Main Menu

Why You Love It...

Started by shlebz, March 08, 2012, 07:40:53 PM

shlebz

My parents aren't the most supportive when it comes to CAP. They constantly tell me i should just wait until I join the Air Force to get my training, that way i don't have to pay so much about it. They just don't see that I actually enjoy CAP and I'm not in it for the training (although it is nice). A question from my parents actually made me think a lot.... "Why do you love being in Civil Air Patrol so much? Is really worth all of the money?" So that's what I'm asking you all. Why do you love being in the Civil Air Patrol so much? Are the plusses of being in the Civil Air Patrol outweighing the downsides?

*I am by no mean against being in CAP. I LOVE being involved and love the skills I am learning and the friendships i make. I am just genuinely curious about what your answers are*
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

tribalelder

It's the people.

People who are willing to spend the most valuable and irreplaceable asset, their time, on CAP E/S and cadet program missions.  Whether you are on aircrew status on SAR missions or leading cadets or dealing with the mountain of paperwork that supports those missions, these dedicated people, who I haven't and don't always seen eye-to-eye with since 1965, are exceptional folks, and I am honored to serve my community, state and nation with them. 

CAP membership is all about the people who are all about the missions.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

BillB

You answered your own question. It's the skills you learn and the friendships and contacts that develop trhrough CAP. You get to meet people from all over your state at an encampment. As to cost, you get part of that back if you enlist in the Air Force. Remember you enlist as an E-3, two pay grades above John Doe who has no AFJROTC or CAP training. Another plus is you learn about yourself. What you can accomplish and what goals you can set for yourself. The leadership skills you learn also help in the Air Force or everyday life. So there are more pro's than con's in cadet life.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

lordmonar

It's the cadets, the people and the mission.

The chance to work with some really sharp, dedicated young people.  To be there at the beggining of their lives and careers and to have a chance to make a positive impact on them!

Working with other like minded people.  People who love aviation, cadets and their communities.  Meeting people who have done some really cool things.  Listining to some old farts talk about flying with the Flying Tigers, Yeager, LeMay, et al!  People who have worked in the back range, for the air lines, ect!  That is just priceless.

Finally the missions.  CD, SAR, DR, HLS!  Doing real missions for real people and helping out our USAF while doing it!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

FlyTiger77

Quote from: BillB on March 08, 2012, 08:19:42 PM
You answered your own question. It's the skills you learn and the friendships and contacts that develop trhrough CAP. You get to meet people from all over your state at an encampment. AQs to cost, you get part of that back if you enlist in the Air Force. Remember you enlist as an E-3, two pay grades above John Doe who has no AFJROTC or CAP training. Another plus is you learn about yourself. What you can accomplish and what goals you can set for yourself. The leadership skills you learn also help in the Air Force or everyday life. So there are more pro's than con's in cadet life.

What he said!
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

Cadet, I joined CAP to continue my service to the Air Force.  I had to take a medical discharge from the ANG.

Along the way, one of my major goals came to be providing a safe place for young people, since I didn't have that myself growing up.

CAP, when it works as it should, is supposed to be that "safe place," free of bullying, hazing, pressure to break the law, etc. that young people are subjected to today.

Believe it - when you join the Air Force and get to lovely Lackland, all of what you learned about drill and ceremony, customs and courtesies, Air Force history and proper wear of the uniform, not to mention rank recognition, will give you a bit of a boost.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

abdsp51

My reasoning is to give back what I recieved from the program years ago.  Now it's to provide guidance, mentorship, and structure to todays youth, having seen what can happen without it.

Major Lord

And chicks dig the uniforms......

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

titanII

Quote from: Major Lord on March 08, 2012, 11:36:39 PM
And chicks dig the uniforms......
......basically the entire reason I ever did anything in CAP

I'm kidding, for those that didn't read the sarcasm in this post
No longer active on CAP talk

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: shlebz on March 08, 2012, 07:40:53 PM
My parents aren't the most supportive when it comes to CAP.

That's a shame, but ultimately their opinion should be second place to yours. If they fund your activity participation, I can see where it matters, but you shouldn't be doing ANYTHING because your parents support or don't support it.

Quote from: shlebz on March 08, 2012, 07:40:53 PM
They constantly tell me i should just wait until I join the Air Force to get my training, that way i don't have to pay so much about it.

I spent the best, and most easygoing years of my life as a CAP cadet, actively participating between 13-17, and tapering off due to life obligations after that. The most expensive activity I did? NCSA. The cost of the activity was around $450, and airfare would easily double that, but I was able to score some free seating.

Second most expensive? Encampment, at a whopping $60-70 per year.

Uniforms and uniform items over an active four years had a relatively high cost, but most of that was "start up" cost. Over the years I've bought some insignia, ribbons, etc, but nothing major that was required.

Local activities never ran past the cost of $25-50 for a weekend event.

I guess my point is that I don't see the cost of CAP as an issue, especially when compared with something like High School sports or other activities that can be undertaken outside of school. (My parents pay $50/hour for private Tae Kwon Do lessons once per week on top of an annual ~$1200 for my Eight year old sister).

As for Air Force training, I'm confused, because outside of basic drill and rank recognition, most of AF "training" won't be anything CAP does.

Quote from: shlebz on March 08, 2012, 07:40:53 PMThey just don't see that I actually enjoy CAP and I'm not in it for the training (although it is nice).

Tell them that. When I was around sixteen, my mom asked me why I still kept playing dress up soldiers (more or less). Clearly she didn't understand what CAP does, and some of that is my own fault. Then again, she's not the one who is doing the activity I am. I explained to her that (by that time), I liked CAP for the ability to train the newer cadets, to pass on the knowledge and skills that I had learned. I liked it because it was something positive, and because it was better than watching the TV all evening anyway. I doubt she completely understood, but she understood enough to never question it again.

Quote from: shlebz on March 08, 2012, 07:40:53 PMA question from my parents actually made me think a lot.... "Why do you love being in Civil Air Patrol so much? Is really worth all of the money?" So that's what I'm asking you all. Why do you love being in the Civil Air Patrol so much? Are the plusses of being in the Civil Air Patrol outweighing the downsides?

Outside of egos and personalities, CAP was great as a cadet. If I could go back in time and change the course of my life knowing what I know now? I would have stayed in High School for my senior year instead of graduating a year early (thus being told to either go to college or get a job, which cut into my CAP time). I would have tried to progress past the Earhart. I would have tried to apply to IACE and a few other NCSAs. CAP was always about how much you put into it, and unfortunately the reality of life is that I'll always regret the missed opportunities as opposed to those I had the chance to try. If you feel that for YOU there are more downsides than benefits, then there is a choice YOU need to make. For me? I still have my Encampment 1st Sgt and Cadet Commander magnet name tags on my fridge (they've faded over the years Eclipse!). I still catch myself marching when listening to music. I still want to work with cadets, to pass on my knowledge.

ColonelJack

I, too, joined CAP to continue serving my country in some way connected to the Air Force.  I received a medical discharge from active duty just one week after graduating basic training (back injury - go figure!), and for the next few years couldn't understand why I felt so down, depressed, sad, what have you.  When I was introduced to CAP, it was as if a light came on - I knew why I was down.  I still wanted to serve.

So I do.  In my own way, with some incredibly cool and wonderful people.

Like the fine folks here on CAPTalk.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia