FAA Wings Redbird full motion simulator conundrum

Started by ascorbate, September 24, 2011, 03:41:33 PM

ascorbate

So... I followed up on the "Safety Education Integration with the FAA Wings Program" letter sent out by CAPNHQ dated 16 September 2011... then I logged into www.faasafety.gov and started completing the Basic Wings program which I started back in February of this year when I went to one of the Wings seminar (eg. Wings Demystified) held at a local Maryland airport. One of the three other Knowledge Requirements listed is a "1 Day Instrument Skills Course" that reads as follows:

The ATRC One Day Instrument Skills Course is designed to take a instrument rated pilot (Airplane) that is either "Instrument Current" (or within the six month grace period of "Currency") to a higher level of proficiency and self confidence.  This course does not grant a full Instrument Proficiency Check (IPC) at the end of the course. The course is based on requirements outlined in FAR Part 61.57(c)(3) for maintaining ongoing instrument currency in an Advanced Aviation Training Device (AATD).

The course includes two hours of Academic instruction, and three hours of flight instruction in the full motion Redbird FMX 1000 simulator. The Redbird FMX 1000 is qualified as an Advanced Aviation Training Device (AATD) by the FAA.

Academics will include a review of FARs, Instrument Procedures, Systems, Systems and Equipment Malfunctions, Weather, Night Operations, and Performance/Limitations.  The three hours of flight training in the simulator will be given by an FAA Authorized Instrument Instructor and will include: Stalls, Turns, Unusual Attitudes (all 4 per Part 61.57(c)(3)(iv)), Flight Instrument Failures, IFR Procedures, Precision and Non-Precision Approaches, Holding, Course Intercept and Tracking, GPS Operations, Missed/Rejected Approach and Landings, Coupled Approach, Hand Flown Approach, and Abnormal/Emergency Operations.

For the course, the Redbird AATD can be configured as a Cessna 172 with the standard "six pack" or G1000 package, a Cirrus SR-22 with the Avidyne panel, or a Beechcraft Baron 58 with a standard "Six Pack" and Garmin 430's.   All "six pack" panels have Garmin 430 or 530 GPS units installed. Customers may select any of the models or combination of aircraft models for the course. With full motion and a 200 degree field of vision, the Redbird has a full US data base that allows a vast selection of airports, approaches, and airspace.  The AATD allows experiencing weather and situations safely that you would never attempt in a real aircraft.

Enrollment Requirements: Instrument Rating (Airplane) and either fully instrument current or within the six month grace period of currency.  Proof of USA citizenship per TSA requirements.

Applicants must obtain a score of 80% or higher on a written test to be awarded credit for this course.

For additional information and pricing please visit the ATRC website at www.ATRCsim.com.

So for me to make progress in the Basic Wings program, I've been looking for a Redbird FMX1000 simulator that might be in my backyard... and I can't seem to locate one within the state of Maryland. So I'm wondering if I'm stuck with this FAA Basic Wings requirement of completing this "One Day Instrument Skills Course" if I can't find a Redbird simulator anywhere around me? Any ideas?
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

JeffDG

A Form 5 covers 5 of the 6 requirements.  All you need to complete a phase with a Form 5 is a course on "Aeronautical Decision Making", several of which are available for free on the http://faasafety.gov website.