What specialty did you choose?

Started by bmharold, September 08, 2011, 08:23:33 PM

bmharold

What specialty did you choose, and why?

What do you like and dislike about your specialty?

I am asking because as you know I am still on the fence about joining.

lordmonar

Which one?

Started as CP...because I was in a CP squadorn.
Addes ES and AE as I was doing both of those as well.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Sapper168

I chose the one where i get to drink coffee and tell war stories to the cadets.... ;)  >:D   

Seriously though, i started with ES, specifically to do ground team work and have picked up Cadet programs since i do alot of work with the cadets anyway.   Im sure eventually i will pick up Professional Development, Communications and Safety.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

biomed441

CP and LG.  Senior rated in both at the moment. (Master in LG pending CLC so I can get my LvL 3 sent in.... any wings in SWR got one coming up soon that IS NOT web based or requiring a webcam to attend?)

Picked CP because of my prior time as a cadet, and always wanted to continue within the cadet program at some level.  The specialty itself I don't necessarily "like" but I like the opportunities I've had working with the cadet program at the squadron, wing, and region levels.

Picked LG because it sounded like a good idea at the time... Its a fairly easy specialty to work with at the squadron level and because of that, balances well with the more challenging specialties.  The LG Duty can be a bit tiresome, especially at the wing level, or if you have a high flow squadron inventory (lots of uniforms that get issued out regularly). 

As for being on the fence about joining, I wouldn't let specialty tracks really dictate that decision.  Talk with some of the members in the unit you are considering and see what their experiences are as they will differ by unit. For example, in my unit we have a, You pick one, I pick one policy where You pic whatever job or specialty you want, and the commander will pick another one based on what the squadron needs.  So see how the squadrons around you handle that.  Some may not care at all and at which point you should speak with your units professional development officer (if they have one) or commander about what you should do, and where some of your own personal interests and experiences are.  Good luck in your decision.  CAP regardless of your specialty is a great program.

Dad2-4

Started with AE because I'm a teacher and initially joined with a professional appointment to the rank of 1st Lt. Soon afterwards I added CP and working on ES and Comm.

coudano

I hold CP, ES, and IT.
My ES has tapered off steadily over the past several years, CP is definitely my primary, but that makes sense, i'm a deputy commander for cadets.

If I add another one, it will probably be AE.

Tim Medeiros

started with CP, PD, Admin, Personnel and Comm, eventually added IT and DDR when they came out and now I'm also enrolled in IG.

CP because I was a cadet, PD because that was a position I held along with Personnel and Admin.  Comm I started as a cadet, IT and DDR because I held those positions and IG because my wing at the time wanted me to work towards being apart of the SUI inspection teams so I thought what the heck.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Ford73Diesel

Cadet Programs because I was a cadet (C/Capt). They gave me a tech rating. I have no interest in ES or AE.

flyboy53

Started in communications...earned technican. It was actually how I was promoted to second lieutenant years ago because I held what was then a 3rd Class Radio Telephone License with an Element 9 endorsement.

Now have masters ratings in Public Affairs, Cadet Programs and Aerospace Education; and a senior rating as a historian.

James Shaw

I started as a PAO when I returned as a SM. I had been a cadet at the same squadron years before and the CC was the same. I was only able to go 1 meeting per month and it was usually awards night. I did that for a few years.

After my schedule changed I started working with Cadets more and picked up CP, AE, and Safety. I took over as Commander of a school unit during this time.

I added Historian for "fun" and when the OE track came out I applied for it.

I have the following now.

Master CP
Master AE
Master PAO
Master Historian
Master OE
Technician Safety

I have benefitted from them all and have enjoyed all of them.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Thrashed

Read the pamphlets on each to see what they entail. http://www.capmembers.com/forms_publications__regulations/pamphlets.cfm

Some require more time than others at the "job". Some require a position too. I am assistant aerospace education officer, so I can't get my master rating in AE without being the AEO.

I'm the safety officer, but I can't get the senior rating without being a MSO (mission safety officer) and I see no way to become one in my area.

The only area I can progress through the ratings is PD, and I'm the professional development officer. I'm also the standards and evaluations officer, so I can progress on that one too.

Four specialty tracks is enough! I have 7  (2 assistant) positions in my squadron and 2 in my group, so I have plenty to do.  ;)

I didn't choose them. They were all pretty much choosen for me.

