What is a good retention rate for senior members?

Started by RiverAux, April 13, 2009, 11:02:43 PM

RiverAux

I recently came across a document from one of the state military departments discussing their goals and I noticed that their target for retention rates was 85%. 

What do you think would be a good target retention rate (the % of members who renew from one year to the next) for CAP senior members? 

I think 85% is a little unrealistic for CAP since we have to account for the fact that many people will join without really knowing what they're getting into and won't renew that first year (even assuming they join a great squadron).  We also have to take into aco[censored] that many of our members join at a somewhat "advanced" age and you can't expect them to really be around forever. 

I think that a 75% retention rate would be respectable.  Some of you might be saying, "Hold on their hoss, that means we lose one out of four seniors every year.  Thats scary and means that we're not doing a good job".  I don't necessarily agree.  You can have a pretty good organization yet still have to constantly recruit new members.  Heck, the military does a great job with a force that is overwhelmingly inexperienced at any one time.  You just need a core of folks to guide them. 

RADIOMAN015

I think you have to look at different phases in a "volunteer's
progression in the program.  Realistically lst year members, 50%.  Two to Three Year members, 70%;  perhaps over 5 year members 80%.   These should be "active" members that participate on a regular basis in squadron or other command level activities, not personnel who are just on the books to make the numbers look good!  (and remember as far as National Hdqs is concerned, IT IS a NUMBERS GAME FIRST, quantity is more important that quality (which can can a diverse definition)!
RM   

RiverAux

This report from the Corporation for National and Community Service indicates that the national retention rate for volunteers is only about 66%.  So, if CAP loses a third of its members every year it would be about average. 

http://www.volunteeringinamerica.gov/assets/resources/VIA_Brief_FINAL.pdf