Aircrew Training Videos & In Cockpit Reference

Started by av8r, August 17, 2015, 02:56:58 AM

av8r

Hello All,

I've posted some of these videos previously, but wanted to share an updated list as well as the in-cockpit resource for crews.  I created these videos to assist in both initial and recurrent training. 

Aircrew Training Videos

There are two more training videos in the works (already shot, just need to find time to edit them), and I'll post those here once they are complete.

In-Cockpit Aircrew Reference
I created the Mission Aircrew Procedures and Reference guide for myself initially - it was a collection of materials that I found useful first as a Mission Scanner, then as an Observer, and finally as a Mission Pilot. It was initially based on a bunch of handouts that were given to newly-qualified aircrew in my old squadron (Seattle Squadron). I continued to add to it (including incorporating useful material from publications shared within the CAP community) until it became a much broader guide.  I have been sharing it out for several years - some folks have created hardcopy versions for themselves and a number of units have printed it out and placed in their aircraft as a reference.  It has been especially helpful for MOs who might be a bit rusty with the operation of the G1000 and other aircraft systems.  I've continued to updated it as Civil Air Patrol adopted new technologies and techniques. 

It is offered in two versions:

• Adobe PDF: The PDF version of the MAPR can be printed and bound into a book (it uses the Navy / Marine Corps checklist format / style).  Instructions for creating your own book are included with the guide. Can also be carried on your tablet or smartphone, though if you have an iPad, the version below offers a better experience.
    CAWG Note: Members of the Calfornia Wing should grab the version in the For Official Use Only section of the Wing website (account required).  That version includes a number of CAWG-specific FOUO resources that cannot be published broadly.
    Link: http://1drv.ms/1qsAt0z
  • Apple iBooks Interactive Book For members carrying an iPad, I have created an interactive book that can be downloaded free of charge from the iBook Store (not the iTunes app if you are doing this on your device).  This version is easier to use on an Apple tablet as you can navigate through the guide quite easily and some of the resources are interactive. 
    Link: https://itun.es/us/07gL6.l (direct link to book in iBook Store)

Please Note: Updates to the PDF version of the MAPR are less frequent.  Presently the iBook version offers a more extensive set of resources and this will continue moving forward.  The reason is simple: here in CAWG, the vast majority of our aircrew carry iPads so distribution of updated versions of the guide is easy. 

Questions / Comments / Feedback?  Feel free to email me at jedwards@cawg.cap.gov

Respectfully,

Capt Joshua Edwards, CAP
Deputy Commander, Group 2 (San Francisco Bay)
California Wing

U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

Capt Joshua Edwards CAP
MP/MFC/MO/MS/AOBD/UDF
California Wing

Alaric

Thanks, this is very useful, can I rob and copy them for our ground school for observers?

ProdigalJim

Joshua these are well-done. Thanks for posting and making them available. What are the other two in the works? And (dare I ask?) are you thinking about updating the Becker to cover the Rhototheta?
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

av8r

Quote from: ProdigalJim on August 17, 2015, 08:25:44 PM
Joshua these are well-done. Thanks for posting and making them available. What are the other two in the works? And (dare I ask?) are you thinking about updating the Becker to cover the Rhototheta?

Thank you! 

Yes, one of the two videos in production is a video on the Rhotheta, with special focus on the 406 functions.  Given the substantial differences in operation, I figured it was just easier to make a standalone video for each.  The other is a video on the operation of the TFDM-136 CAP aircraft radio. 
Capt Joshua Edwards CAP
MP/MFC/MO/MS/AOBD/UDF
California Wing