Main Menu

Flight Bag

Started by Angus, May 10, 2012, 03:58:00 PM

Angus

This kinda fits under two topics so mods please feel free to adjust accordingly.

I'm about to start flying more and get my MS and MO back and will be up more often so I won't loose them this time.  I've already got my own head set but need to get a flight bag for them and some other gear. What would be the best one to get?  I'm looking for something that I could probably keep with me whethere I'm in the cockpit or the back seat. I've been looking at the Sky High Gear Freedom VII.  Any thoughts?
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Cliff_Chambliss

Sporty's has a really nice flight bag for about $225.00.  However, the "aviation Department" of Home Depot has what looks like the same bag for $39.00 (it's called a catalog case). 
However, I usually carry an old military helmet bag.  Its big enough for two headsets, Ipad, Handheld radio, gps, notebook, pens & pencils, timer, kneeboard, flashlights, etc.  In fact everything I normally would use in an aircraft.  Depending on the mission, I may or may not carry a 'B' bag with a couple MRE's, space blanket, first aid kit, mirror, a couple bottles of water, etc.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Angus

Can you provide a link please?  I went to their website to look for it the closest I found was what looks like a lapt top bag.  Wnt to make sure that I'm looking at the right thing.
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Persona non grata

look at the 5.11 MOAB  10 BAG...........I use it for flyi ng and other outings........LA POLICE GEAR HAS THEM ON SALE.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

bosshawk

Agree with Cliff:  I have two helmet bags and have used one for probably 12-15 years and it is still good.  Gets dirty: empty it and throw it in the washer.  Soft sided and fits just about anywhere.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

sarmed1

I have personally always used my 3 day assault pack to carry everything in. (CAP and military) Gear inside is broken down into functional kits/smaller bags. If space is tight I can offload mission specific items and store the rest.  I used to use the helmet bag to look like part of the "in" crowd, but I like that if things go to crap I have a bag that I can load things in and start walking if I have too.

The 5.11 MOAB bags are pretty cool though (I have a small one I carry as part of my medical gear for SWAT)

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Persona non grata

MOAB ten works out great because it utlizes a tier system witch in can attach to the 3 day 5.11 bag.  . If you can get a helmet bag for ten bucks............go for it.  I have had mine for ten years with no issues.  I use it for my headset and charts.  I just roll the bag up and store it in the cargo area. 
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

bflynn

Our chief flight instructor says the best place to buy flight equipment is at Staples. (Office Max, WalMart, Target, etc).

Seriously, unless you're getting a Brightline, any bag from a big box store will hold your gear just as effectively for much less cost.

vento

I use one of these. Really handy and about the perfect size to be carry on Cessnas.

Shotgun

I have to concur with using a helmet bag. When I was a student pilot I tried all sorts of packs, bags, cases, clipboards, etc for my flying gear. My friend and flying mentor is a retired F-111 navigator who uses a flight bag. As it seemed to work for him I got one from evilBay and have not looked back!

It holds a HUGE amount of gear, keeps things organized, and looks awesome when you are rocking the zoom bag.

You can't beat the price, so give it a try.

Flying Pig

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on May 10, 2012, 04:31:42 PM
Sporty's has a really nice flight bag for about $225.00. However, the "aviation Department" of Home Depot has what looks like the same bag for $39.00 (it's called a catalog case). 
However, I usually carry an old military helmet bag.  Its big enough for two headsets, Ipad, Handheld radio, gps, notebook, pens & pencils, timer, kneeboard, flashlights, etc.  In fact everything I normally would use in an aircraft.  Depending on the mission, I may or may not carry a 'B' bag with a couple MRE's, space blanket, first aid kit, mirror, a couple bottles of water, etc.

Amen brother!  Ive been carrying a $25 backpack from Walmart for about 4 years now!  Aviation gear is like selling SWAT gear.  You can take a fork, paint it black and put velcro on it and you can charge $200 more for it.  If you can get an F18 pilot to fly with it one time you can say its used by US Navy fighter pilots!!!  If you can get a Navy SEAL to just hold one for just a second while you sneak a photo...your golden!

Ive been using a small black nylon bag with pouches on it and a handle for about, ehhhh, 8 yrs now for a bag for my headset.  Got it for $4 in the "back to school" section of the grocery store.  Its actually a lunch box.  But its foamy, black, little pouches for small stuff, and you'd never know thats what it is.  FOLKS.....flying is expensive enough......dont make it any worse than it has to be!!!   >:D

Angus

Thanks for all the great input.  I think I'm going to use an old back pack I've got that has a few different compartments. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Walkman

I don't use the patrol pack for my CFP-90 in GT ops anymore. So yesterday for my 1st MO training flight, I dropped all my stuff in that and it worked great. I might keep that as my "flight bag" for a while instead of dropping cash on something from Sporty's.

isuhawkeye

I use this bag as a flight bag

planenut767

Quote from: vento on May 10, 2012, 09:44:46 PM
I use one of these. Really handy and about the perfect size to be carry on Cessnas.

I don't suppose you have the name and/or number for this bag you showed do you? Maybe an idea of where they sell it? Thanks in advance.

vento

It is the BrightLine flight bags. Available in all major aviation related stores. There is a discount from the manufacturer to CAP members, but I doubt it is much cheaper than buying somewhere else online.
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_national_hq/member_benefits/aviation_products.cfm

Mustang

I used to be a sales rep for Sky High Gear, the Freedom VII is a fine product (though I now use mine for a range bag, lol). That said, I would check out the Brightline flight bag (not an SHG product) if the pricetag doesn't scare you off. The current generation seems really well made and I've loved the design since it was introduced. Organization and being able to go right to something without digging through a bunch of stuff are key in the flying game, and Brightline's bag is a winner in that regard, imho. Go check out their product video and you'll see what I mean.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

EMT-83

I use a Citrix backpack that was a freebie at a conference. Price was right, and everything I would ever need to carry fits nicely inside the multiple compartments. Headset, charts, maps, clipboard, etc. with plenty of room left over for water and snacks.

I have some expensive hobbies; wasting money on gear isn't one of them.

SarDragon

I got a cheapie from eBay, and I'm mostly not happy with it. There are no stiffeners in it at all, so it flops all over the place, especially when unzipped. If I get another one, I'll get something like the BrightLines.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Walkman

Quote from: EMT-83 on May 23, 2012, 11:46:41 PM
...wasting money on gear isn’t one of them.

Don't think of it as wasting money, think of it as an extensive quality testing program to ensure optimum mission performance.  ;)

Speaking of wasting money on gear, if I were wealthy, I would look like this at the SAREX: http://www.rangerup.com/geardo.html

Back on topic...