Save the triangle thingy

Cliff_Chambliss

Basically I just talked with the Sqn Cdr and asked "Where do you need me".  We discussed the Sqdn needs and the skill sets I brought to the table and that was how it was decided.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Camas

I started with comm but, within a short time, another member with far more comm experience than I joined my unit so I wound up doing professional development which I enjoyed much more - and still do. Got a tech in comm and never progressed past that but I now have a masters in PD and served for six years as wing DPD. My point? You might start in one specialty track but wind up excelling in another. I've got other ratings over the years but I won't bore you with that.

wuzafuzz

I joined for Communications and ES stuff.  Wound up enrolled in the Communications and Public Affairs track.  Since then I earned a Senior rating in Communications.  Stalled in Public Affairs, I just couldn't get excited about the exam extolling the virtues of mimeograph machines ;-) 

Someday I might enroll in ES and learn more about that stuff.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Walkman

I joined for the ES work, but my first duty assignment was PAO since I have a background in marketing/advertising. I switched over the ESO and the ES track last year at my new unit as that's what my main focus is. I was in Cadet Programs for a little while, too. I still work with cadets, but it's mostly on the ES side.

mjbernier

Quote from: Captainbob441 on September 08, 2011, 10:00:16 PM
CP and LG.  Senior rated in both at the moment. (Master in LG pending CLC so I can get my LvL 3 sent in.... any wings in SWR got one coming up soon that IS NOT web based or requiring a webcam to attend?)

Yes! TXWG Group VI (Fort Worth area) is hosting a training weekend in Grand Prairie (southwest of Dallas) on November 5-6. They host these every six months or so; I went to SLS there back in June. They are offering SLS and CLC this time around (they also had a UCC back in June, but it doesn't look like they're having one this time). If you drop a line to the Group CC, Maj. Workman jay@argylefireprotection.com I'm sure he can give you all the details (he was the contact for the June training as well).

Mike
1st Lt Michael Bernier
Information Technology Officer & Public Affairs Officer
Texoma Composite Squadron TX-262
Denison, TX
http://captexoma.org

mjbernier

While I was working on my Level I, I looked around to see where I could best fit into the squadron. It was an easy choice: IT. No one had ever been the ITO in this squadron before, and it showed (unfortunately). It's getting better, but going a lot slower than I had hoped... still, the wheels of progress are starting to turn...

Three months later, our CC asked around to see if anyone else had certain skills that were lacking in the squadron, and Public Affairs was one of them. I've had some experience in that area through previous work on a newsletter and website for a local club, so I volunteered for that one as well...hence the dual positions in my signature below.

Of the two, I'm busier with PAO work right now (my IT plans are on hold anyway while we are remodeling parts of the squadron building). Press releases, a new website, developing a newsletter...there's never a dull moment in PA work!

Mike
1st Lt Michael Bernier
Denison, TX

mjbernier

Quote from: mjbernier on September 12, 2011, 01:24:48 AM
Quote from: Captainbob441 on September 08, 2011, 10:00:16 PM

Yes! TXWG Group VI (Fort Worth area) is hosting a training weekend in Grand Prairie (southwest of Dallas) on November 5-6. They host these every six months or so; I went to SLS there back in June. They are offering SLS and CLC this time around (they also had a UCC back in June, but it doesn't look like they're having one this time). If you drop a line to the Group CC, Maj. Workman jay@argylefireprotection.com I'm sure he can give you all the details (he was the contact for the June training as well).

Mike

I just received an update on these classes -- the location is the same (the Charles England Training Center in Grand Prairie), but the dates have changed. The training weekend has been pushed back one week to November 12-13. They also have added UCC to the offerings, so they'll have all three like they did this past June (SLS, CLC, and UCC). My CC and PDO are "encouraging" me to attend CLC... if I do, that's an awful lot of training to have been through in eight months (all of Level I, plus SLS and OBC for Level II, and now CLC for Level III). Sheesh!

Mike
1st Lt Michael Bernier
Denison, TX

Has been

One of our core values is "Volunteer Service". In order to be of quality service to your unit and the community state and nation you should choose the one that corrisponds to your duty assignment in your unit.

I recommend that once you have gotten a technician rating in your "primary" specialty (most should take about 6 months) you sign up for one you are interested in. This one will make CAP more fun/interesting, it will get you involved in more aspects of CAP, you will meet/get to know more people and you will have had time to figure out what areas are of interest to  you.

It is possible to do both tracks at the same time and it makes  you more valuable at the same time.

You won't need to worry about  your senior rating for some time.