakers chow hall (excuse me - dining facility). As the first group of squeaky lieutenants who had to do this, no one was really sure how it would go over. Typically, the chow hall is a place of refuge for the junior enlisted guys, very rarely seeing officer or senior NCOs floating around. Suddenly, there are dozens of lieutenants getting food and taking up space (the two things second lieutenants are good for).

The enlisted airmen going through their tech school also ate there, but as part of a still-regimented lifestyle. They still marched everywhere, obeyed a master of some sort (MTI-stand in or a selected Airman) and stuck to a very precise schedule. When they got to the chow halls, they walked in, ate, cleaned up their mess, and left. If they were late, they didn't catch the bus back across base and had to march the several miles back to the schooling area. That, on top of being late, was all bad juju. The officers, while still on a slightly less stringent schedule, had their own vehicles or shared rides, making their schedules much more flexible. On top of all this, we all showed up for lunch at the exact same time.

Our group of Lts were, if I say so, a little more savvy and considerate than most. We all realized that we had an advantage over the scared-of-officers-still Airmen (which was hilarious, in a sadistic way). As such, we'd make sure that the Airmen got in line ahead of us and got through before we got our food.

Fast forward a few weeks and the second round of Lts come through for training. These guys were real high on themselves (I'll give you one guess on their commissioning source, if anyone is interested in starting a pissing contest) and made it real clear that "We're officers, we need to get in front of the line so we can get back to our important lives!"; this irked us. After seeing this the first day, and then watching a bunch of Airmen barely make the bus back to class, myself and another of the guys from my class pulled their "Alpha" aside of the line and give him a bro-level "Hey man, you really ought to let the other guys go first - they're in a crunch, we're not."

They promptly blew us off. "Yeah, whatever man, you need to learn your place in this game" are what I recall as his exact words. Slightly deflated (or rather, disappointed), we started back to the end of the line for our overboiled beef and Air Force spaghetti-style noodles. Someone behind me tapped my shoulder and said "Hey, sir, did you just talk to them about their being (redacted)s?" I turned around to find a Chief Master Sergeant (E-9) with a conspicuously placed star below his rockers - the Command Chief for a Numbered Air Force happened to be doing one of his "Lunch with Airmen" gigs and saw/overheard the whole thing. "I got this - thanks for giving it a shot; also, thanks for getting at the back of the line." Cue CMSgt walking over to a group of cherry lieutenants and very respectfully asking them to step outside for a few words about leadership.

Five minutes later, four or five visibly deflated lieutenants come back and let every single Airman go into the line ahead of them. Trust your Senior NCOs, kids - they know what they're doing and will  make sure you do too, one way or another (and/or eventually).

Moral(s) of the story - leaders eat last (as mentioned) and, as a lieutenant in the military, find a good SNCO to set you straight.