What should a Cadet have in their own personnel file?

Started by Hoorah, November 14, 2009, 04:42:39 PM

Hoorah

I was wondering what  a Cadet should have in their own personnel CAP file?

a2capt

We have three folders in our cadet files:

Achievements (those certificate things.. participation letters, etc)

Tests (PT scores, Form 23 tear offs, etc)
         Inside here, there's a standard letter envelope that has the test slips that have been recorded on the three page foldout thing that tracks progress. The testing officer (me) can drop the recent tests into the folder, and when they go do track for review boards and the like, they only have to look at whats not in the envelope as thats new. Record those on the record and present the record for review board.

Files/whatever. Everything else. The cadet record, Form 150's (31's), medical need-to-knows, whatever else.

All of that sits in it's own individual hanging folder green thing.

James Shaw

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on November 14, 2009, 04:42:39 PM

copies of everything that goes in there. Things happen and if you do not have the paperwork to back it up. It never happened.

I have copies of every award, order and the like.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Hoorah

Quote from: a2capt on November 14, 2009, 05:11:10 PM
We have three folders in our cadet files:

Achievements (those certificate things.. participation letters, etc)

Tests (PT scores, Form 23 tear offs, etc)
         Inside here, there's a standard letter envelope that has the test slips that have been recorded on the three page foldout thing that tracks progress. The testing officer (me) can drop the recent tests into the folder, and when they go do track for review boards and the like, they only have to look at whats not in the envelope as that's new. Record those on the record and present the record for review board.

Files/whatever. Everything else. The cadet record, Form 150's (31's), medical need-to-knows, whatever else.

All of that sits in it's own individual hanging folder green thing.
I would like some pointers in a professional manner to ask for copy's of my CAP personnel file.

Eclipse

Sir,

May I please have a copy of everything in my personnel file so that I will have a copy for myself at home?

"That Others May Zoom"

Hoorah

Quote from: Eclipse on November 14, 2009, 05:52:23 PM
Sir,

May I please have a copy of everything in my personnel file so that I will have a copy for myself at home?
And Mam also.

Майор Хаткевич

Cecil DP

Quote from: caphistorian on November 14, 2009, 05:17:18 PM

copies of everything that goes in there. Things happen and if you do not have the paperwork to back it up. It never happened.

All members (Cadet and Senior) should have their own private membership file. In addition to the items listed CAPF 12/15, , all certificates, Personnel Actions, F2 and 2a's. You should have the originals, the Squadron gets the copies
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Cecil DP on November 14, 2009, 07:10:09 PM
Quote from: caphistorian on November 14, 2009, 05:17:18 PM

All members (Cadet and Senior) should have their own private membership file. In addition to the items listed CAPF 12/15, , all certificates, Personnel Actions, F2 and 2a's. You should have the originals, the Squadron gets the copies

The squadron keeps the copies? Really? Does it say that in a reg somewhere? Just asking...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Eclipse

Quote from: RiveraJ on November 15, 2009, 09:44:50 PM
The squadron keeps the copies? Really? Does it say that in a reg somewhere? Just asking...

I couldn't find anything that supported the assertion, but its not worth arguing about it.

With so much emphasis on electronic records, we should all be moving to PDF'ing everything and that's all just a copy anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

Nick

It doesn't say it anywhere, so don't bother looking.  When it comes to certificates, credentialing, and other documents of completion that are presented to members and they furnish to the squadron, the member keeps the original and a copy goes in the file.  For personnel actions, recommendations for decorations, test results, and other forms that are initiated at the squadron, the original goes in the member's file (or in the squadron file system IAW the file maintenance and records disposition plan if it calls for it, then a copy goes in the member's file) and the member can have a copy if they desire.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Cecil DP

If it's a certificate that will affect you in the future, keep the original. More than  one member of this site has had to prove to National Headquarters that they completed a requirement a long time after the fact. An original certificate is great proof of that requirenment being met. In my case I found a mistake of a year in my DPR, by providing the CAPF2 I was able to get it back.

You should also be reviewing your Squadron records on a regular basis at least every year, (though I recommend bi-annually).
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Capt Rivera

Quote from: McLarty on November 15, 2009, 10:53:24 PM

It doesn't say it anywhere, so don't bother looking.  When it comes to certificates, credentialing, and other documents of completion that are presented to members and they furnish to the squadron, the member keeps the original and a copy goes in the file.  For personnel actions, recommendations for decorations, test results, and other forms that are initiated at the squadron, the original goes in the member's file (or in the squadron file system IAW the file maintenance and records disposition plan if it calls for it, then a copy goes in the member's file) and the member can have a copy if they desire.

Okay, that's what I figured...  Thanks for confirming...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 15, 2009, 09:59:50 PM

I couldn't find anything that supported the assertion, but its not worth arguing about it.

With so much emphasis on electronic records, we should all be moving to PDF'ing everything and that's all just a copy anyway.

Quote from: CAPR 39-2 para 1-11 b2) When a member transfers, the transferring member will hand carry his or her records to the gaining unit.

Quote from: CAPR 39-2 para 1-81-8. Inactive Records. Members who transfer, resign, retire, or fail to renew may request their membership records from the unit. The unit should keep a copy of the former member's personnel record in the inactive file. Members whose membership is not renewed or terminated may request a copy of their membership records from the unit; however, the unit will retain the official records. Records not requested by former members will be removed from the unit's active file and arranged alphabetically in an inactive file. The unit is required to maintain records of former members for 5 years unless otherwise directed by Membership Services (NHQ CAP/LMM). If not requested after the 5th year, records will be destroyed.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Disregard....I lost the thread of the conversation.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Nick

Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Short Field

Lordmonar had a rough weekend working the Nellis Air Show with his cadets.   ;D  Old folks can run with the cadets, they just don't recover as fast.   :D  ;D
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640